Forums Latest Members

Does the JetPilot sing to you as well?

1. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 26, 2015

I admit it, I am a sucker for positive watch reviews it makes me want to buy the watch, which of course is the purpose. I saw the review of the JetPilot on fratellowatches and imidiately fell for it- especially the non-UTC chronograph. The design, the story etc. Just want your opinions, does it sing to anybody else than me? :rolleyes:

http://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-review-jetpilot-jp1-chronograph/

Also any opinions of DLC cases? I have never had one.

Togri

2. happytapy Aug 26, 2015

Hi Togri,

Yep, love these watches. Thanks for the heads up.

On DLC Though, different story. Like the look but not easy to live with. I'm a bit of a WIS so never venture out in my DLC for very long (pity). They are just too darn fragile for me. Once scratched, they cannot be fixed other than by replacing with new. It's not like ceramic at all and my experience has been to not wear them. Double pity. You may be different though, but I can't really cope with this finish. [emoji33]

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  3. redpcar Aug 26, 2015

First glance looks to be a vintage Heuer. Looks good but would take the Heuer or Speedmaster MKII that are essentially the same price.

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 26, 2015

It sounds like a great product.
    I'm confused about the Swatch situation though. Is this the kind of company that will not be able to source movements from Swatch after the beginning of the year? Are they going to have any support for servicing the watch? It doesn't sound like I will be able to rely on my independent watchmaker to service a watch with Swatch-based parts starting next year.

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 26, 2015

Movement parts would be the least of my worries. There appears to be very little information about the production of the watches on their web site. The site says they are entitled to have the Swiss Made label because more than 50% of the value of the watch is Swiss, then they cite the movement being Swiss made. Well that is not the only requirement for a watch to be Swiss made...

So no idea where they are actually made, or who makes them. They list board members and ambassadors, but no one has the title of "watchmaker" it seems. There is nothing that I can see about after sales service on their site. The 7750 series will have parts floating around for it for years after Swatch stops selling parts and movements, so although it won't be as convenient or cheap, parts will likely be out there. But what about the parts that are made by someone for this company? Crystals, seals, crowns, pushers, hands, and the dial? Does the company keep spare parts in stock, and guarantee they will for a period of time like the major companies do (assuming this place stays afloat)?

I would want to know more about the company and how they support their watches before jumping in.

Cheers, Al

Togri v. 2.0 and Time Exposure like this.
  6. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 26, 2015

Sounds like DLC is not for me. And thanks Al for bringing some common sense into this, I only thought about servicing problems for a moment before losing myself in it again. At that price I guess some corners must be cut.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 26, 2015

Not saying at all that you shouldn't buy it if you really like it, but just go in with your eyes open about what you are buying.

Cheers, Al

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 26, 2015

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  9. happytapy Aug 26, 2015

Noticed that they do offer stainless as a cheaper but limited option. I'd be happy.

Orfina/Porsche, Meister Anker, LeJour, Omega, even some vintage Breitlings either share a similar case design to this or were selling the exact same watch decades ago or still do. Even later Sinn watches are similar.

Maybe not quite the same, but check out the autodroma Proto tipo for some fun retro. U.S. based too.

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  10. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 27, 2015

That Porsche Design looks pretty cool. Not a brand I am too familiar with but a lot of people seem to think that it is vastly underrated. I have taken a look at some of the Bell & Ross made by Sinn, they look awesome. See, now I am already in love with another watch ::facepalm1::

11. ulackfocus Aug 27, 2015

I get dizzy looking at that watch. smiley_dizzy.gif

happytapy and NT931 like this.
  12. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 27, 2015

One mans dizziness another mans... uummmm something but I see what you mean.

13. NT931 Aug 27, 2015

I was about to say the dial was too busy but was worried I'd offend the modern Breitling fans :whistling:

Dizzy it is then...

happytapy likes this.
  14. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 27, 2015

if likeing it puts me in the same category as modern Breitling fans, I might change my opinion even though I don't think it's that bad :)