Forums Latest Members
  1. bucksandreds Dec 12, 2018

Hello all,
    Im a near middle aged lover of history and antiques and the idea came to me that my father has never owned a luxury watch. He was born in the early 1950s so I am interested in a watch from that era. I have been scouring this forum as well as online sellers and I really prefer the look of the 1950s-1960s steel cased Omegas over all other styles/brands. I found a couple of (to my eye) beautiful watches and would greatly appreciate any advice about the authenticity/quality/value of these watches. Online photos don’t show the back of the watch insides, so I would ask for that. Thanks in advance.

17DCE476-B6AB-4AA7-8866-5C5EED6AFBBA.jpeg 36071A5B-B553-4E68-B394-EF066440A4C6.jpeg 9AA71117-AA61-4B30-8821-74359E649646.jpeg 47C7066F-B3F9-4233-8C08-4695BE10ED30.jpeg EC1A35E5-B31F-4F47-B0D7-6B91DA53D2D0.jpeg 9E9ACCB6-D909-43BF-BE70-4EE280C9E910.jpeg
  2. Dan S Dec 12, 2018

Personally I don't like the uneven water-damage to the dial of the second one - very unattractive. The first looks interesting at first glance, with the exception of the small seconds hand. Again, the condition isn't great, but it's still appealing as an entry-level piece. I would want to see more photos before hazarding any guesses about originality or value.

apsm100, Samir and bucksandreds like this.
  3. Waxtactic Dec 12, 2018

The first one may have had some water damage or excessive oiling, hence the spots on the dial. I know the site you’re on, he’ll offer some better pieces over time if you can play the waiting game.

bucksandreds likes this.
  4. bucksandreds Dec 12, 2018

Thank you both, so much. I’ll be holding off on those two. My fathers b Day is April so I have some time before then. Since my interest is in 1950s and 1960s steel Omegas then my next question would be what should be my expected price range for watches in better condition than these 2? Also, where specifically (besides Ebay as I’m probably not savvy enough to avoid a rip-off) should I be looking? I found a website (guy in Ontario) forget the name where he cleans the watch, services them and sells them. They all look fantastic. His 1950s-60s era steel Omegas average high $1000s. Is less than $2000 a decent price for one of these that looks very nice?

Thanks again

5. Waxtactic Dec 12, 2018

So, I am not an Omega expert, but I would venture to say that price is going to vary depending on which models you get. My suggestion, is to just identify a budget you're comfortable with and stick to it (this would include the cost of servicing if it hasn't been serviced). Additional thoughts:
    1) If you remember the name of the dealer in Ontario, do a search for him here, 10 to 1 says something would pop
    2) I'm still relatively new to the site as well, but these people on here have been awesome. If you see a watch on eBay or another site, post the pics here and ask for their thoughts. They'll let you know if it is legit or a frankenwatch. Nobody will steal your item, everyone just wants to help. I hope this posts helps to illustrate that.
    3) This one comes with a caveat, but Check the Private Watch sales here, you may find something that is even negotiable. You have to prove your bonafides since you only have 2 posts (no offense meant). Everyone will be very wary b/c there is a lot of swindling that goes on the internet (surprise) so the onus would be on you to prove you're a person of good repute. If you have any good recs on a site like watchuseek, wristsushi, whatever, I'd have those in order if you're going to pursue something. This part of the site is highly regulated (as it should be). Apologies for the bold text, just want to ensure this is clear.
    4) You may want to check out sites like dcvintagewatches, flybackvintage, hodinkee, and the site that you were on. Stay patient, something good will drop.

Hope this helps.

Samir, bucksandreds and rcs914 like this.
  6. Mossback Dec 12, 2018

I'm not an expert by any means.
    The fellow in Canada is Omega Enthusiast. I respect him, has a good reputation from what I read online. I also enjoy his youtube channel.
    I'm like you Bucksandreds haven't learned enough here yet to buy from eBay.
    I have yet to buy my first Omega. When I buy my first choice would be to buy here on the forum. Generally IMO the price would be fair and the watch honestly represented.
    Second choice would be Omega Enthusiast. He has some amazing watches along with many nice ones also great variety. The little I know it seems his prices are somewhat on the high side.
    Good luck!

apsm100 and bucksandreds like this.
  7. bucksandreds Dec 12, 2018

I posted another post with one of Omega enthusiast watches and I was told that the crown and minute and hour hand were not original to the watch which I hear is a big no no. He has the prettiest/cleanest watches from that era, however. I just love the look of those 1950s and early 1960s watches.

apsm100 likes this.
  8. Shay Dec 12, 2018

Omega enthusiast has some nice watches and he seems a decent guy. The watches are serviced but this comes at a price. Few months back I bought my first vintage on eBay and I was completely new to vintage watches and I reckon I haven’t done too badly. You can research exactly what you want and can ask opinion of the forum expert before pullling the trigger. I think you can find the good value on eBay but you have to factor the costs of servicing. There is a great article by Eric Wind on how to buy on eBay

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/hodinkee-guide-to-buying-watches-on-ebay

Also there is a great thread on the forum on how to fish.

Good luck

9. lillatroll Dec 13, 2018

There is a nice LeCoultre on p2 of the private sales section here. I would go for that one all day long.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  10. reinbald Dec 13, 2018

I'm new here and have a simular question (or should I start a new thread for this question) - my pics are not very good but is this looking genuine? I didn't see another dial like this one (and have my doubts about the hands).
    The caliber is a 265 in very nice (optical) condition. 20181211_215015_resized.jpg 20181211_215029_resized.jpg 20181211_215049_resized.jpg

Edited Dec 13, 2018
  11. KingCrouchy Dec 13, 2018

@reinbald dial isn’t a redial and is common but genuine. You would need to give us pictures of the mouvement for more information about this watch. But looks nice

reinbald likes this.
  12. reinbald Dec 13, 2018

Thanks for the fast reaction @KingCrouchy. As soon as I have the opportunity I'll take some pics of the movement.

Edited Dec 13, 2018
  13. Waxtactic Dec 17, 2018

@bucksandreds - I also should have mentioned some other sites for you to check out that typically have older Omegas:

Analogshift
    TheoandHarris

Good luck.

reinbald likes this.
  14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 17, 2018

You'll be better served starting your own thread, once you have the photos.

reinbald likes this.
  15. Shay Dec 17, 2018

May I also add another site ‘ Visionvintage’ which has omega. Good luck

reinbald and Waxtactic like this.