Forums Latest Members

Does the Mrs limit your collection?

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

Just curious, how many of you gentleman are kept, to some degree under control by your significant others when it comes to spending hundreds (or more often thousands) of dollars on shiny bits of metal from the wonderful town of Bienne?

And do you have any secret methods, bribery, hidden accounts, cash stuffed under a mattress, side work as a gigolo etc to support your purchases or do you simply do it and deal with the yelling later?

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

Nope, lucky enough to have carte blanche to spend with just one condition - any purchase over $1000 she has to know about - not approve of but know about and usually happens after the fact. We have a strict investment plan that we adhere to and non-watch investments that are not touched and as long as this continues then she's happy with the present arrangement.

3. porschefan Aug 17, 2012

Ha! No she doesn't... my wife is an enabler, and she's even bought a couple for me. Besides, I can self- regulate pretty well.

4. alam Aug 17, 2012

nope. never has -on watches or anything for that matter...

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

Three different potential buyers of my sm300 were going to buy and then bailed due to their wives saying no, being a single guy I just didn't understand how getting a girl was the end of toy collecting

6. ulackfocus Aug 17, 2012

No problems from Windy at all. She can have all the purses and shoes she wants and I can have all the watches and fishing equipment I want as long as the necessities are covered.

The key is getting a good woman. Only the bad ones think they can boss you around. Those guys might have flaked and are using their wives as excuses.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

With discretionary saved up personal funds no, or if I sell a toy of mine to fund something else no. Birthdays and Holidays there is the discretion of, this is what you got me (don't think I would try , "Honey I love the 80,000. Lange and sohne you got me for my Birthday":D . If an unusual unplanned item comes up I would have to float , "What do you think of us buying an 18k Grand Luxe as an investment Honey?" and see how it goes:whistling:

She has already planned that if something happens to me it's..., " OK here's the list, now where is the number for that Dennis guy?

8. alam Aug 17, 2012

funny you say that... I have heard this same line around the house. The number/email are under contacts....

9. jud Aug 17, 2012

My wife can be an enabler and a throttle. She has given thousands to spend on watches and also said no to smaller purchases. I get my allowance and can spend it how I please. I also get some of my bonus checks from work. Any toys that I sell, the money is mine to spend as I please. My problem is that I have two expensive hobbies so I am torn where to spend my cash, a bike or a watch?

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

Hehe she gives you an allowance

11. alam Aug 17, 2012

::facepalm1::

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

Spoken like a true single guy. :D

13. Trev The Architect Staff Member Aug 17, 2012

I think some guys just like to be dominated, too. Before you know it, their watch funds are diminishing as they're occupied with clothes shopping, adopting baby seals, etc. :)

14. ulackfocus Aug 17, 2012

I'd like to adopt something with a Patek Philippe Seal. :thumbsup:

..... and thanks for the pleasant reminder of a girlfriend from long ago that used to make clothes shopping very interesting. ;)

15. rbird7282 Aug 17, 2012

Hilarious!

16. rbird7282 Aug 17, 2012

What she doesn't know won't hurt her. The only thing holding me back is funding. No negative comments and she has bought me two watch boxes so far. She wouldn't buy me a watch though, just like I wouldn't buy her shoes.

17. astrosfan Aug 17, 2012

I'm counting myself lucky here. No issues or worries so far at my house. As long as we're continuing to invest & save according to schedule, I can't foresee any problems either.

18. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 18, 2012

Couldn't agree more.

We take care of the household expenses, savings & pensions first, then the rest is discretionary spend. If she knows what I spend it's because we talk & there is no reason to conceal it. In fact, if I did want to conceal it then it'd be a good indicator that I wasn't happy about the purchase myself. :0

19. Wetworks Aug 18, 2012

This for me as well. My wife wants me to do whatever makes me happy, so long as it falls within the realm of being responsible. Short of her being a billionairess, I really can't complain otherwise.:D