Forums Latest Members

Do Omega Bracelets (still) Need to Improve

1. snunez Jul 15, 2019

The last time this topic was raised was in 2015, and I'm wondering what the consensus is these days. Having recently seen some of the new Rolex bracelets, I have to say they 'feel' better. Smoother, better put together, what have you. I don't have any experience in wearing one, yet, so long term it may be different. I do have a lot of experience with Grand Seiko bracelets, and they definitely give the impression of better quality, and usually have a bunch of half links to make adjustment easy (via screws too).

Is this new crop of Omega bracelets better, or are they still playing catch-up?

2. Stufflers Mom Jul 15, 2019

Not quite sure that GS bracelets are a step up, my Ti GS Diver was ok, but the clasp was a little on the cheap side. That said Omega has made progress, but still lag behind Rolex, Breitling, IWC and Cartier when it comes to bracelets, imo at least.

wsfarrell likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 15, 2019

Like most brands the older bracelets are much better than many made today. Thinner, lighter more comfortable.

Give me a vintage Gay Frères any day.

4. snunez Jul 15, 2019

Gay Frères. Huh. Learn something every day. Now those do look like nice bracelets.

5. snunez Jul 15, 2019

According to an article on Hodinkee, Rolex bought Gay Frères in 1998. That could have a lot to do with why their current bracelets seem to be one of the better ones.

6. Akendo Jul 15, 2019

I don't mind the bracelets tbh, but if there's two things I would change it would be: tapering to narrow the clasp + some kind of easy link system to have the half link adjustment. I love my PO, but I find it wears too heavy on the bracelet and tend to keep on a rubber. My Speedy I love on the bracelet, but it's a pain to adjust between the two points when my wrist swells.

7. Meme-Dweller Jul 15, 2019

Current bracelets are too thick and heavy. I prefer the last generation of Omega bracelets using the pin and collar system.

STANDY likes this.
  8. Stufflers Mom Jul 15, 2019

You mean like they used to do on the Speedy Reduced with a near perfect bracelet.

BNkAB7SCAAAWO6f.jpg

Alphasports and AveConscientia like this.
  9. snunez Jul 15, 2019

So the current generation is screws? Just trying to figure out how to identify 'last generation when I see it.

10. krh7 Jul 15, 2019

interesting. seems odd for rolex to buy a maker known for great ladder and link bracelets.

11. Lurk41 Jul 15, 2019

I must admit that I love the bracelet of my reduced. But I do not have any other to compare either. At least not from an high-end brand.
    Damned, only 2 bucks more and I would have win that armadillo...

12. MRC Jul 15, 2019

I have read that they had been making bracelets for Rolexes sold in the European market for many years. So I regard my 1967 Oyster as very likely from Gay Frères. The Omega "Reduced" is as comfortable, but the nicest for wearability I have is a no-name beaten-up BoR probably from the 1960s.

P1010179m.JPG

Alphasports and red crowned like this.
  13. FlyingSnoopy Jul 15, 2019

I actually prefer the vintage ones... especially the Rolex from the 60s...
    New ones hav3 a very thick clasp, both Rolex and Omega
    Cheers

14. JeremyS Jul 15, 2019

I wouldn’t say Grand Seiko bracelets are better. They taper, but the pins are super thin and there is too much lateral flex built into the bracelet.

Omega’s bracelets are decent. The end-link fit on my Speedy Pro and Railmaster is a little sloppy. The edges on most of Omega’s new bracelets are also a little sharp (okay, Grand Seiko does a better job there). I wouldn’t cry if Omega built micro adjustment in all of their clasps as opposed to just the divers’ watches. Half-links on all bracelets would also be welcome (none on my Speedy Pro, for example).

Having said those things, there’s nothing “wrong” with Omega’s bracelets. I’ve never had one fail.

15. Alex_TA Jul 15, 2019

It's just the other people voices in your head. Rolex, GS.. Omega bracelets are excellent.

Alphasports and jberb55 like this.
  16. valkyrie_rider Jul 15, 2019

Last year I was visiting Vancouver (CA) and stopped by an Omega AD to check the soon-to-be-released (back then) Seamaster 300 Professional with the wave dial.

While I loved the dial and details of the watch, I couldn't help but notice that the bracelet felt a bit lacking (and less comfortable) when compared to the Staib mesh on my LLD.

So yeah, I guess Omega bracelets could be better (they are not bad, just not great).
    omega_lld.jpg

keisuke_z likes this.
  17. Wetworks Jul 15, 2019

I'll wager you're in the minority there. I went to add a half link to my SMP Non-AC the other day and ultimately passed because I didn't want to be bothered. Easier to just swap onto a strap and call it a day. Or, throw on one of my modern pieces with adjustable clasp and screws for links.

I like the improvements Omega has made over the years. I will say that I was initially put off on the sharpness of the edges on my new SMP Diver, but over the past few months that seems to have subsided somewhat.

18. snunez Jul 15, 2019

Anyone try the steel bracelets from Bulang & Sons? They look nice in the photos, but without the endlink looks a bit odd to me. I wonder if any other endlinks would fit these modern BoRs?

19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 15, 2019

I think you get what you pay for...

The Planet Ocean bracelets are great...

Alphasports likes this.
  20. BradleyJ. Jul 16, 2019

This is spot on. In the winter I have to remove a link or half link (honestly I forget) and vice versa in the summer. This could be solved by adding the micro adjust clasp right out of the box but of course they wanna gouge a little more money outa their customers.