Forums Latest Members

Does the 80/20 rule apply to vintage watch collecting?

1. omegaswisst Dec 8, 2017

Being new to vintage watches I would like to know how forum members approach the purchase of their watches as there appear to be a few factors that come into play.

I imagine some would buy what they like without regard to future monetary returns and maybe some are more speculative and buy only for investment.

Would the majority however base the decision to buy 80% on how much they like the watch and 20% with a view to possible investement potential?

2. dan7800 Dec 8, 2017

Good question.

For me, I want to buy a watch that I) I like II) Is a good value. I plan on keeping my watches a very long time; so predicting value in 30 years isn't something I am too concerned with.

3. tyrantlizardrex Dec 8, 2017

100% on whether you like the watch.

And in the back of your mind, an understanding of whether you're more likely to take a bath, or make a few sheckles should you move a watch along in the future.

Treating collecting anything as an investment is a bad idea.

And buying things you don't 100% like to maybe make some cash in the future is equally a bad idea.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 8, 2017

My approach is very strategic...
    B0B84653-D919-4A91-854C-0FB339AC8894.jpeg

Seacow, Dre, neilfrancis and 29 others like this.
  5. omegaswisst Dec 8, 2017

That’s a great approach.

I see members selling watches to make way for new purchases as they readjust their collection which made me think they keep an eye on future saleability when they make the initial purchase.

mydeafcat likes this.
  6. dan7800 Dec 8, 2017

Many likely do. But as many say, watches are generally a bad investment. I view watches like buying your home. Buy what you like, and if its a good value that that's great if/when you need to sell it.

Candle00, mydeafcat and propervinyl like this.
  7. MaiLollo Dec 8, 2017

I only buy what I like.
    However, I try to buy at a good price, because I'm a freak and I buy more watches than I wear socks :)
    Then, selling is required occasionally, so I can't loose too much every time.

chronoboy64, Lucasssssss and dan7800 like this.
  8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 8, 2017

With relatively inexpensive watches, I simply buy what I like. With more expensive ones (which is subjective, of course), I do give thought to how well they are likely to hold value.

ClarendonVintage, kov, gop76 and 6 others like this.
  9. Zuke Dec 8, 2017

95% of what I own is vintage. I only buy watches that I like, and I wear all of them. With vintage it's all about condition and rarity so I try to focus on finding exceptional examples. I believe that this will have a positive effect on future value.

nonuffinkbloke, Stas, kov and 3 others like this.
  10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 8, 2017

You nailed it. I have a few watches that are more investment than like, and those are the ones that get sold when the time comes to get one that I really like want.

I do view my collection as an investment, but at the end of the day, the watches are for my enjoyment, and the enjoyment of others...I know that sounds strange, but it is fun to share watches with others and vice versa...the conversation and friendship built around these hunks of metal are the best part of the hobby!

When it comes to any watch though, unless you are buying forever, always have an exit strategy as well as your appetite for a possible loss. The main question when I buy a watch is "can I make money when I sell?" - if the answer is no, then I do not buy. I have an allergic reaction to losing money on a watch:)

At the end of the day, buy what speaks to you, as you are the one that will have it on their wrist. I mean, there are Hublot owners out there that are as happy as a pig in shit.

Seacow, nonuffinkbloke, Stas and 17 others like this.
  11. Zuke Dec 8, 2017

@watchknut - I love your collection we have very similar tastes. So please let me know when you are feeling like sharing again. ;)

watch3s likes this.
  12. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 8, 2017

Great minds think alike...I may be sharing in the near future!

watch3s likes this.
  13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 8, 2017

Watches will be worth pennies on the dollar in 30 years anyway. Wear and enjoy!
    ::stirthepot::

nonuffinkbloke, Kmart, kov and 6 others like this.
  14. dscoogs Dec 8, 2017

Roughly 80% on whether or not I like the watch, 20% on whether or not I like the price.
    I have no knowledge on how to make good investment in watches ::facepalm2::

15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 8, 2017

Not those in gold cases... :D

murph likes this.
  16. BenBagbag Dec 8, 2017

Good thing I've started getting watches that have bitcoin cases!

17. jumpingsecond Dec 8, 2017

This is the best part for me. You make money on some (few) you lose on others (much more than few). But honestly if I find someone who likes a watch I have and is passionate about it like I was when I first saw it- I let the watch go even if I take a loss. It's not bc I'm overly generous- it's selfish really-I like to share these things as much as I like to hoard them and it makes for good friends.

Kali77 and murph like this.
  18. Davidt Dec 8, 2017

I only buy what I like and intend to wear. I don't buy any for investment.

Initially every piece I bought was intended to stay with me for the long term. However, I've now come to accept the fact that there are many watches that I love in pictures but when it comes to ownership, I love the chase and enjoy the watch, but don't find myself wearing them. As a result I usually have one eye on value when I buy, as I'm aware that there's a chance I'll be selling after 6-11 months.

I guess one solution is not to buy so many, but I have a problem with that.

Dgercp and mydeafcat like this.
  19. Canuck Dec 8, 2017

If you buy a watch for x dollars, and sell it ten years later for xx dollars, bear in mind that the buying power of a dollar ten years later is considerably reduced because of inflation. Chances are the buying power of a dollar ten years after you buy the watch means you either lost money, or didn’t make any money, when you sell it! Even if you sell it for more than you paid. Making a profit means that if you calculate the original purchase price and add the effects of inflation over ten years, you’d need to sell it for more than the calculated price for it to be an investment. Chances are you’d have been better off having bought a GIC! So, investment value? The investment value is based on your enjoyment of the watch while you own it.

20. MCC Dec 8, 2017

I buy watches because I like them. Why I like a particular watch varies and sometimes include intangibles like the fact that they are associated with a particular event or invention or age. I buy them to wear them not as investments which is probably just as well.