Forums Latest Members

Do older speedmaster pro's wear smaller than new/current ones ?

1. jrrs May 23, 2017

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, researching speedmaster pro moonwatches... my question is, do older 42mm references wear smaller than current 42mm ones (I've only been able to try on new ones at boutiques) ?

I ask this because this is true of 40mm Rolex SS sport models (e.g. Sub, GMT II), and the current speedmaster pro moonwatch hesalite is a bit big on my smallish wrist.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer ! (Ps I did try to research this but came up empty in my searches).

:cheers:
    JR

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 23, 2017

Post 1968 Professionals are all the same case. All 42mm Speedmasters are for all purposes identical size wise.

Speedmaster dates are 40mm and wear smaller.

Edited May 23, 2017
  3. OmegaRolex May 25, 2017

I would say yes. I have a vintage Speedmaster. While they are both technically 42mm, the modern ones feel heavier and look slightly larger. I believe it has to do with the thickness of the lugs.

The same can be said about vintage Rolex. For example, I almost feel that vintage Rolex GMT models wear like 38mm.

trackpad likes this.
  4. jrrs May 25, 2017

Thanks- exactly the info I was looking for! Totally agree about older Rolex references. No doubt five digit references are lighter and smaller than current six digit models even though they are the "same" 40mm dial size.

5. yinzerniner May 25, 2017

This might be a placebo effect, since as @Foo2rama stated above the case, caseback, crystal and bezel has remained the exact same dimensions (but not design) since the late 1960's. However, what might be influencing your perspective is the bracelet which has changed dramatically over the past five decades and 100% objectively effect the wear size and heft of the Speedy Pro.

And comparing the Speedy Pro to certain Rolex models is misguided since Rolex constantly changes the dimensions and materials of their lineup. Fatter lugs, ceramic vs aluminum, plexi vs sapphire, bezel width, case depth, etc. etc. are drastically different model to model.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 25, 2017

I would also tend to agree that its placebo effect, I've fitted the exact same 516 and 633 endlinks off vintage bracelets to my modern Gemini IV LE from 2005 and there was zero difference in the fit around the lugs at all.

The difference is in the bracelet and endlinks which certainly were thinner and lighter in previous decades but progressively got thicker and heavier.

gemini4 likes this.
  7. OmegaRolex May 25, 2017

Regardless of the "placebo effect" or not, my opinion is that the vintage models wear smaller than modern. While the case measurements somewhat differ (modern being slightly larger), other posters have correctly pointed out the increased heft and quality of the bracelets.

Personally, I prefer the design and aesthetics of vintage regardless of the perceived smaller size.