Forums Latest Members
  1. Lou P YaY! Oct 15, 2015

Hi everyone, I searched for similar topics, didn’t find anything…so here goes my first “new thread” post. :)

I noticed a while back that my 376.0822 has a small letter “D” on the day wheel in between two days.

HG Day Wheel with a D e IMG_7533 640.jpg

Then I noticed that my Lemania 5100 Fortis has a small “A” on its day wheel as well.

Fortis A day wheel 640 IMG_7537.jpg

Then, chasing a hunch that these letters may represent the day wheel’s language, I searched the Internet and found an E on this Omega cal 577’s wheel.

mvmt cal 577 spanish 640.jpg

And an F on this one for a cal 1310.

french day wheel cal 1310.jpg

So I believe my theory holds water that these letters represent the day wheel’s language, with the following decoder key…as best I can come up with so far:

A= English (Anglais in French)
    E = Spanish (Espagnol in French)
    F = French (Français)
    D = German (Allemand in French, but A was taken for Anglais, so D for Deutch)

My guess is these letters give watchmakers a quick way to identify the wheel’s language without having to read several days off of it, which can be quite similar between certain languages. Would love to hear from watchmakers who may have the complete language key and/or know more about how broadly such markings were used by Omega/Lemania and possibly other manufacturers. But if folks here are curious and you have a watch(es) with a day wheel, it might be fun to see if you have such a letter and share it with us. Please be sure to flip through two full weeks of days so you don't miss it, because that’s how many days are on a complete wheel of this type.

I’d love to learn for sure which letters were used for other languages such as: Italian, Portuguese, Finnish, Dutch, Sweedish, and possibly others.

Thank you all. This is a fun forum, YaY!

2. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Oct 15, 2015

Very interesting. And your theory makes sense to me

Lou P likes this.
  3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 15, 2015

I suspect you have solved your own mystery.
    And to think...
    They would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
    [​IMG]

4. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2015

Well, I know what the A, D, and F stand for here in NJ but am at a loss for the E. :D

Mad Dog, M.D. and Lou P like this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 15, 2015

I think those letters are standard, and not just with Swiss brands. I have a Seiko Quartz with "EF", where the days are in both English and French.

Bilingual date wheels are a Seiko specialty.
    gatorcpa

Lou P likes this.
  6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 15, 2015

E-hole? E-head? Nope, I'm at a loss, too.
    Imagine my embarrassment if I AM an E-hole/head and didn't even know it!

Mad Dog and ulackfocus like this.
  7. abrod520 Oct 15, 2015

E-hole = those teenagers (and, sadly, older people nowadays too) who slowly walk down the sidewalk, blocking your way, with their face in their phone :mad:

8. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2015

Wow, do we have yet another coined term here? That's fantastic! I can see myself yelling that at a pedestrian who drifts into an intersection without bothering to look up to check for oncoming cars...... *BEEEEEEEP* "Hey, E-hole - eyes on where you're going, not on your phone!"

Reminds me of the story about the guy who missed a whale breaching RIGHT NEXT TO HIM because he had his face buried in his phone.

phone-whale_3188738b.jpg

Edited Oct 15, 2015
    dougiedude, Mad Dog and Time Exposure like this.
  9. M.D. Oct 15, 2015

I had someone driving behind me this morning on my way to work that was doing something on her phone while driving. Every time we'd stop she'd look down and then when traffic started moving she wasn't paying attention and continued to sit there making everyone else behind her wait. I kept expecting her to rear-end me she was so distracted. Total E-hole!

dougiedude, ulackfocus and Mad Dog like this.
  10. M.D. Oct 15, 2015

I eventually changed lanes and distanced myself from her after about half a mile. I had my daughter in the car and felt it was too great a risk to stay in front of her.

That being said, I'm eager to hear others more experienced weigh in on the OPs thoughts.

Mad Dog likes this.
  11. Rockmastermike Oct 15, 2015

The coolest thing I've learned today
    Thanks

tyrantlizardrex and Lou P like this.
  12. abrod520 Oct 15, 2015

I can see myself giving them a swift kick in the ass and shouting "EYES UP GET YOUR FACE OUT YOUR PHONE" and sometimes it takes all the self-control I possess to not do that. Especially when they stand right in front of the subway steps / a narrow spot in the sidewalk.

On the flip side, anytime I see someone look down at their phone and then pull off to the side of the sidewalk (happens very rarely), I want to give them a hug!

Mad Dog likes this.
  13. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Oct 15, 2015

I admit I have a drunk the Apple Kool-Aid. With all due respect to those who do not use Apple products, I wonder if "iHole" would be catchier? Although e-hole covers more electronic devices...

Mad Dog likes this.
  14. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Oct 15, 2015

I just found a hidden "ES" on an automatic Seiko with cal 4R36 with English and Spanish days.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    Mad Dog and Lou P like this.
  15. Pvt-Public Oct 16, 2015

3 Seikos, 3 different day wheels.
    EG English/German on a cal. 6923 purchased in USA. (not quite sure how I feel about my watch telling me to DIE )
    6923 eg1.PNG 6923 eg2.PNG
    ES English/Spanish on a cal. 5M63 purchased in USA
    6m6.PNG
    EQ English/? on a cal. 8123 purchased in the Bahamas.
    8123 eq1.PNG 8123 eq2.PNG

Nothing on an of my Seiko 6309s, 7009s or 7S26, although they all have bi-lingual day wheels.
    Oh yes and nothing on my cal. 563 Seamaster, but then again no day wheel...... go figure. :D

Lou P likes this.
  16. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2015

Die? That's a little harsh of a comment over a dual language date wheel, don't cha think? :eek::p I like the upside down Gumby on the wheel of the last watch. ;)

STANDY likes this.
  17. Pvt-Public Oct 16, 2015

Could it mean that every seven days may be the day "my time is up"
    ?
    I know it is some kind of Arabic but other than that no clue. I have a hard enough speaking plain old English.

ulackfocus likes this.
  18. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 16, 2015

If I am correct it stands for Tuesday (a thalaatha ) in Arabic.

19. gop76 Apr 19, 2016

P letter for portuguese:

image.jpg

Lou P likes this.
  20. glownyc Apr 19, 2016

Those letter are part of a secret illuminati puzzle. Put a call in to Tom Hanks.

ulackfocus likes this.