Forums Latest Members

Does anyone here know much about Ulysse Nardin vintage?

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 30, 2018

I don't.

Here's a long story which I'll shorten up: (I've told bits and pieces of the story in other threads). A couple years ago, I make online friends with a doctor on a cancer msg. board.

I get around to telling him I like collecting vintage wristwatches. So, he gets really excited and asks for my adresss so he could send me a watch as a gift.

So, this shows up in the mail (fed ex) the very next day!

His uncle was a doctor and this was his watch. Apparently, this is some sort of doctors watch and he made me promise that it would be gifted to my son when he graduates from med school.

There's more to the story but I'll stop here before I lose your attention.

IMG_4826.JPG IMG_4827.JPG
    Edited Sep 30, 2018
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 30, 2018

Well, as you surely know, the dial has been poorly refinished, and the hands are unoriginal. I'm not sold on the movement, either...

Mark020, sdre, airansun and 3 others like this.
  3. Dan S Sep 30, 2018

Agree on the dial and hands. The engraving on the chronograph bridge isn't very convincing, unfortunately.

4. Rman Sep 30, 2018

Yes that is eye-catching as well.

UN watches for some reason show up with redials and dubious assemblages significantly more often than honest examples.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 30, 2018

Huh? Because you received it for free, and it has meaning to you, readers were supposed to simply voice their congratulations?

What an odd thing to expect, and especially as you implied that you would like opinions from those who know something about the brand.

And no, most vintage chronographs were not redialed, nor were they typically turned into frankenwatches.

Maybe, sdre and ConElPueblo like this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 30, 2018

Not a lover of the case engraving or hallmark either.

My guess is that this was a generic Swiss chronograph that was “upgraded” to a Ulysse Nardin.

We see this a lot with older brands where the value of vintage watches are based more on the recent reputation of the manufacturer than quality of the older pieces.
    gatorcpa

7. Dan S Sep 30, 2018

It's a generous gift, just given the amount of gold, but I guess I assumed you were looking for more information.

Edited Sep 30, 2018
    Mark020, Lonestar and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  8. kingscourt15jwls Sep 30, 2018

Refinished or not, I quite like the dial. Either way, a incredibly generous gesture from your friend.

Anyway, a 'doctors watch' is supposed to look like the Rolex Prince. Tonneau, with two faces.

Still, an awesome gift. I wish I make such good friends.

9. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 30, 2018

L39 movement by the looks of it, doesn't have the characteristic Chronograph Suisse dust cover, and yes hands have been replaced/dial very fresh for the age of the watch.

Constructive feedback should be seen in a positive light, as it is a way to collaborate and be open to new knowledge. If you accept that, then you and we are free to enjoy the watch as you and we see fit.

Dan S likes this.
  10. WatchVaultNYC Sep 30, 2018

I'd like to find a UN expert as well. I have 2 watches that I would at least like to know "when" they are from

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 30, 2018

Not trying to put anything or anyone down. Below is a typical caseback from a Ulysse Nardin chronograph:

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/VINTAGE...H-VALJOUX-23-CALIBER-37MM-1950s-/281601527360Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Here is yours:

[​IMG]

Here is what I notice:

1. The casemaker's responsibility mark is missing.
    2. The Helvetia head is missing.
    3. The shape of the cartouche with the purity is different. It could be that shape of cartouche was used in one of the South American countries, but your case back is specifically marked "Swiss".

It could very well be that the case is 18K gold, but the engraving looks quite modern to me. Have a jeweler do a specific gravity test on the caseback. Then you will know for sure.
    gatorcpa

Lucasssssss likes this.
  12. ConElPueblo Oct 1, 2018

@citizenrich - you act like a child.

Members come on a give an assessment of your watch, just like they'd do for any other member who posted theirs - why should it matter that it was a gift? No-one is questioning motives, they are only fair observations. Sorry if it isn't sugarcoated, but come on... At least acknowledge that @Tony C. and @gatorcpa spent time sharing what they know.

Zdzislaw, Mark020, rolokr and 6 others like this.
  13. septentrio Oct 1, 2018

I'm afraid vintage UN is a minefield. So little true authentic examples out there.

Darlinboy likes this.
  14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 1, 2018

Rich, the TITLE of your post is "Does anyone here know much about Ulysse Nardin vintage?"

And you claim that you weren't seeking any evaluations? Do you not see the jarring dissonance?

That's what I found odd. Though now that you mention it, serving Cheerios for dinner would also qualify. :D

Edited Oct 1, 2018
    citizenrich, GuiltyBoomerang and sdre like this.
  15. Traveler Oct 1, 2018

I can’t be bothered to look for them but there are a few threads from 3-4 years ago that delve into the Frankenfake UNs. For a while there were quite a lot being churned out of Artesia CA, which at the time was a hotbed for counterfeiters. It seemed like they had seized on the fact that (1) Modern UN had become a pricey brand (2) knowledge of vintage UN was sparse and not well documented (3) An unprecedented number of newbs were jumping into vintage Chronos, and were easy prey for these scams. The quality varied, but the common factors were the made up dials, often with incorrect logos for the supposed time period, and the crude movements with UN engravings on the bridge. I hate to pi$$ in anyone’s breakfast cereal. But there is little doubt in my mind that the OP watch is one of these. If you want a different set of opinions ( sounds like you don’t though) post it on the UN sub forum at PuristPro... but cover your Cheerios before ::popcorn::

16. sdre Oct 1, 2018

+1

@citizenrich you are completely overreacting.

17. No Mercy Oct 1, 2018

There are many fake vintage UN out there, mainly come from South America. And yours is 1 of them: this watch is converted from a minor/no name watch. Authentic UN's movement always have serial number, and the script "Ulysse Nardin" engraved on balance bridge look off.
    Dial: off
    Case: off
    Movement: off
    So I cant turn on on your watch ^_^

rolokr likes this.
  18. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 3, 2018

I knew you'd eventually come along Kemosabe lol

Tony C. likes this.
  19. No Mercy Oct 3, 2018

Oops, sorry not your watch ^_^

citizenrich likes this.
  20. ConElPueblo Oct 3, 2018