Forums Latest Members

Do you have a BWF (Bare Wristed Friend) ?

1. watchthirst Jul 26, 2016

Does anyone have a bare wristed friend? Were you able to convert them? Do they now wear a watch with pride? If so, how? Share your stories :)

Years ago my close friend had purchased a Bell & Ross BR123 from me. A few short months later on a night out in Miami, he had at least 5 too many to drink, woke up in a random hotel room bare wristed with no watch in sight. Was it stolen? Was it lost? He still doesn't know till this very day.

Since then for the last couple of years, our buddies and I have referred to him as "Bare Wristed F**k". He finally had enough and just purchased his first vintage timepiece, a Tudor Submariner 79090. He loves it, and we are happy to have him back on board.

Here's a photo of the Tudor. Sorry about the toilet in the background, I blame him.

IMG_1470.jpg
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 26, 2016

Yup he now wears an SKX007. Baby steps.

watchthirst likes this.
  3. Paedipod Jul 26, 2016

used to......then I married her and she "converted" IMG_2351.jpg

Schmedsc, ahartfie and watchthirst like this.
  4. ulackfocus Jul 26, 2016

Got a coworker to buy a nice TAG. He's a single guy in his mid 30's. Told him a woman wants to see a nice watch on a man. ;)

Wassup wit dat bracelet? Damn bro, it be a few mm too small. :confused: :eek:

watchthirst and OMGRLX like this.
  5. Paedipod Jul 26, 2016

::facepalm2::yup.....looks a little better in the metal, but now lives in a box and the watch is back on a pink stitched croc.

6. watchthirst Jul 26, 2016

That's awesome man, I share a similar story.

Paedipod likes this.
  7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 26, 2016

Wives....can't be trusted..... watch thieves all of 'em..........

and mine likes railway watches..... what the hell is that!

khmt2 and watchthirst like this.
  8. Paedipod Jul 26, 2016

this was mine until I was taking some pics for a FSOT post....I still get occasional visitation rights IMG_2406.jpg

khmt2, ahartfie and Fritz like this.
  9. ulackfocus Jul 26, 2016

Yeah, my wife nicks my 1946 JLC red gold manual wind now & again.....

Fritz and watchthirst like this.
  10. watchthirst Jul 26, 2016

I literally laughed out loud.

tapaptpat likes this.
  11. watchthirst Jul 26, 2016

This was mine, until she said " I want it !"

IMG_1454.jpg
    khmt2, adam78, ahartfie and 1 other person like this.
  12. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 26, 2016

Yup!, I rest my case your Honour!

and in the case of that Dynamic.... I can't say I blame her, truly she was driven to a life of crime!

In her defence, I would add that she is worth the price of having a thief in the house....... I've even been known to encourage her evil ways with the occasional Longines or Bulova.......

Paedipod and watchthirst like this.
  13. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jul 26, 2016

The bracelet too? :cautious: ::stirthepot::

Paedipod likes this.
  14. soybeanwatch Jul 27, 2016

As a WIS addict... I've tried to convert many. I mean misery does enjoy company.. but my dear friend whom I'll call "Stew" has no interest in wearing a watch on his wrist. Even after he's commented and admired many a watches on my wrist. His not so humble opinion is that Rolex looks out dated... Omega looks more modern... and the Aqua Terra Golf model had his brief attention because he plays the sport smh. Oh well...can't win them all.

watchthirst likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 27, 2016

Have heaps of armless watches left at home daily,
    so not bothered by watchless arms at all. :whistling:

al128 likes this.
  16. RegF Jul 27, 2016

One of my best friends share an interest in Motorcycles and has been "collecting" them.

We'd joke around about how he can't ride all 9 at once and that usually 8 of them are in pieces for some reason or another and he'd reply with my lack of 60 arms to require that many watches.

As a man who appreciated things mechanical, he was always intruiged by what I'd acquired and why it was significant to me.

He swore off wearing watches many, many years ago when he lost a "really good" Seiko while diving - cost him nearly $100!!!!

As a present when they were released a couple of years ago, I bought him a Swatch Scuba Libre that came with a factory NATO-like strap and explained the whole double -loop business versus failed spring bar thing.

He wore it everywhere.

He then dug out his old childhood Oris that he'd been given by his folks when he finished High School and asked about it.

I was selling my Oris Aquis Depth gauge at the time and he was hooked.

He bought mine and then took his old one into my watch guy and had it serviced and fitted a new strap to it.

He now cuts out watch ads from magazines and asks me about them when we get together.

Hasn't joined any forums yet, but small steps over time...

Edited Jul 27, 2016
    Fritz, ahartfie, Taddyangle and 2 others like this.
  17. Saber333 Jul 27, 2016

My best friend actually. Was able to get him started with a basic Maratac Pilot with a custom a strap.
    Had him close to picking up a Seamaster, even went to the OB and tried on a few different models, but then the apple watch came out and he's lost all interest...says he can't live without it. Bleh...

18. watchthirst Jul 27, 2016

That's an awesome story man. It's a ripple effect. You may have created a future watch enthusiast monster. I love hearing stuff like this.

19. watchthirst Jul 27, 2016

I still don't understand the concept of the Apple watch. What does it do that an iPhone doesn't do?

20. RegF Jul 27, 2016

Its pretty technical, so stay with and see if you follow this...

Its from Apple.

And it straps around your wrist.

Yup, that's all I got.