Forums Latest Members

Do We Have Any Seiko Dive Watch Experts Around Here?

1. Lex4TDI4Life Mar 16, 2013

It seems like a pretty confusing area. Do we have any learned experts willing to offer some advice?

TIA,

Lex

2. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Mar 16, 2013

It would be easier with a more direct watch question. The term "how long is a rope" comes to mind (is that saying working in English?). I know a little and that might be expert level to somebody else but without knowing more I could as easily be a novice.
    Regards
    JE

3. ulackfocus Mar 16, 2013

I know the vintage dive watch market for Seiko is flooded with frankens and watches made from NOS parts.

4. Lex4TDI4Life Mar 16, 2013

Fair enough :) I am looking for in inexpensive vintage diver with a little character. I spotted a couple on the 'Bay and figured I would gauge the community before posting links..

This seems to be my initial observation as well. The sellers seem to be very open about this, at least, so it may be par for the course in the Seiko community. Long term collectability is not my primary concern here, but I would prefer to avoid getting piece that turns to dust the moment it hits the light of day.

Onto the links. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111026813714?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281076753078?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SEI...560605385?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item5aef39e4c9Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Men...102607839?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2a2a8e7ddfPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

5. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Mar 17, 2013

Sticking out my neck a little here without commenting on any particular auction above - there are some different perspectives in/on this. In that price segment there are a lot of watches that are really very simple and (sometimes mostly) built up with non-Seiko aftermarket parts. As long as you know and accept this you really cannot go wrong - the money involved makes risk low and you will have a (sort of) vintage watch that you do not have to be afraid to use as a daily beater. The downside is of course that collectors will never appriciate that kind of watch. Make a comparison with other brands and what would happen if they were sold with aftermarket dial, hands, bezel and perhaps even a replacement movement...
    Still - and as I wrote earlier - it can be a very good daily beater.

I would say that the "Seiko community" (if there is a such) is divided in three parts - those who does not mind aftermarket parts at all, build what they want and have fun with it - and those who really do mind and want watches as original as possible - and some who are more in the middle and who thinks it is OK as long as you are open with it.
    I would recommend some reading - here:
    http://archives.makedostudio.com/seiko-divers/
    here:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f281/how-buy-seiko-6309-diver-collectors-buying-guide-140799.html
    and here:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f281/how-buy-seiko-7002-diver-collectors-buying-guide-258086.html

I am more to the "as original" direction but realize the benefits of a healthy aftermarket supply of crystals, gaskets, crowns, etc, parts that makes a watch usable even if it is vintage - long after the maker has stopped supplying them. Dials, hands, bezels, cases - not so keen...

In your shoes I would read the links thoroughly and then decide what to go for. Cheap and aftermarket - but very usable or a little more money and more genuine.
    Sorry for not making it easy for you but there are no short cuts.
    Kind regards
    JE

6. pascs Mar 17, 2013

If you can I'd try to find a Seiko diver which is original as possible or alternatively look at buying a new Seiko diver.

I have a few Seiko divers, including 6309-7040, SKX007 and Orange Monster. I really like the 6309-7040 shape and have modified a couple using good quality dials and hands - there is a huge community modifying Seikos.

Many of the Seikos on ebay usually have aftermarket dials, hands and bezels. Nothing particularly wrong with that but the quality of these parts can be a bit low. Also you will need to have the watch pressure tested, I doubt any watch from ebay will be likely to be suitable for diving without testing first.

Reliability wise the 6309 movement is very good and accuracy can be from a few seconds a day to 20 seconds a day. The same with the newer 7S26 movement

7. Lex4TDI4Life Mar 17, 2013

Thank's for the excellent insight, guys. Looks like I have some reading to do!

8. Lex4TDI4Life Mar 25, 2013

So I picked up what the seller touted as, and appears to be, an all original early 6039-7049. He claimed that the band is original as well, but my preliminary research leaves me with some doubts. I cannot seem to locate the part number on it. Otherwise, I am thrilled. It's in great shape and spinning like a top. On to the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Lex4TDI4Life Mar 26, 2013

Look carefully at my dial. It is an automatic :D

10. pascs Mar 26, 2013

6309-7040 and 6309-7049 are both 6309 automatics - the 7049 was for the US market

I'm certain no 6309 case had a quartz, I think you can do a conversion of adding the 7548 quartz movement into the 6309 case

11. Bwana1 Mar 26, 2013

I humbly withdraw from the conversation, and yield to the experts :) More coffee is needed

12. pascs Mar 26, 2013

Oh no need for that its good to have discussion :thumbsup:

More coffee is always good though, which reminds me I need to go try out my new Nespresso coffee machine :D

13. pascs Mar 26, 2013

IMO the 6309-7040/7049 shape is a great divers shape and a nice retro look.

I really like the 6309 movement, its pretty basic but they are remarkably accurate with simple adjustment and so far mine have been very reliable. I do have a spare 6309 movement which has been badly serviced by the previous owner and its timing is all over the place.

14. ulackfocus Mar 26, 2013

Don't worry about being wrong here. I've made a few miscalculations that were corrected recently - nobody gets too snippy or acts like a douche here.

Come to think of it, I may be the worst mannered person that hasn't been banned. :p

SpikiSpikester and Bwana1 like this.
  15. Lex4TDI4Life Mar 26, 2013

Not so fast. There is a petition circulating as we speak. :p

In all seriousness, though, this is by far the most amicable, polite and well-behaved online forum I have ever joined.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  16. Bwana1 Mar 26, 2013

Appreciate the support, I just left with my tail between my legs...pascs was spot on :)

I misread the model, and gave BS advice...my father always said "A man's gotta know when to fight...and when to run"...good thing I'm fast :)