Does the 3861 speedy nylon strap and black aligator strap have interchangeable deployant clasp?

Hi guys!

I am looking at adding a few straps to my 3861 sapphire speedy and I am looking at the nylon strap and a black aligator strap. I am looking at the deployant clasps and see they are quite expensive, thus I am wondering if I could just by one clasp and interchange it between these straps?

According to this thread, the nylon strap has an 16mm clasp, while the leather strap that I found on the omega site comes with an 18mm, so I am wondering if maybe omega has another leather strap that can use the 16mm clasp?

Bonus question: Do people prefer deployant clasps or the regular tangle buckle?

An Omega strap made for a deployant clasp will be interchangeable as long as they are made in the same size (18 or 16 mm). Sport watches work better on deployant buckles, imo. Safer and less stress on the strap.

An Omega strap made for a deployant clasp will be interchangeable as long as they are made in the same size (18 or 16 mm). Sport watches work better on deployant buckles, imo. Safer and less stress on the strap.

Hmm, is deployant buckle the same as a regular tangle buckle?

I assumed that the deployant clasp would be interchangeable as long as the width was the same, but I was also wondering if omega has an oem 16mm aligator strap?

you need to look at 2 measurements; lug width and clasp width. 3861 will be a 20mm lug width, then you can choose to taper to either 18mm or 16mm where it fits either a clasp or buckle. You can interchange same sizes but the straps will be different for foldover clasp vs pin buckle, the buckle style will have "keepers" to fold the tail into while the clasp does not, it folds under the strap for a cleaner look. (IMO)

Tang is like your standard belt buckle while the deployant clasp is a foldover style more like a bracelet, I much prefer deployant clasp personally. Call it deployant, deployment, clasp or buckle as long as it is the Omega foldover style they will all mean the same. I think thats why Omega now calls it "Foldover" vs "Pin Buckle" to avoid the naming confusion.

I only see gator in 20/18 but call an OB or AD they might have a 20/16 in the full catalog.

I would go with the nylon strap with accompanying 16mm deployant, and go custom made for the leather strap. That way you can stick with one deployant and change as you change the strap. That's what I did (custom alligator to fit the Omega deployant). There are many websites that offer completely custom straps of identical quality and craftsmanship to Omega at a lower cost.

Thanks all! I will ask my ad if he knows if there is an 20mm to 16mm black gator. If not, I will probably go custom, and just swap the one foldover 😉

My 3861 came with a nylon strap and deployment. Having never worm a nylon strap I immediately ordered a B&R band classic vintage black strap. While I was waiting for my new strap I started wearing the nylon strap and I haven't changed over yet. I've found the strap and deployment the most comfortable I've ever worn. Give yours a try and let us know what you think.

There is a black gatorskin 20mm taper to 16mm strap for an Omega deployant. It came on the 1861 or 1863 strap (I don't remember which). The problem I have with the 16mm clasp is it's not as versatile for a 20mm strap. There are a lot more 20 taper to 18 vs 20 taper to 16 straps for the Omega deployant clasp.

I've only seen 3 straps total from Omega that are 20 taper to 16: the 1861/1863 black gatorskin, 3861 nylon, and the 3861 black calf. There may be other 20 to 16 straps but I'm not aware of any. 19 taper to 16 is more common with Omega straps.

Fair point about the taper from 20 to 16 only being on 3 straps, if I want to add others later on Maybe I will add the 20->18 gator strap and go for a nato instead… decisions decisions…

It's not just the width you need to consider.
The thickness of the straps in question may be different.
The other fabric strap they make for the Silver Snoopy has a leather doubler in way of the line of holes. There is a deployant which is designed to accommodate this extra thickness and is listed in the parts catalogue.
I think it's basically the same situation for the fabric strap on the 3861.
A thinner strap will surely work in the deployment with the wider gap.

Unless you just have to have an Omega branded strap and buckle there are really better, and cheaper, strap/buckle combinations out there. Many makers will make a strap that runs rings around the Omega strap at half the price, and you can select your own leather type, color, texture, thread color, padding, length, etc. Unless it is a real specialty strap, like the Apollo 8, I don't even look at Omega straps, they are really pretty bland in their coloring.

Thanks for suggestions! I ended up with ordering the omega oem black croc with the foldover clasp (20mm->18mm) then the plan is to order a Artem sailcloth! I will first wait for the oem croc and clasp to see how I like the foldover clasp and either order a pin bluckle variant from artem or their strap that matches the omega foldover 😀

To have the 18mm deployant clasp is imho the better choice for varying straps on your Moonie. In fact there is a black OEM croco leather strap (ref is 98000008) for a 16mm deployant and it originally came with the 3873.50.31 Moon. But these are very rare bird tapering from 20 to 16. More common is 19>16.

Since OEM straps are on a price level beyond all rationale and I'm not willing to support this twice a year (for me beeing a leather strap killer) I've found these here which fits the 18mm clasp perfectly and are of good quality for roughly 10% of the Omega straps in terms of pricing.
This is the crocodile style strap
BOB Marino Alligator Deployment Strap for Omega, 20-22 mm, 4 colors, new! | BOB | WACCEX WATCH ACCESSORIES
and the nytech
BOB Marino Nytech Deployment Strap for Omega, 20-22 mm, black, new! | BOB | WACCEX WATCH ACCESSORIES

I've bought both with white stichting and it works pretty well. For comparison the AT on an original croco strap (ref. 98000244):
IMG_3917.jpg

and here with a brown croco style BOB Band with the OEM Strap lying next:
IMG_4109.jpg IMG_4106.jpg IMG_4105.jpg
Edited: