does closer0924 polish his watches or leave the patina?

thinking of a purchase from him, but in doing my research on japan sellers, it is mentioned a lot of the watches are overly polished from this country.

is that the case with closer0924's inventory? experiences please.

Have any pics? Imagine it will vary among the pieces, but yes, most polish for retail to show appeal to the masses. Not just Japan.

Closer certainly Doesn’t polish their watches. However, many have been polished previously. Judge each individually

thanks guys, just doing my diligence on his watches before i go through with one. i haven't made a final decision yet.

I’ve bought two watches from Closer in the past 6 months, I’ve been very happy with both. Neither showed signs of polishing.

I bought a vintage Longines automatic from Closer. The date didn’t change and I returned it for a refund.

He subsequently advertised the same watch and assured me that it was repaired. It wasn’t and he again offered me a refund but this time, because I really liked it, I opted to keep it, I sourced the necessary parts and had it serviced and repaired and I now enjoy it.

But, to answer your question, it certainly wasn’t polished.

I e never purchased from closer but he is a regular in my saved searches and his co tinier inventory is insane, prices sane, and tends to show them just as they are. But I think it’s important to remember he is a volume dealer thus I doubt much time is taken to really evaluate the watches thoroughly- but he offers a solid return policy.
Also, the Japanese have historically opted for polishing their watches- they like to keep them looking shiny, so it’s very common to see heavily polished watches on his site- he may not be doing it, but they come to him like that. Just scrutinize them when you buy.

Agreed with JwRosenthal. I've purchased from several Japanese sellers. Those whom I have dealt with have been very ethical and all offered generous return policies. That being said, buyers in the Japanese market do like their watches shiny, so if you're buying something with very defined case edges and chamfers like a dog leg Constellation from a Japanese seller, look at the case carefully before you buy.

I’ve looked at a lot of Closer’s watches. Based on the scratched crystals, wrist cheese in the photos, and volume they’re doing I don’t think they’re cleaning or polishing in any way.

I like how Closer always shows the timing/accuracy of their mechanical watches. The timing of their watches are almost always poor, leading me to believe if highly polished, it was done elsewhere because they clearly didn't do anything to help with accuracy. They seem more like a bottom of the barrel pawn shop to me.

I like how Closer always shows the timing/accuracy of their mechanical watches. The timing of their watches are almost always poor, leading me to believe if highly polished, it was done elsewhere because they clearly didn't do anything to help with accuracy. They seem more like a bottom of the barrel pawn shop to me.
I think that’s a rather unfair statement. They clearly buy and sell in bulk- most likely from sources they have around Asia. They get what they get, sell at market rate and allow the buyer to decide if it’s of decent value for the money and offer no hassle returns- that’s far better than a pawn shop.

I see what they are doing as not much different than 85% of dealers and private watch sales on most collector forums- service history unknown, this is what it is, you can buy it or move along. If one wants a flawless and recently serviced collectible, then you aren’t shopping for it on eBay.

That seller's huge inventory is highly varied, so I don't really think you should make assumptions. Judge each watch carefully on a case-by-case basis.

They get what they get, sell at market rate and allow the buyer to decide if it’s of decent value for the money and offer no hassle returns . . . service history unknown, this is what it is, you can buy it or move along. If one wants a flawless and recently serviced collectible, then you aren’t shopping for it on eBay.
So..... like a pawn shop. But with returns.

'closer0924' is not a member of the Omega Forum.
You can ask the seller directly on eBay or Chrono24.
It is more accurate to get a direct answer from the seller.

)
I think that’s a rather unfair statement. They clearly buy and sell in bulk- most likely from sources they have around Asia. They get what they get, sell at market rate and allow the buyer to decide if it’s of decent value for the money and offer no hassle returns- that’s far better than a pawn shop.

I see what they are doing as not much different than 85% of dealers and private watch sales on most collector forums- service history unknown, this is what it is, you can buy it or move along. If one wants a flawless and recently serviced collectible, then you aren’t shopping for it on eBay.

Well, that may be the intended approach but when I re-bought my watch, I specifically asked before the second purchase if the date change problem, which was the notified reason for my original return and refund, had been resolved/repaired. I was told it had been, which is why I purchased it for a second time.

As, I mentioned above, it hadn’t been resolved, despite the assurance that it had been to their watch repairer. When I contacted Closer, I was again offered a refund. I chose to keep the watch, source the parts and get it repaired.

I only bought one from closer and it was clearly still cheesy in the medallion and the crown. I still felt the price and performance was worth what I paid. I have been looking at a second piece, and you can tell it's not serviced nor it is advertised as such. I feel they try to be honest but as others have said, they are "quick" to return your emails -- remember the time zone differences.

I have a 25 year old Omega De Ville in YG inbound from Closer and based on the pictures it clearly has not been polished.

Just be careful because sometimes a redial gets past them, specifically vintage Omegas. Pricing can be competitive without sales or import taxes, especially Speedys.

I’ve been wondering if Closer accepts offers via email. Anyone ever tried?

I’ve asked a couple of times and they’ve either said no, or offer maybe $20 off the list price.