Forums Latest Members
  1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 28, 2013

I've found myself purchasing more and more "project watches" now in various stages of completion. I think when one can't find nice watches to purchase, they eyes wander and for me it's meant more and more projects and my parts bin is as full as it has ever been. Anyone out there with the same "problem"?

watchyouwant likes this.
  2. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 28, 2013

I exactly see your point :cool:
    The more vintage watches one has in the box the more projects, because when is a project finish? When the watch is correct? When yo have the right bracelet with it? Or the box as well? Or a better condition dial? :D

The most funny thing is, that a finished project that does not need care any more looses interest. When I look at the Bienne restored watches they are so perfect that it is merely boring....

watchyouwant and rick42650 like this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 28, 2013

I have a growing number of projects too. Some annoying ones that I just can't get working properly (invariably the cheaper movements) and some just waiting for the weather to turn bad or the days to grow shorter.

4. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Aug 28, 2013

I have exactly the same situation and I also think that it is the sign interesting watches are more difficult to find. Sometimes a project can sometimes turn into a nice watch, not a boring one. Well at least not more boring than what the non project long searched one becomes when I have found it....

5. ulackfocus Aug 28, 2013

Yep, that's me. 2 Walthams, 2 Bennies (what is the plural for Benrus?), an Eterna in need of a correct logo crown and logo crystal (not easy), and an Omega.

Been known to spend more making a watch correct than buying a correct one in the first place.

Dablitzer likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 28, 2013

You get more control over the outcome with a project watch, my 18K Cal 320 was bought no crown, cracked crystal, rusted out pushers for ~$2200, right now its one of my favourite watches.

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 28, 2013

I've got two Omegas in the shop, likely finished in 2 weeks or so (my watch guy is good and cheap but slow). I can handle the stem/crown/crystal/case gasket most of the time (if the watch is running!)
    A project watch doesn't scare me if the price is right. I have confidence in my watch guy, and repairs are usually cheap presuming they can be done. Problem is getting bored with a repaired watch. They need to be original to sell again for anything resembling a fair price.

watchyouwant likes this.
  8. Dablitzer Aug 28, 2013

Agree with Ash and Dennis, it can become more expensive finding parts as a 'project' in order to make it a nicer end result. But the journey is well worth it. Recently though, i've been getting very impatient and have made some silly purchases "in the hope" they will become nice watches in the end. I guess it's all part of the journey..Some parts I will probably never find...:unsure:

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 28, 2013

That's a mark of a believer of the True Faith/nutjob. Testify, brother!

Hell Ash, it's one of MY favorite watches.

Lots of projects. I have so many bits and pieces of Jardurs that I've lost track of how many complete watches I'm expecting to get out of it, one nearly complete A 386 (although it's in pieces), various Primero dials, some empty cases, a clapped out movement or two...a big ole' tackle box of project watches.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 28, 2013

I am not yet at this stage. My trusted watchmaker lives 200 km away, and I only visited him like once every month or two.
    Sourcing parts in Indonesia is another problem. But who knows in the future?

11. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 28, 2013

Apropos of, I almost always wind up buying some random watch I never wanted in the first place after getting jerked around by a deal gone sour.

For example: I purchased a NOS 1954 all gold bumper auto Movado from some Doctor and the watch supposedly got stolen or lost on its way to me. As soon as I got the deal money returned to me (thank heaven), I wound up buying a couple of garbage watches for no good reason other than passive-aggressive compulsion. Idiot.

12. ulackfocus Aug 28, 2013

13. sohail Aug 28, 2013

I suggest that a moderator should start a project watches thread where we can discuss and put pics for whatever we have. We can benefit from parts and other stuff We have. For example, in order to complete my 386 I had to buy 3019 movement from local market for just a few parts . Now I have that incomplete movement same goes for cal 11 /12 etc. if I know that some member is working on project x y z , I can keep a look out on my end if I find something from my local market for his interest ....

Tritium likes this.
  14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 29, 2013

If anyone wants a really funky looking Zenith Espada case, I can help.

Funky Espada

I might also have some extra A 3818 bits lying around.

15. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Aug 29, 2013

Only one A384 at the moment. Taking longer than I expected for lack of parts.

I will take them if they make up a running watch. :D

16. sohail Aug 29, 2013

Any one on omega cal 352 project

17. mac_omega Aug 29, 2013

Yep!
    I would need a good balance.

18. prostie1200 Aug 29, 2013

What a wake up call this thread has been for me, I have just done a roll call on the projects WIP pending at this moment in time.

5 x 351's
    1 x 353
    1 x 564
    1 x 354
    6 x 30t2's
    1 x 851
    1 x 23.7
    1 x 1040
    I hit the magic 80 on the 12th of next month so I think I had better get a move on.

Have a fair in number of 26.5 and 353 spares to trade for items I may require shortly.

19. Habitant Aug 29, 2013

You obviously never fell for Hamilton Electrics! Uggghhhhh.

AMBwatches likes this.
  20. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 29, 2013

Story of my life. :eek: