Forums Latest Members

Does the speedy look too big on me

1. omega_jaemaster Aug 14, 2017

Hello, I have been searching for a long time for my next piece and narrowed the options down to two,
    The reason why searching for a new watch took me a while is because finding a watch that looks good on my tiny 5.8 inch wrist with maybe 46-47mm width on the top is a challenging task!.
    I love the speedy but always found it a wee bit big on the wrist so I gave up, but then I heard the 1957 38.6mm limited edition was out so I was very excited but seems like everywhere is sold out

I went to a boutique today and came across the speedmaster FOIS and tried it on, the shop staff of course said it looked good but I wanted to ask for some honest opinions wether the watch looks out of place or looks good.
    I always ended up buying big watches that did not really suit me because the sales staff said it looks fine in the past but this time I'm trying not to just pull the trigger from 1 opinion.

I am tossing up between a new FOIS or a 37mm Jaeger Lecoultre Q1428170 master geographic,
    The jaeger is second hand but costs $2000 more,
    I love them both for different reasons but would like to ask fellow watch lovers which watch looks suits me better.

Thank you and any input will be much appreciated. IMG_1545.JPG IMG_1546.JPG IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1569.JPG

2. mikechi22 Aug 14, 2017

It looks good on the leather band, I think! The metal bracelet looked a little Marley's Ghost on you, but I'm sure it's because it wasn't fitted properly. Do you usually wear short or long-sleeved shirts? If the latter, even less reason for concern.

I'm very wary of big watches myself, so I know where you're coming from but those Speedmasters are iconic and the leather one looks great on you! Fire up the credit card reader!

omega_jaemaster likes this.
  3. omega_jaemaster Aug 14, 2017

Thank you for your reply!
    I wear a combination of short and long really.
    I love both the watches equally for different reasons,
    Please pay little attention on the metal strap, I should have held it to take the shot but it's kinda hanging there, just interested either the face looks too big on my wrist or not. If I choose the jaeger, I will put it on an alligator strap for sure.

The score so far

Looks fine:1
    Looks too big:0

Hope I can get about 10 responses.

Thank you so much

4. Maybe Aug 14, 2017

Speedy looks good, the sales people were right! Much depends on the shape/length of the lugs, not necessarily on millimeters of width. ::rimshot::

5. omega_jaemaster Aug 14, 2017

Thank you for the reply,
    I know that the the diameter is important but lug to lug for someone like me is extremely important.
    I believe the Speedy FOIS is 47?mm L2L which is right there possibly 1mm bigger than my wrist width,
    I always wanted a speedy but never thought I could buy one because of my tiny wrist.
    I'm thankful someone other than the sales person actually said it looks ok!

Much appreciated

Score

Looks fine:2

Maybe likes this.
  6. mikechi22 Aug 14, 2017

The JLC looks a little "blingy" to me as well. I just saw recently that Omega came out with a line of smaller Speedies, in addition to that '57 reissue. Did your boutique have them? I think they call the the 38mm line or some such.

ras47 and omega_jaemaster like this.
  7. Toishome Aug 14, 2017

Speedy please ::love::

8. omega_jaemaster Aug 14, 2017

Thank you for the reply, I did see the 38mm ones today with diamonds which I'm not a fan of, but looked too.... how can I put it... like a "I am a speedmaster but I want to look pretty" type haha sorry for my bad explanation but to sum it up, the speedmaster 38mm did not sing to me, where as the two in the photos did.

I'm not a fan of bling either so if I did go with the jaeger, that's the first thing coming off and on goes the alligator.

So far the score is

Looks fine:3

Surprisingly, the speedy is doing a lot better than anticipated!

9. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Aug 14, 2017

Speedy looks like a great fit! Love the FOIS! That JLC is very cool as well, however those curved lugs make it look a little large and potentially uncomfortable.

Hello from the small wrist club!

Toishome likes this.
  10. mikechi22 Aug 14, 2017

Another vote below in favor! I didn't realize that those 38s ONLY came pimped out with diamonds! That's a big no-no then! From iconic to trashy. Ahem. Too bad the wait is crazy for the '57 reissue as the size is ideal and the look is amazing.

11. herold Aug 14, 2017

Looks fine: +1

12. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Aug 14, 2017

the FOIS looks the better of the two, but am I alone in thinking the lugs of the Speedy Pro would work better on your wrist? Please keep in mind they're essentially the same size, only the crown gourds make the Pro larger but the lugs always look slightly longer on the FOIS to me, I think they curve down less.

Either way, Speedy.

13. omega_jaemaster Aug 14, 2017

Another vote to speedmaster! the sales person might have been telling the truth, which is a first~
    I really wanted to see the 57 speedmaster but I can't even seem to order one because the allocations are all filled already, From 4 different boutiques, even if I saw it though, I think I would have preferred the black bezel vs the plain silver for some reason... I did however try the limited railmaster! And a very blue JLC, silver dial JLC 39mm. Just for the eyes enjoyment, feel free to comment on how they look as well, since I will buy a watch tomorrow no matter what!
    IMG_1562.JPG IMG_1563.JPG IMG_1547.JPG IMG_1558.JPG Please see the pic IMG_1562.JPG IMG_1563.JPG

Seems like with the cursed skinny wrist watch shopping is one of the most challenging tasks but I love them so it's the pain I have to bear with..

I posted on wus forum as well but they said the speedy looked too big, so does the JLC so buy a Rolex lol,
    I'll probably take a friend to give me some opinions after seeing it I flesh.

The score is a clean

Looks fine:4

Just a few more votes and I'm sure I'll post my purchase shortly.

Thank you for all the input!

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 14, 2017

The 38mm comes in non diamond also. 1 diamond and 4 others I thought. There is also the older 38's that I think they no longer make. Although I've never seen the older one in person.

Older 38
    IMG_4698.PNG

15. Bushido Aug 14, 2017

I think the FOIS looks great on your wrist. Nice presence without appearing too large. This is best evidenced by the pic on your wrist from a short distance away. The close ups always distort the size a little bit. The blue dial JLC looks pretty great too.

16. gdupree Aug 14, 2017

One thing to remember about the Speedmaster in regards to the advertised case size is the crown guards. The vintage Speedmasters (along with the reissues) are advertised as 38.6mm because they are measuring the case width, but without the crown itself. However the models from '67 onward included the crown guards, and therefore measured 42mm. But, the dial, bezel and the overall size of the Speedmaster including the crown is the same.

Do the crown-guards make the "42mm" version feel bigger on your wrist? maybe you think so, but I think the dial and bezel and overall size are the biggest factors in the overall feel, which are about the same on all moonwatches. That being said, I do like the look of the no crown-guard versions, and think the speedy you pictured looks great on you.

Edited Mar 27, 2018
    omega_jaemaster and Foo2rama like this.
  17. atc100 Aug 14, 2017

I would take speedy!

18. marturx Aug 14, 2017

IMHO you should try an Omega Officer!

19. Shailor Aug 14, 2017

Pretty much any watch will look big on you. Pick the one you like the best. I always lean towards a Speedmaster. Iconic design. Except the one with diamonds. That one I don't understand.

20. omega_jaemaster Aug 14, 2017

Yes I saw some horrible examples of pimped out speedmasters yesterday at the boutique, and have to say they looked horrible.

As for the 38mm pictures above, thank you for the picture but I dunno... it just looks too modern... hard to explain but I don't immediately feel the love unfortunately.
    I'm going to the boutique to try it on again and possibly see some other smaller options.
    I'll keep you posted with some pics