Forums Latest Members

Do Omega bracelets need to improve?

1. jaymyms Oct 23, 2015

Omega is the brand that has really been pushing the envelope in recent years, turning me into aa real fan of the brand. In conversations with other watch enthusiasts, I always seem to find myself talking about Omega and their cutting edge technology, longer (than Rolex) power reserves, etc etc.

However, the one area I feel that Omega really needs to improve, is their bracelets. They just don't really compete with Rolex in this department. The end links on some models look awkward, the butterfly clasps that appear on far too many sportswatches in the collection, hell, their clasps as a company just lack serious technology and adjustments etc. And then there's just the bracelet itself. Why is the modern Speedmaster bracelet worse than previous generations? It should be the opposite. For a company that pushes the envelope the way Omega has recently, why has the bracelet been ignored? Such a huge determining factor in how a watch wears and presents itself!

Frunkinator likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 23, 2015

The latest bracelet on the SM300 is pretty awesome and has push the adjust micro sizing

3. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Oct 23, 2015

I recently bought my 3750.50 pre-owned, (new in December 2013). It came with the 1998 OE bracelet and with a 'vintage look' 1171.63. The first thing I did was to get a black leather strap on it! In my view, most chronographs - especially if with a black dial - look at their best on a black strap. Much more comfortable too.

jflores and nlogax like this.
  4. neilp Oct 23, 2015

I think the bracelet thing comes and goes over time, as manufacturers push each other with improvements. Of the vintage bracelets I have seen and tried I'd take an Omega over a Rolex - I have a '50s folded Oyster that really isn't very good, and a Beads of Rice Omega (perhaps a little newer, '60's) that is far better in use.

The current Rolex bracelets are nice - my modern Datejust's Oyster is a very comfortable bracelet and the Easylink adjustment is a great feature. If Rolex put the Glidelock clasp on more models they would have a clear lead, in my opinion. (For those unfamiliar: Easylink is a fold out 2 or 3mm extension concealed in the clasp that you can used to add or remove some length as your wrist swells and shrinks. Glidelock is a more advanced version with several settings and a wider range of travel but only sold on the dive watches) The bracelet on my newly purchased Speedmaster Moonwatch is very nice but without a half link to adjust it better (or more options on the clasp) it is likely to end up in the strap drawer which is a shame - although it does look great on a strap too!

5. shutterlife Oct 23, 2015

I'm quite happy with my omega bracelets.

PatrickJ, oddboy and italy1861 like this.
  6. cuts33 Oct 23, 2015

Agree, but there's really no reason at this point why that clasp shouldn't be extended across the various lines.

Frunkinator and jaymyms like this.
  7. italy1861 Oct 23, 2015

I love the bracelet (1998-840) on my Speedy Pro. Sturdy and comfortable. I find the adjustment range just fine for me but, the available half link makes it very easy to get a perfect fit. As cuts33 said, I'd like to see the SM300 clasp used on other bracelets also.

PatrickJ likes this.
  8. yinzerniner Oct 23, 2015

I truly believe it's going to happen. The Mark II reissue also has the push-button clasp, and it sizes and feels like a dream. The clasp itself is not so much bulkier than the ones that are currently on the Speedy Pro so just getting the clasp endlinks to fit shouldn't be an issue.
    On that note however I think the current and last gen Speedy Pro bracelets were too bulky for the few operations they could do, and the latest gen with the screw-in links is very heavy with less sizing flexibility since you can't MacGyver a SMP half-link to work with it.

9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 23, 2015

They should improve upon the thickness of the PO.

I think the POti was one of my all time favorite looking watches. I tried for a month, but could not get use to the thickness. I ended up selling it :(

But to the original post, I love the clasp on the PLOPROF 1200. The micro adjustment is just wonderful and this watch/clasp goes back 5+ years.

PatrickJ likes this.
  10. cuts33 Oct 23, 2015

The clasp not being offered on the Speedy Pro when they "re-designed" it and upped the cost with the new box, etc. was very surprising to me and seemed like a no brainer to do.

11. alford78 Oct 23, 2015

Yes. Adjustability is the only reason I haven't bought a couple different Omegas. My Rolex Sub has the adjustability so am just used to having it now.

jaymyms likes this.
  12. nedley Oct 23, 2015

Having small wrists I much prefer bracelets with smaller links like the 1479, since they end up being more flexible and thus able to negotiate sharper turns. The lug shape and end link curvature makes a big difference as well. Omega's turned lugs are a lot more forgiving in this regard than straight lugs.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 23, 2015

7912 is nice. 1447 and 1450 too. Improve, or return?

14. jaymyms Oct 24, 2015

I've also read that Omega isn't making their bracelets in Switzerland anymore. That's disappointing. This company is kicking some serious ass, I just don't understand why as issue as relevant as this isn't getting more attention.

I recently bought a Milgauss, and honestly, the AT Master Coaxial is equal to or even slightly better than the Rolex in a few categories, until that butterfly clasp and bracelet came along and sent me over to the green box.

I don't have an Omega newer than my late 90's Speedy for this reason and this reason alone.

15. Interstatetime Oct 24, 2015

The clasp on the Ploprof is probably functionally better if perhaps not as well made as the new Rolex clasp. I too hate the Butterfly on my Seamaster Day/Date.

JohnCote

16. NT931 Oct 24, 2015

I've been pretty happy with my Omega bracelets so far, whether modern or vintage. Speedy bracelets, Aqua Terra bracelets, Great White bracelets, and BOR bracelets... even though my wrists are skinny, they've all been comfy.

The comfort aside, my only quibble is that design-wise, they're kind of conservative.

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Oct 24, 2015

I generally like Omega Bracelets, and until one or two years ago I thought they where superior to Rolex. At least on the heft and build. Yes, the adjustment is not quite there but they feel great.

I am more used to the Rolex through and once you get that lighter noisy loose Rolex Tuna can into you you kinda love it. A sub with a lather is not that much lighter than a sub with a bracelet. A Po with a Bracelet is a workout. Mind you, there is something nice about feeling that steel.

So. I enjoy both I guess.
    The Omega's do tend to get outdated faster though, for whatever reason. Like everything (Vintagy) Rolex there is something Iconic and just right about the designs and they simply don't age (Same as the Speedy in Omega)...my AT (my favorite Omega at this time)has a very comfortable bracelet but it seems just a little dated just one year after it came out.

18. Riviera Paradise Oct 24, 2015

Overall I agree with @jaymyms post. I hated the AT 15000 Gauss bracelet (seemed tacky and way too shiny) and changed it to a Barenia Omega OEM strap. I also could not get used to the SM 300 M Co-axial bracelet: I appreciated the new adjustment feature, but I just could not feel comfortable with it and have been wearing the watch full time on a Nato Bond strap. After the strap change on the AT 15000 Gauss and SM 300 M Co-axial I am now in love with both watches again and use them regularly in my rotation.

I do love my Rolex Explorer II 42mm bracelet, very comfortable and silky smooth and generally when I have tried other Rolex sports watches, their bracelets they do seem superior to Omegas. I just recently tried a GMT Master II BLNR again this week and could not get used to the shiny PCLs on that bracelet either (in fact I did not warm to the BLNR as I expected to and walked away from the AD feeling even more love my EXP II).

I would add that Omega have been doing much more interesting stuff on their dials compared to Rolex recently and that is probably why I have preferred their watches to Rolex in the last few years.

jaymyms likes this.
  19. jaymyms Oct 24, 2015

Agreed on the dials. Movements also.

20. Blackbox0903 Oct 24, 2015

i like the bracelet on my AT