Forums Latest Members
  1. LowCountry Dec 18, 2014

This may be answered somewhere else on the board but I haven't been able to find it. Can anyone tell me if I need a master coaxial v regular coaxial? For an average guy wearing a watch for normal use, is this a necessity? I know Omega is moving in that direction.

Thanks guys.

2. jud Dec 18, 2014

Only if it's in the watch you want.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 18, 2014

"Needs" such as this are personal, beyond that I would answer no.
    Do you need a Mercedes or BMW vs a Ford or Vauxhall?
    If you need extreme performance perhaps a quartz would serve you.
    You have not seen this answered because in the context of your question it is unanswerable.

4. Sherbie Dec 18, 2014

My flippant answer is no, unless you work next to high powered magnets all day long

Omega are making a big play of the effects caused by microwaves, hi fi speakers and the like - but in 52 years i have never noticed any of my watches being affected by such household items

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 18, 2014

If you've got the choice its a nice thing to have, and if buying a new watch I'd try to go for the new one.

Fusion and watchme like this.
  6. KstateSkier Dec 18, 2014

yes...

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 18, 2014

Additionally if you're out at lunch and this bloke shows up you'll genuinely regret buying the non Master-Coaxial

[​IMG]

Fusion, sarir97, Macobrien1 and 11 others like this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2014

No...

Just feel like being contrarian today. ;)

But on the technical side, if you are considering buying, or have already bought, an Omega that has the silicon balance and balance spring, the Master Co-axial is not going to be a significant increase in protection for the everyday things that people interact with. And even if you don't have a watch with a silicon balance spring, a demagnetizer is cheap!

Cheers, Al

Fusion, mzaza, gtuck and 4 others like this.
  9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 18, 2014

Someone posted somewhere that Omega is basically making fixes for non existent problems. I love and respect advances, and I did get the AT Master CX knowing that i was getting a top line movement and paying for it.

So, for the sake of turning the omelette around, since both movements are going to serve you well, think on the aesthetics of the cases holding those movements. The coaxial watches tend to be thicker and stand taller on the wrist, sometimes getting on the way of tailored or proper dress shirt cuffs. In some models that extra width works well, in others not so much. It's a personal taste tjing, but something to consider as you will notice that way before you notice any movement differences

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 18, 2014

Just remember on ΩF we battle him back with this guy,

keanureevesmatrixAsh2.jpg

NT931, Privateday7 and Nobel Prize like this.
  11. chickenman26 Dec 18, 2014

Al,
    Anti-magnetic properties aside, is there any difference between the Master and non-Master in terms of service intervals or lubrication requirements?

StuO

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2014

Nope.

13. Lee CL Dec 19, 2014

if you have the spare cash, why not? We usually buy things that come with extra features we don't really need. :)

For me, I will set aside the cash for service interval instead of getting the master coaxial, unless I cannot find any regular coaxial in my area or the master coaxial look more appealing to me.

14. ctime3 Dec 19, 2014

If your looking at the Aqua Terra collection the masters are different in the color of the second hand. Not a reason to buy for that sole reason. But I do favor the gold color second hand on my Aqua terra master more than the non that had a blue second hand

Nobel Prize likes this.
  15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 19, 2014

Me too, actually

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 20, 2014

The other key difference is the surround around the date window on the previous generation has been removed on the Master Co-Axial version and replaced with a bevel similar to the Planet Ocean around the window

17. jud Dec 21, 2014

Shame. I do prefer the surround.

18. PharaohRamses Dec 22, 2014

HILARIOUS!!!

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 22, 2014

The opposite for me, never liked he window and like the cleaner effect of the new design.

20. datniche27 Dec 24, 2014

Lol, I love the word "need" here

sarir97 likes this.