Forums Latest Members

Does an Omega “build” equal a frankenwatch?

1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 16, 2019

It could be that I never really looked or investigated the build of an Omega, but I notice them more frequently. They claim original Omega parts and all look pretty good. These builds have the disclaimer stating they are not an original edition of the watch. Saw a couple Gemini IV builds at a price 30-40% less than real deal
    Blasphemy or just another option in the Omega world ?

2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 16, 2019

Some people get liposculpture done on their abs. And good for them if that's how they want to spend their time and money. For me it would lack soul. A watch built from legit parts? I'd be proud if I did it myself with rescued parts - but I don't think that I would buy one, and I would certainly pay less for one if I ever did. Then again if I was offered a speedy-build for $500, you'd absolutely see me wearing it in WRUW Today. Maybe a strong gust of wind will blow me off this fence...

thelinendial likes this.
  3. Dan S Oct 16, 2019

If you haven’t already done so, use the search feature to look for threads about Watchco SM300s. This general issue brings out diverse opinions.

4. whyboddau Oct 16, 2019

I’ve had several mods. One I had built with sourced parts to make a 60s style ultraman; one that was a Gemini build my friend had done. As long as they are not passed off as genuine limited editions, I don’t see a problem buying. My only question would be build quality and workmanship from the watchmaker. i have a watchmaker I trust so I’ll go to him for another mod in the future.

I’ve enjoyed wearing mods since the ’safe queen’ value is no longer an issue since resale value is generally less than the sum of the parts.

WYO_Watch, CJpickup57 and DaveK like this.
  5. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 16, 2019

Now resale, that would be a tough part of a build. Buy a build and the later thinking about selling the item, sounds like a “tough” sell

6. BradleyJ. Oct 16, 2019

I dont know the definition of frankenwatch... does it mean different reference watch parts formed into one watch? (Not that this is possible but) speedy dial in a seamaster case....... then I'd call that a Franken. If you had a speedy pro (your basic black dial) and you swapped in an italian white dial then I'd call that modded not Franken.

I'm not down with Franken but I have mixed emotions on modded. If it's done right and tastefully then I can be on board but I'd definitely hold it to lower standards than a factory original piece.

I'm on board with watchco builds for a few reasons. I'm not really a vintage lume kind of guy and I like the idea of it all being new (or new'ish) BUT..... I'm not gonna try to act like it's in the same value range as a true vintage SM300.

CJpickup57 likes this.
  7. CJpickup57 Oct 16, 2019

I would agree.

A problem I think of when I see them is if it is the third, fourth (and so on) owner and somewhere down the ownership trail someone sold it as an original watch to an unknowing person and now they are trying to resell it for what they value it as an original watch without B&P. That part of reselling is what would make me nervous as a buyer when a well known or collectible dial is being sold as an original, but without supporting documents. And the buyer of that piece really has to know his/her stuff about the watch to make an informed purchase.

I personally wouldn't mind purchasing a built watch if it was something I really wanted to wear not just "own" and therefore did not have to worry about damaging it. I make an assumption in saying that the intention of anyone who builds a watch with original parts to keep or buys a built watch with original parts to have a custom piece is a person that is into horology and likes it for what it isn't and wears it for enjoyment.

machamp6650 and BradleyJ. like this.
  8. BradleyJ. Oct 16, 2019

Spot on.

9. gostang9 Oct 16, 2019

I have seen modified watches sold, I have had 2 "built" and bought 1 already "built".

I wear my 3 mod watches all the time with no fear of destroying their value (I'm careful with all my watches, but like to wear them out without having to think about it too much). My one original and "authentic" Speedmaster is ST2 and I almost never wear it for fear of ruining it's value. I got the mod Speedy's because I love the look of them and I love to wear them.

I look at the value of a mod'ed watch as simply the cost to replace it, where condition has little additional impact beyond a basic Speedy: movement + case + dial + hands + service/build = value

Whereas an LE value fluctuates with the wind, where condition has a significant impact on value.

Note: I don't have the correct case back on either of my LE mods, to avoid any confusion if I were to sell and/or subsequent buyer were to sell...

Abram 3 Omega Speedmasters.jpg

kipao, speedamatuer and MoclovFlop like this.
  10. gostang9 Oct 16, 2019

Spot on!

~$3100 for a Standard Speedy Pro within 5 years of being serviced (not an old tattered "runs fine, suggest service" example...)
    ~$ 900 for an LE dial and hand-set
    ~$ 200 for watchmaker to put together
    ~$4200 for a wearable Speedy that looks amazing on the wrist and will stay around that value with a few minor dings and scratches

vs. the alternative:
    ~$9500 for an authentic LE with B&P (+/- 50% every 2 years based on collector mood swings), where every ding and scratch takes away value

I'll take the wearable version all day every day as I don't buy watches to "invest".

11. guwipa Oct 17, 2019

For me its a legit way to create what Omega wasn't able or willing to do and I'm pretty happy to have done this modding. Took me over 2y collecting parts from nearly all over the world (case/caseback from Watcho Newzeeland, crystal, pusher, crown ans seals from James Chatten in UK, dials and datewheel from ebay France and the movement/hands from a slaughter-166072 with damaged case).

And this came out and I really love my unique 166.071 :)
    WZS und DS.JPG Ziffernblatt gold.JPG Teilekiste.JPG IMG_2832.JPG IMG_2829.JPG

zedlebowski and jaguar11 like this.
  12. machamp6650 Oct 21, 2019

Spot on there. I've loved the speedmaster panda look for years but missed the boat on an affordable Mitsukoshi or Apollo 11 35th (and not a huge fan of the Tokyo 2020). It's not feasible for me to buy one of the LEs unless I treated it as an investment grade 'special occasions' watch, which is not really what I want from my speedy. A couple of NOS Omega parts and a good watchmaker later, and I get to wear this beauty everyday...

20190817_221614.jpg

Evitzee, kipao, CJpickup57 and 2 others like this.
  13. machamp6650 Oct 21, 2019

This is a good call and a critical factor IMO. I don't consider my speedy mod to be equivalent to the original Apollo 11 LE, and it has build components that make it clear this is the case. I have no intention of selling, but if I did it would be very clearly advertised as a mod.

14. GMT Aviator Mar 4, 2023

Hi

I know I’m reviving an old thread here but this is interesting as I have numerous Speedies, a couple of which are modded, a couple of which are not.

One mod is a Saphire Sandwich with Mitsokoshi Dial and hands. Love that watch.

The other is an Apollo XI 35th anniversary brand new, unworn, and made completely from genuine Omega service parts.

It has a genuine service case, without serial number of course, a genuine brand new Omega Service replacement movement correct for the watch, a genuine dial, hands, bracelet and it even has the genuine factory service replacement caseback for this watch without the Ltd edition serial number engraved. Mine is the only example of a caseback like this I’ve ever seen but it is factory minty new.

It is clearly not a franken watch as it is made entirely from brand new genuine Omega factory service parts which I’m sure you appreciate don’t come cheap, especially for a Ltd Edition such as this.

I would never even attempt to pass the watch off as one of the original ones sold with box and papers, yet it is identical in every way, constructed from the same original Omega parts by an authorised, (now retired), skilled Omega watchmaker / technician.

Paying £10-£15k for one with the serial numbers and box and papers just wasn’t feasible when the option to have what I’ve got made for a lot less was an option, yet normally this is something I would not have entertained. Yet I am extremely happy with the watch due to its originality and entire construction from new factory service replacement parts.

It’s every bit a genuine Omega. I do wonder however whether Omega would ever entertain servicing it? There’s no way they could say it wasn’t ‘original’ other than the fact it’s not serialised like the original Ltd run was.