Forums Latest Members
  1. braddyNOTbrady Apr 7, 2017

Hey there, I have a Speedy (311*005) that is making an odd sound under certain conditions. I am assuming I must have hit it on something, can't remember. Anyway, if I move the watch up and down (crystal up), I can hear a thump (GIF below). It sounds like something is sliding inside the case; however, it's keeping great time! Any clues?

http://gph.is/2nMfbwF

2. braddyNOTbrady Apr 7, 2017

Forgot to mention I know it isn't the crystal. I can pinch it and it still makes the noise.

3. U5512 Apr 7, 2017

There's nothing wrong with your watch. The iron movement cover is a little loose and not making contact with the case back to keep everything nice and tight when the case back is closed. This is a simple and easy fix which I have done a couple times with my Speedmasters. Open the case back and remove the soft iron movement cover. This iron cover has a dimple in the center of it, and you need to find yourself a wood dowel or steel punch the same size (or close to it) of the dimple. Find yourself a scrap wood block with a hole in it (you can make the hole by drilling), and position the iron cover with the dimple in the hole. Put the wood dowel or steel punch in the dimple and lightly tap it with a hammer to increase or lengthen the dimple, which will allow it to make contact with the case back to keep the movement secured. I hope this makes sense...

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 7, 2017
  4. braddyNOTbrady Apr 7, 2017

Thank you for the reply! I was worried I was going to have to get it serviced. I'll give this a shot this weekend.

5. M'Bob Apr 8, 2017

Maybe wait til Archer weighs in...