Forums Latest Members

Does The Lack Of "swiss Made" At The Dial Bottom Necessarily Mean A Refinished Dial?

1. Ted Shred Jan 31, 2013

Title says it all. I actually just noticed this on a Seamaster (circa. '53 - waffle) of mine.

Thanks

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 31, 2013

Original dials can have swiss made, swiss or neither. They can also be marked with one t or two t's along with swiss made to denote tritium in the dial. Earlier dials (early 40s and earlier are more likely to have neither in the dial. US market watches generally only said swiss and not swiss made.

3. Ted Shred Jan 31, 2013

Ah, thank ya very much. That's great to know as I really love this watch.

4. ulackfocus Jan 31, 2013

Post a picture here and we'll check it out.

5. Ted Shred Jan 31, 2013

Thanks. Here's my gorgeous waffle:
    [​IMG]

alam likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Jan 31, 2013

Nice! Could you tell us what number the end links have on them?

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 31, 2013

Definitely an original dial. Maybe it's under the tension ring?

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2013

could also have been rubbed off in cleaning the dial.

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 31, 2013

EEk! Just saw the post. I recently "deaccessioned " this watch. If this dial is not original, not only do I publicly affirm that I will refund Mr. Shred's dough, but I will purchase and wear a "Mumbai Horror" Omega (in the most lurid possible color) for one month in penance.

10. Ted Shred Jan 31, 2013

Hi Lou. I was torn as to whether to say I bought this off the forum recently. I felt like I was being a bit clandestine by not doing so, but decided to just leave it (I actually wrote a rather long winded post but decided to edit it out) since in no way am I intending to complain or question your bona fides in any way. Hope I didn't come off that way. Just lookin' for details about my beautiful new baby.

I'll check for the number on the end links in just a sec. Edit: one link has "514" and the other a "4".

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 31, 2013

Not taking it personally, Ted - but I would be mortified to find out I unknowingly unloaded a redial on another member.

12. Ted Shred Jan 31, 2013

Cool.:cool: I appreciate your saying that. This forum is awesome and I don't want to be the bratty new kid on the block.

Oh, and thanks Kyle and cicendela for your comments.

13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 1, 2013

Very nice watch, and I see no indication that the dial is anything but original.

14. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 1, 2013

Hi Ted, nice way you dealt with this :thumbsup:
    Btw thank goodness you're Ted Shred and not "Fred Shred" shudder to think what reaction you might have had when you joined. Sure Mr. Shred is global, if not i'll fill you in.

15. Ted Shred Feb 1, 2013

Thanks Tony C. Excellent to hear that seems to be the consensus. I have a fairly humble collection (at the moment), but this one has fast become my favourite of the bunch. I absolutely LOVE how it looks. It's my first bumper, and I get a total little thrill winding it up. It's so cool how you can feel the bumpers in action! Even if it did turn out to be a refinish, I doubt I would have taken LouS up on his kind offer - this baby ain't goin' anywhere.

And thanks Alpha, it was a little awkward so I was very pleased that LouS and everyone else handled my query with such grace. I googled around and, wow, I had no idea that Fred Baldwin had that nickname - I see what you mean!

BTW, my real name is Kevin. Just got into the habit of using Ted Shred for my online handle.

Cheers!

16. ulackfocus Feb 1, 2013

And Tony C.'s real name is Tony. :p

Mine is Dennis. However, even my nieces and nephews call me ulack. (and I fear it doesn't have anything to do with on-line name)

17. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 1, 2013

I've been called so many things over the years that i'll answer to almost anything :(

18. Ted Shred Feb 1, 2013

Hey Guys,

This vintage watch research thing is really tickling my fancy these days, so I did some googling and actually ran into a few examples of Omegas that didn't have "Swiss" or "Swiss Made" at the bottom of the dial. For example, this '58 Seamaster 505

[​IMG]
    http://omega.watchprosite.com/show-nblog.post/ti-471196/fi-677/

As well, here's a circa. '66 Constellation that I've been eying on the bay that's purportedly all original and untouched except for the accidental buffing out of the Omega signature on the crystal (made an offer but I guess not enough since the seller let it expire. I might make this watch the subject of a separate advice thread if I stay interested):

[​IMG]

Which actually, to derail the thread, leads me to a completely unrelated question the answer to which escaped my googlin' skills: how come some Omegas are Chronometres and not Chronometers? Living in Canada, I can dig the European spelling of the unit of measurement but the "metre" thing doesn't make sense to me in relation to a measuring device :confused: (although, admittedly and unfortunately, I'm not bilingual so my confusion might just be ignorance).

19. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

1st Seamaster looks like it has Swiss Made on the bottom and the second is a redial. Personally I think the swiss made or swiss is hiding under your crystal...I have a Constellation where the tension ring is very close to the marker and only when you look at it at a specific angle, you can see where it's under the ring.

20. Ted Shred Feb 1, 2013

Wow, good eye Kyle, that totally escaped me even on a couple zoomifications. I see it now though. Which makes me think you could easily be right on the hiding thing - I'll have to look more closely and maybe grab a magnifying glass (my eyesight, obviously I guess, ain't exactly 20/20). Awesome advice on the second one too - very much appreciated!:thumbsup:

I'm sure I ran into a couple without the words though, but on second thought they might have been (like MSN said) from the 40s. I'll give that another shot on google to see if I can find 'em again

dsio likes this.