Forums Latest Members

Do You Know Why Omega is called Omega?

1. w@tcher Sep 7, 2020

It has to be pronounced as: Ωμέγα

::book::

Motik and TimeODanaos like this.
  2. Marsimaxam Sep 7, 2020

Brings back fond memories of college organic chemistry.

3. Professor Sep 7, 2020

Remember all British villains drive Jah-gi-yu-wahs

TimeODanaos likes this.
  4. MRC Sep 7, 2020

Well that's closer than Alice Cooper manages in his radio show. Better to hear three syllables though.

5. BrianPankow Sep 7, 2020

Fun and informative exchange. In the end, it boils down to: ‘You say Oh-me-ga and I say Oh-may-ga. Oh-me-ga, Oh-may-ga. Let’s call the whole thing off.’

pdxleaf and TimeODanaos like this.
  6. rob#1 Sep 7, 2020

It’s just like the pronunciation of scone, which is dependent on where you’re from. It’s either sk-own, sk-onn or sk-oon - as long as it has jam and cream I don’t really care ;)

7. Marsimaxam Sep 7, 2020

I might have to re-title this thread...Do you know how to pronounce Omega correctly?

From what I can see from the replies, so far, no one knew how the Omega Watch Company got it's name.

TimeODanaos and pdxleaf like this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2020

You are the first person I’ve ever heard use “fond” and “organic chemistry” in a sentence without the word “not” included....

;)

TimeODanaos and Motik like this.
  9. TimeODanaos Sep 7, 2020

In peace - I suspect quite a few folks already did know how "Omega" got its name... what with this being the Omega Forum an' all. But your formal links are really helpful, thanks. The pronunciation debate though, now that's just us letting off steam after class! :D

Edited Sep 7, 2020
    Marsimaxam likes this.
  10. SkunkPrince Sep 7, 2020

I knew, I just didn't feel like posting.

Marsimaxam likes this.
  11. Vitezi Sep 7, 2020

:) All New Englander's I've known have added an R to the end, as in "Oh-MAY-ger"

Marsimaxam likes this.
  12. Marsimaxam Sep 7, 2020

Tongue in cheek. It was miserable, I remember the final exam, everything the Professor told us that was going to be on the final... wasn't. I walked back up to my dorm feeling miserable, as I truly and utterly completely bombed the final. Yep, I scored a 47 out of 100 on the final, and fortunately the class was graded on a curve... A-. After 40 years I still remember the Professor's name, and not like an old girl friend.

13. pdxleaf ... Sep 7, 2020

Like the old joke, what do you call the person with the lowest grade in med school? Doctor.

Marsimaxam likes this.
  14. Marsimaxam Sep 7, 2020

Believe it or not, and how I remember after all these years, it must be the trauma. 47 was the third highest score in the class.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2020

I never had the pleasure, as engineers don’t need it, but my biology major wife did. She was also miserable, and since it was a “weeding out” course for med students, no grading on a curve.

Her first day the prof asked everyone who was taking it for the second time to raise their hands, and 1/2 the class did. Then he asked for those taking it the third time, and about 1/4 did, then fourth, and fifth time. The smallest group were the people taking it for the first time.

She did some major sweating over that course (we were dating at the time), and passed the first time through, which was a major thing for her. I didn’t see her too much that semester...particularly close to the exam.

pdxleaf likes this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 7, 2020

Left school at 15 and got a trade so, after a 4 year apprenticeship.
    Glad my final exam was cutting up a Cow :D

BlackTalon, pdxleaf and michael22 like this.
  17. pdxleaf ... Sep 7, 2020

Organic chemistry probably produces more lawyers than it does doctors...

18. Braindrain Sep 7, 2020

Am I in the minority? I loved both organic and inorganic chem. Only went up to 2nd year though, as my program didn't require more chem beyond that. Thought I was done. Silly me. The pgm then needed 3rd and 4th year biochem, pharmacology, and physiology. ;)