Forums Latest Members

Do these last three digits of the serial number look odd?

1. PDB Nov 1, 2015

This is a 1950, Ref 2606-4, Cal 265. I noticed that the last three digits of the serial number look a little smaller than the others and not as defined / well formed. Have you seen this on other watches, perhaps because the factory stamped the first part of the serial number and then did the last three digits by hand as they were assembled? Thanks in advance. Serial number 37.5 mm fancy lugs.JPG

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 1, 2015

Looks fine to me. :thumbsup:

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 1, 2015

Uneven lighting. Looks good to me also.
    gatorcpa

4. wsfarrell Nov 1, 2015

Rotate, zoom and enhance, a la CSI. Looks good.
    serial.jpg

5. base615 Nov 1, 2015

Not sure what the issue is

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 2, 2015

The engraver obviously started the pantograph to do numbers just before the lunch whistle.

Got to the 7, heard the whistle, hit the stop switch and took off to the pub across the road for a long lunch.

Came back :confused: started up the machine and finished the 580.

Either that, or the engraving bit chipped a bit off the point just as it started the 5 (my actual deduction).

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 2, 2015

They're fine, but your ass does look fat.

8. PDB Nov 2, 2015

Excellent, thank you for the enhanced image and thanks for confirmation from the rest. I just thought that certainly the last two digits looked as if they had been stamped in a different way to the other digits. It must just be me being paranoid having read various treads on this forum about all the subtle signs there are to spot a redial, wrong dial, wrong crown, wrong hands, earlier movement.....::book:: lots to learn :)

9. PDB Nov 2, 2015

Now I really am paranoid :cautious:, you experienced guys can not only tell a redial at a 100 paces, when the close up looks OK to my untrained eye, you even know that my arse is getting big..................................:( its true I can hardly do my belt up ::shy::

Tony C. and boat2dan like this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 2, 2015

To my eye the last three number do look a bit rougher.
    They aren't stamped but engraved, possibly using a sophisticated pantograph engraver. As I surmised, the tip of the bit may have chipped at the start of the five, thus the slightly rougher looking final numbers.
    And then again, it could simply be a trick of the light, matter in the grooves etc.
    It's not a big issue and nothing to worry about.

11. PDB Nov 2, 2015

Many thanks.

12. redpcar Nov 2, 2015

What about this: They ran a batch of movements and engraved them 12757, then as they run through the line, they finish off the serial numbers. Yours is #580 of 999 of this lot. Different machine. Plausible? I say yes.

13. PDB Nov 3, 2015

To be honest, that is what I thought had happened.