Forums Latest Members

Does my JLC MC need a service already?

1. Lulu Bear Jun 2, 2015

I've just bought a NOS 40mm Master Control Grand Taille (139.84.20) but I'm wondering whether it needs a service already. My suspicions are based on 2 factors:

1. Apparently the years of production for this model were 2006-2011. That means my watch is 4-9 years old, depending when it was made. It's an automatic so it hasn't been running while tucked away, but I suspect that might be a long time to expect the movement to be properly lubricated, especially if it is closer to the 9 years than the 3.
    2. It is meant to have a 35 hour power reserve but if I fully wind the watch and put it away in my drawer, it stops after about 22 hours of running. Another sign perhaps that things aren't running 100%

Thanks for the advice.

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 2, 2015

Think you answer is in your question. ;) ( hint~ no 2)

3. Lulu Bear Jun 2, 2015

Thanks Standy. I was hoping for a different answer but knew it was unlikely. :(

4. Lulu Bear Jun 2, 2015

Hmmm... I wonder if I should ask JLC to look at the power reserve issue under the warranty?

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 2, 2015

If you bought it from a dealer as true NOS, it should have warranty and certainly I would use it. Tell them it's not holding the proper power reserve.

Just a question - when you say you fully wound it, what does that mean? Using the crown? If so, how many turns? If using the automatic, I would test it again by fully winding through the crown. You want to be prepared for them telling you that you just aren't active enough when you tell them it stops too soon. If you have tested the watch by manually winding it fully, then they can't really argue the point (well they can, but they won't get as far).

Cheers, Al

Darlinboy likes this.
  6. Lulu Bear Jun 2, 2015

I wind it using the crown until resistance.

Just to be clear, though, when I wind it I have put it away (usually my drawer) so there is no automatic winding from wearing it. I assumed that when they talk about a reserve that that means without any input. Is this wrong?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 2, 2015

What I am saying is, if you had just worn the watch and let it wind through the automatic winding system, they could simply argue that you aren't active enough to get it to a fully wound state. If you fully wind it through the crown, they can't make that argument.

For this specific watch I have no idea if you fully wound it or not when you say "until resistance" so I would suggest winding it 70 turns of the crown or more (more won't hurt it) to make sure it's fully wound, and let it sit dial up and see how long it runs.

8. Lulu Bear Jun 2, 2015

Thanks Al.

When I first read 70 I thought there was no way I could turn it that many times, but I have... and more (80). I was only turning it about 30 turns before and as soon as I started to feel some resistance I would stop for free of breaking something. I think you've solved my problem!

Just a follow-on point, can it be wound too much or is there some in-built mechanism that prevents this?

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 2, 2015

From my last post above...

"I would suggest winding it 70 turns of the crown or more (more won't hurt it)"

Cheers, Al

10. Lulu Bear Jun 2, 2015

Thank you!