Forums Latest Members

Do real Omega Speedmaster's pusher buttons fall off easily? (edited title)

1. kraigg007 May 21, 2017

Purchased a Omega Speedmaster 3594.50 Broad Arrow from a member. I have owned it for about 4 weeks and have worn it 10 or so times. Noticed that it is +45 seconds per day which I though was a bit much. I took it to an Omega Boutique and they refused to pop the back and basically look at a photo on the website and said that is looks like it. I have never popped the back to see the movement but besides that the watch looks correct.

However, the seller sold me the watch with a blank warranty card. No serial number, no AD info, nothing just a blank Omega card. He claims he purchased it from an authorized dealer and is still looking for the proof of sale. It has the original box, omega instruction booklet, the tag with matching serial number, but no pictogram card either. I was skeptical but seemed to be legit.

My fears were "confirmed" today. Went to Disney with my Planet Ocean, came back and notice the watch had stopped, must have gone beyond 36 hours without being wound...well when I finish winding I heard something hit the ground. I looked at the speedy to see if the crown was there and it was. On further inspection I see the reset button to the stop watch popped off. Is this common for a rarely worn watch. I am so glad it occurred at home and reasonably quick from the original purchase.

Is the pusher head on the Omega Speedmaster that delicate or do I have a fake? Here are a couple photos.

Please note I didn't get this one on the cheap. Paid what they are going for now and maybe a bit more due to the condition. He never wore the band.

20170521_201550.jpg 20170521_201608.jpg 20170521_201618.jpg
  2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 21, 2017

Have you spoken to the person who sold it to you? I think this is the best place to start.

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 21, 2017

+1

OMGRLX, blubarb and R3D9 like this.
  4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 21, 2017

When you wind the watch, do you release the crown after each revolution or do you roll the crown backwards?

5. kraigg007 May 21, 2017

I sent him a message. Waiting for his response. I have asked him a couple questions since the deal was made and I still don't have the Authorized Dealers Name, why the warranty card wasn't filled out (beyond that is the way I got it), and the bill of sale he stated he is still looking for and will send it to me once he finds it. Target date is sometime in June which happens to be just beyond the reach of filling a claim.

6. kraigg007 May 21, 2017

I release the crown, I never roll backwards because of how tight the spacing is the the crown guard and pushers.

7. Jking something intelligent and witty... May 21, 2017

First good for you on not using the other members name at this point. Second I would urge you to delete this thread and take it to the mods for help. There are members here who could be contacted via PM if any verification on your watch becomes necessary and the mods can help you two work it out NOT in public.

8. kraigg007 May 21, 2017

I will take it down just wanted to know if it was common for the pusher head to come off. If this is a common occurrence, I will pursue a different avenue. If it isn't, which I assume Omega knows how to make speedmasters correctly after 60 years, then I will be a little more aggressive in my actions.

I would never place a members name next to an accusation that is unfounded at this point. I didn't even name the Omega Boutique I took it too.

NT931, Edantony and Jking like this.
  9. Jking something intelligent and witty... May 21, 2017

That's a fair question...one I don't have enough expertise to attempt an answer. But I'll say if it turns out you were knowingly sold a bad watch I'm sure we would all appreciate knowing whom to avoid.

10. blubarb May 21, 2017

Okay, well the pusher came away from it's housing, shite happens occasionally even to Speedmasters. How have you jumped from that to a fake? There are many genuine Omega Speedmasters (and other brands) sold with blank cards - I've had one or two over the years. Take the watch to a reputable watchmaker (forget about the Omega boutiques) and ask them to take off the back, get a photo and post it here and while you're at it ask them to de-magnatise the watch (at 45secs it could just be that) and put the pusher back. When the back is off check that the serial on the escape wheel bridge matches the card. Anyway, doesn't look like a fake to me, just a bit of bad luck that you and the seller can resolve quickly. Post the pic of the movement here. Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't jump to any stressful conclusions right now.

cpl, epcwks, Tritium and 13 others like this.
  11. kraigg007 May 21, 2017

Just so you understand there is no serial number on the warranty card, no dealer name, or date. The entire card is blank.

12. chadpowe11 May 21, 2017

I bought a speedie a few years ago within two weeks the crown feel off and after few days the crown was installed the chronograph stopped working. After talking to him I got nowhere. Did the same type of post and his reference told me to contact a mod here. Needless to say it got nowhere and if my memory serves me correct he gave me $50 for the issue. Sent the full conversation to the reference and he said he would never recommend again. So I don't believe it should be removed until he gets some feedback from the original seller and hopefully this is resolved. BUT I would have waiting to see if contact would have got anywhere before I would personally make this post.

Agree with you about shit happens and this is a small issue hopefully but put yourself in his shoes. Maybe he does not have a vast knowledge on timepieces so when he brought it to a omega boutique got turned away and after a few days the pusher fell off then maybe you would feel like him saying OMG I bought a fake and spent all this money etc.

Cheers
    Chad

delmarco likes this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 21, 2017

So the watch was grey market and I assume you had pictures of that before sale. That's not on the seller.

Either way it makes zero difference as the watch is out of warranty, which is the only difference between a grey market and new watch.

Edited May 21, 2017
  14. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 21, 2017

Must admit, I can relate to the catastrophe thinking, especially if you have not bought frequently through forums. Though as someone who has bought and sold here, I would be making making plenty of reassurances if this had happened to me.
    My gut feeling says this is unlikely to be fake. Blank cards are fairly common and not a sign of counterfeit.

blubarb, OMGRLX and Foo2rama like this.
  15. Hijak May 21, 2017

To the OP, I have the same model of Speedmaster, the 57 reissue. Yours looks OK from your pictures. These were made in the late 90s, mine is from 99 and I've had it serviced since I purchased it (about four years ago). Here is a picture of mine for reference...
    image.jpeg
    Your watch is most likely due for a servicing if not done by the previous owner. Pushers are service intems and need to be replaced every so often.

Edited May 21, 2017
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 21, 2017

Side note... if the watch is due for service and sold with no service history becoming 45 seconds off and having a loose pusher are signs of needing service.

Pushers can knocked off if hit the right way. Hence the pusher guards on Speedy Pros.

tyrantlizardrex and OMGRLX like this.
  17. kraigg007 May 21, 2017

No the seller said he got it from an authorized dealer within the US. He just can't remember the name of the seller. In the North East.

delmarco likes this.
  18. blubarb May 21, 2017

[QUOTE="

Agree with you about shit happens and this is a small issue hopefully but put yourself in his shoes. Maybe he does not have a vast knowledge on timepieces so when he brought it to a omega boutique got turned away and after a few days the pusher fell off then maybe you would feel like him saying OMG I bought a fake and spent all this money etc.

Cheers
    Chad[/QUOTE]

Yep, It's because I have, and I hazard to guess most of us have at sometime, been in his shoes that I suggest that he need not panic and jump to the (arguably understandable) conclusion that the watch is fake. I think @Hijak has hit the nail on the head.

19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 21, 2017

Doesn't matter in a watch out of warranty. During that period it was not unheard of for an AD to do that so people could "extend" the warranty.

blubarb likes this.
  20. blubarb May 21, 2017

Yep. Understood. Not uncommon. More unusual is your claim that the card isn't printed with the movement # as that is usually put on at least one or two of the cards by Omega and not the dealer - have you only got one card, the Warranty card? That can often be blank as stated earlier. Do you have the pictogram card? - post a pic of the card/s.

My cal.1120 warranty card is blank as you can see.

BTW, the watch is a 2531.80 from 2005 but note the warranty card is not filled out and says 2011 which I think is some international code i think.

IMG_6493.JPG

Edited May 22, 2017
    Foo2rama likes this.