Forums Latest Members

Do you baby it or beat it?

1. vanvan Apr 20, 2021

Hi all, I am in the look out for a seamaster 300 1957 trilogy (if you are selling yours please let me know!) and while reading around in various watch forums on expensive or LE pieces I can see a number of owners of LE and other pricey models they keep them in tip top condition. Some seem not to even wear them by keeping all the stickers on. Personal choice of course.

This made me think of the following question:

Do you baby your best watches or do you wear them as often as possible and not mind if they get the odd ding and scratches?

Personally I wear them .... with caution :eek:

Cheers!

2. calcheng Apr 20, 2021

Hey

Personally, I wear them with caution! I don't believe intentionally scratching/dinging it, just to create that worn-in look.

I like the idea of being able to fetch a decent price for my watches when I am no longer in love with them, so I definitely wear them with caution to keep them in a reasonable condition.

Edited Apr 20, 2021
  3. abgul Apr 20, 2021

I wear different/no watches depending on the occasion. e.g. if i'm going out with the kids - a beater or no watch.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 20, 2021

I buy them and put them on my wrist like they are meant to be. Tool watches get treated like tool watches and dress watches get treated like dress watches.

Dive watches get wet because I dive with them because they are well .... dive watches.

5. Keith88lx Apr 20, 2021

I tend to baby my Omegas but I always seem to hit door knobs and chairs while wearing them.

6. vanvan Apr 20, 2021

Well said Standy: "tool watches and dress watches get treated like dress watches". Can't agree more. Still it amazes me when some watch owners keep their toys in "new" condition with all the stickers intact and never worn. I guess they either have too many watch or aim to flip them as NOS?

ChiefMark likes this.
  7. Donn Chambers Apr 20, 2021

I don’t buy watches to sell them at a profit in the future - I buy them to wear and enjoy. With that said, I don’t wear an expensive watch if there is a strong likelihood of it getting banged up.

going to the beach or riding my bicycle - yes.
    Working under the car or clearing brush - no.

8. amcclell Apr 20, 2021

I wear them but I exercise caution. I take them off when working on the car, digging in the garden, etc.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 20, 2021

Never worked out the keep them nice for the next owner thing.

(This is for wear watches as I have many vintage dress watches that are in just as good a condition as I bought them as they have only had a night or two out to dinner and a movie at most...Shit I probably have 10 or more that are still waiting for a night out)

10. ChiefMark Apr 20, 2021

Wear them. You have a short time here; if you buy a watch because you love the design, the story, the history of the brand, or how the light catches the dial, wear it! Enjoy it. Check the time and smile.

YY77 likes this.
  11. vanvan Apr 20, 2021

Thinking about it now i actually have an Oris which i haven't wore since I bought it 2 years ago :whipped: . Not good!! It may to do with the size of your collection too I guess how much use some watches see, mine is not too big by any means (11 pieces) but I do like to wear a watch for a month or more before I rotate to another.

12. Marsimaxam Apr 20, 2021

I treat my watches like I treat my wife, children, home and cars... gently. But, I smash the hell out of a handball.

13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 20, 2021

I wear them. However I rotate them. So they get less wear than a single daily grinder...

14. 140dave Apr 20, 2021

I wear one as a primary and dont mind thrashing it a bit down on the farm, and wear the others at home or in the evenings. Then, when it is time for a service, I let Omega bring it back to form and pick a new one for daily wear......and repeat. (Yes, the vintage Speedy's never make it to the daily wear category, thats for the modern and neo-modern pieces but ALL get worn)

(Edit: picture needed, current daily wearer)
    225A3F9A-D8B0-4E15-857F-E1F62B71E06C.jpeg

ChiefMark and Alfy Forluck like this.
  15. hronists Apr 20, 2021

I wear them everywhere while doing everything. I guess that's because of watch for me always was a tool that tells time, not piece of jewellery or luxury object to impress people.

16. JPE.88305 Apr 20, 2021

I wear my 57 year round (on rotation), on the bracelet, NATO and leather. Too enjoyable to let sit in a box.

626EEE12-A09A-4396-A0F1-227A813EDB82.jpeg 96799691-DA6E-4BF9-A89D-E147954D012D.jpeg A31FE9A2-5D47-4539-B44E-F6993AD1DA62.jpeg

ChiefMark and Alfy Forluck like this.
  17. Speede Apr 20, 2021

I’m in the same mind as I have a daily that Gets the odd mark here and there and rotate depending on the occasion.

18. Alfy Forluck Apr 20, 2021

Any preference or opinion I might have on the matter is more or less meaningless. My watches just get clobbered no matter how hard I try to go nice. Always scuff up. Trying to be especially kind to a little Glycine at the moment.

19. cakey007 Apr 20, 2021

Funnily I was thinking about this at the weekend, except for a couple watches , most get worn regularly and whilst I am sensible about not trashing them, I do use them for most day to day activity, regardless of cost.
    It did make me thinking about if I were to sell one, how much it impacts the desirability- my sea dweller is a good example in that it had a light polish when I brought it, it has various marks and scuffs but I don’t worry about it and enjoy wearing it. I was happy to buy it not being a perfect example as I intended to wear it. ( the dealer then had it lightly polished so I received it better than when I first viewed it)
    I don’t actively look for a well worn example but it doesn’t put me off.

20. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 20, 2021

Now that I'm down to just two watches; an everyday beater and a dress up day/night watch, I get to enjoy both. Got to have Two ;)