Forums Latest Members

Does having the means make collecting less enjoyable?

1. bradurani Dec 5, 2021

Hi all, I started this journey 3 years ago trawling eBay for deals on vintage Casios. I learned to repair vintage digitals, and stated buying lots of them and flipping the ones I could rescue. I moved up to vintage Seiko, canvassing pawn shops, flea markets and antique malls. I spent hours sifting through sites, matching disparate parts and reuniting long ago separated bracelets with the cases they belong to. Every purchase took time and care and research, but since I had a lot of time, I made a lot of purchases. I built a collection of 70+ hustled-for pieces, and even added some well-deserved 90s Swiss chronographs I picked up well below market price.
    Then fortune smiled on me, and years of hard work at my job brought me some life changing liquidity. Now if I want something (within reason, I mean, I'm not Producer Michael), I can just buy it. I've done just that a few times, but it's not as rewarding as hustling. I still love watches, but it's too easy when it no longer demands a sacrifice of time and diligent budgeting. Has this happened to anyone else?

I know, I know, poor me, #firstworldproblems, what a ridiculous thing to complain about! I deserve the scornful scoffs you're all making right now. It's just weird when your hobby loses its appeal so quickly and unexpectedly. I guess I need to buy some golf clubs or something.

Alphasports, JayBe, Elitr6 and 5 others like this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 5, 2021

is there anything keeping you from the hustle? the hunt? just 'cause you *can* go out and buy doesn't mean you have to.

NGO1, thelinendial, Om3ga321 and 7 others like this.
  3. bradurani Dec 5, 2021

Yes, hustling for Seikos loses it's appeal when you don't need to do it as a means to your next keeper. The motivation is lost, and my own time has become more valuable.
    One interesting thing, the problem with collecting more expensive brands is there just aren't any out undiscovered in the wild. You're not going to find a Rolex at a flea market. Because I started with the least expensive brands, hustling was more fruitful and enjoyable. If I'd started with pricier brands, like Omega, I would not have been able to spend as much time and derive as much joy from this hobby as I did.

Doc Olives and Foo2rama like this.
  4. repoman Dec 5, 2021

if you want to stay challenged with horology, collect specific vintage watches that are rare to find in good condition... that is much more about the hunt than having money, especially if you choose a brand/model to collect that is in a specific price band within your means that makes it way more about the grind to find good examples. I'm talking about kissing a whole lot of frogs before you find a prince. I've met a lot of well heeled collectors that have done just this, as it gets boring really fast just buying that latest modern piece that tickles your fancy. If this isn't working for you, its time to take a break from the hobby and do something else for awhile. I get bored easily, and cycle through my hobbies when one of them is starting to bore me, but I usually come back to it at some point.

5. JwRosenthal Dec 5, 2021

^^^ what he said.
    I found myself priced out of the market a while back, I got lucky buying some of my best pieces when the market was still sane, but I thought I was out of the hobby just due to my modest salaried income.
    When I started focusing on “common” brands and really becoming discriminating, I realized how hard it is to find exceptional examples of everyday watches. Try finding a mint Zodiac Seawolf. Or perhaps an early Bulova 666 with pristine black dial and perfect, bright puffy lume.
    How about collecting every variant of the Wyler 660 HD’s, and being condition discriminating (I have been at them for a little while and still find new variants that keep me on my toes). It’s not so much about the goal that keeps it fresh, it’s the path.
    Thinking your time is too “valuable” diminishes the value of the pleasure you gained from working on watches. The pleasure was gleaned by the research, the hunting and the resurrection of something lovely by your own handiwork.
    i worked on vintage stereo equipment for years and sold refurbished pieces at the local record shops (I was friends with the owners). I didn’t need to make a living from this, I did it for fun and a little extra scratch. I lost money on most of the stuff I sold if you consider the cost of my labor and shop supplies. But my bench time was my zen time, and the product was repairing something broken or worn and giving it new life. I think that kind of joy and zen is worth your time- and much cheaper than therapy.

As for getting you inspired again, you can always gift those 90’s Chronograph’s to me and start all over again :whistling:…..seriously, I love me some Wyler/Zodiac/Hamilton/Zenith 90’s chrono goodness.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 6, 2021

I got the exact feeling buying knives, coming from watches it was a lot easier to just buy a expensive knife as $$ permitted it.

Needed a hunt type thrill. Soooo

I am now starting at making my own knives. More learning how, and slowly building up to it. Handles first…..

I put this handle on a Spyderco blank
    D7CAA6DC-68C3-48E9-9F35-DD85927E5872.jpeg
    And have done a few more…..
    2FEE12F1-8447-4CA5-9F4D-404FAF93A8BE.jpeg

More fun than buying

3B45654A-4912-4977-9979-4FA505389043.jpeg

Micarta even after wood
    71F83654-982E-448C-A5EE-C95D8F5C3BDD.jpeg

playing with handle materials.
    3E3D7808-9DEA-4739-BCB4-1ED09EEF9671.jpeg

1019A74F-A4D1-44E8-A270-A9DF32B54C63.jpeg

Stuff trying to make a watch though :whistling: :D

JBF1957, apsm100, airansun and 18 others like this.
  7. Shabbaz Dec 6, 2021

I think that for a lot of people to much money did'nt bring them a lot of good. I remember when I could pay for my first hotel room. I was jumping on the bed from joy. Now I'm complaining the pool is'nt up to par.

jaguar11, cristos71, apsm100 and 10 others like this.
  8. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Dec 6, 2021

Btw, watching what you’ve made on Instagram, I’ve been keen to get something from you.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. S.H. Dec 6, 2021

I remarked myself that I don't get 10x more pleasure when I get a 10x more expensive watch... far from it.

It is a very human thing I think, we may be hardwired to desire the next best thing, we do need some restraint and some kind of mental discipline. Maybe let things cool off for a while?

wagudc likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 6, 2021

Let me know ;)
    (Just got some glow in the dark liner material)

Just finishing up a knife for a Canadian buyer from Instagram.
    1F54AD2B-29FB-423C-90BB-E6054FEF6D99.jpeg

EC0D6C81-5355-41F1-A02E-CFB45DF33703.jpeg

This is really bad lighting but getting smoother.
    FF9F70D0-4C30-4C4B-92A4-6045CC3C1020.jpeg

11. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 6, 2021

Time to start collecting boats. That'll take care of a lot of that disposable and plus they're a pain in the ass to deal with, requiring nearly constant maintenance. Perfect!

12. aggie Dec 6, 2021

In a way, having a lot of money certainly spoil many things... in a certain extend. But is it preferable to be short in money... all life long ? Keep your interest for extremely rare items, almost impossible to find. And the thrill of the quest will be intact...

marco and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. crd Dec 6, 2021

I think my favorite description of a boat is “a hole in the water that you pour money into.”

lando, Willi, MRC and 2 others like this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 6, 2021

You do know boat stands for ……Bring Out Another Thousand

Fishing boat nowadays but used to have Ski boats, and took a mate out for the day and after putting $240 worth of fuel in the boat and the car the mate slipped me $20 for fuel when I got back in the car. ::facepalm2::
    (20 years on I still give him stick for this regularly)

Eve, Scarecrow Boat and AAAKK like this.
  15. Dan S Dec 6, 2021

I think you can still find ways to enjoy collecting. Turn your attention away from "value" to the things that give you joy personally, and you may find that you enjoy history, condition, variety, etc. more than prestige.

16. WestCoastTime Dec 6, 2021

There's satisfaction to be had in starting small, evolving your own tastes, & curating a collection that's then your own individual expression.

And I'm now happy with my collection of reasonably priced watches. But, it would feel like "spoiling the batch" if I were to now go & drop in a 5-figures jewelry piece... Would I just wear that one $fancy$ watch & ignore the rest of the collection that I've created a history & a story with? Do I wear the old Seamaster Cosmic (that I love!) & leave the one $fancy$ watch at home on the bedstand?

I collect & wear the (modestly priced) watches that I like & that interest me, & none of that leads me to want to flex out with some heavy hitter that's out of place in the collection I really like.

noelekal and bpsmith like this.
  17. fibonacci Dec 6, 2021

Next level challenge: hunt specific ideas of vintage watches that you've never actually seen but surmise might exist.

PATRICK JP likes this.
  18. dstfno Dec 6, 2021

That's why people switch to Rolex. Even when you have the means you cannot buy them and have to jump through all sort of hoops to get them ::bleh::

Once you've finally sold your soul to the devil, you can become the proud and satisfied owner of a Submariner, hoping that no one will find out what degrading things you had to do to get it.

Edited Dec 6, 2021
    PATRICK JP likes this.
  19. JwRosenthal Dec 6, 2021

But don’t wear that submariner in public for fear of getting attacked by scoundrels jumping out of the bushes and lopping off your arm.

flw and PATRICK JP like this.
  20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 6, 2021

:mad: