Forums Latest Members
  1. Growbag Jun 23, 2019

I recently bought this Omega from a colleague of mine and have not been able to find any similar models on either these forums or the on the Omega website's vintage watch section.

It is hand winding and non-hacking, and has a diameter of 30mm. There is some lume left on the digits but is almost completely worn off. I do not believe the strap to be original.

If anyone has information of any kind on this watch I would be very grateful.

PHOTOS:
    IMG_20190623_122024__01.jpg
    This is the lovely patina dial, complete with what looks like a strange scratch - not that I mind, it adds character.

IMG_20190623_122102.jpg
    I am almost certain that the strap is not original and not Omega. It looks far too new compared to the rest of the watch, and has no Omega markings anywhere.

IMG_20190623_122122.jpg
    The glass (or crystal, I'm not too sure) has a bubble shape to it, which is far more noticeable in person at an angle.

Screenshot_20190623-122154__01.jpg
    This is not my photo but my colleague's. I am not at all an expert on vintahe Omega movements so hopefully someone can identify the watch from this. Unfortunately I can't really make out the serial number - it looks like 9762619, which I believe places it at 1943-1944?

Screenshot_20190623-122210__01.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 23, 2019

Foo2rama and Growbag like this.
  3. Growbag Jun 23, 2019

Thanks for the information, I found this very helpful; I will try to take it to my local Omega AD and see if they can remove the caseback and see the reference a bit better. If they can I will update the post with the reference.

The lugs, crown, and case look like an exact match to me, along with the year (1943) matching when I was told it was from. This leads me to believe it is the same model as mine. However the dial is quite different - mine has arabic numerals and regular hands, as opposed to the roman numerals and Breguet hands (I think that's what they're called).

Does anyone know of a reason for this? Could the original watch have been refurbished and replaced with a different dial: I have heard the term "redial" on here and is this what that means? What makes me believe that it is an original dial is that the patina looks authentic, the second markings are very crisp and clean, and the font & logo look consistent. Or perhaps Omega produced some with a different style face to that particular model?

Thanks again for the information, and I will update if I find anything else.

Edited Jun 23, 2019
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 23, 2019

The case reference simply refers to the case. It is typical for there to be many different dial and hand combinations all using the same case.

The hand style is called “pencil” and was quite common in the 1940’s. I think the seconds hand is a replacement, as these were usually blue or black.

Other than that, everything looks as it should.
    gatorcpa

Dan S and Growbag like this.
  5. Growbag Jun 23, 2019

Thanks for the update, I didn't realise there would be different styles of watch using the same case. It must be the one you linked as everything looks like a match.

I agree with the second hand being new as it is very shiny in the light and looks much less aged than the other pencil hands.

Thanks for your help, I'm happy I now know a lot more about my watch.

6. Canuck Jun 23, 2019

Serial number 9762619 (I think it is), on the serial number list I referred to indicates circa 1939.

7. Dan S Jun 23, 2019

The scratch is due to hand drag at some time in the past.