Forums Latest Members

Do Ebay listings get stale?

1. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. May 11, 2016

I'm in real estate and listings get overlooked after some time. People think there's a problem after months have gone by. Does this happen with watches?

Case in point is this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintag...765127?hash=item3d1a17b047:g:8s8AAOSwoydWrUGpPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I do realize there is an inscription on the back.

OMGRLX likes this.
  2. lillatroll May 11, 2016

I don't think that it is necessarily the same with watches but you do tend to see some items on the bay for a long time. Expensive watches are not exactly everyone's priority so it is easy to see why they could take a long time to sell. Not sure about this particular watch but I think that dealers just keep on putting the same stuff out there in the hope that someone buys it and pays the asking price. There are plenty of posts on here about people buying first and asking later and finding out they have paid over the odds.
    Perhaps some people also decide that they want a certain price for something and will not drop the price no matter how many times they have to list it. I am a huge fan of the f300 cone watch. On ebay you will find several up for sale at around 1000 pounds. Those same ads have been there for over a year. I recently bought a genuine NOS with tags and plastic still attached for 400 pounds, which while not over priced it was no steal either.

GuiltyBoomerang and OMGRLX like this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 11, 2016

As an aside, that engraving is well executed, and wouldn't bother me a bit!

4. Finrod Felagund May 11, 2016

observatory has been polished too hard and half of the stars are almost vanished :confused:

5. glownyc May 11, 2016

I don't think they get stale. I think they are just overpriced for the current market. A watch with a scratched case gets listed at the same price as the sold one without scratches. A house gets listed at just 10k less than the one with 25k of upgrades.

6. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum May 11, 2016

Many times even if a watch is listed for more than it is worth, it never hurts to ask the seller if he or she will take less. Always come with comparable completed sales if possible to back up your offer.

7. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 13, 2016

I was speaking yesterday to a guy who has a Speedmaster for sale through eBay and its been listed time and time again and no buyers. Personally yes I think its gets stale and people might think its not sold so is there something I'm missing here?

As said above its also down to price. Most watches on eBay factor in the ridiculous cost to sell a watch over £2000.

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 13, 2016

it seems to me that the listings that stay around are usually over priced. $0.99 no reserve auctions get things sold.

Look at some of the straight lug speedmasters that have been up there for ages. way over priced for what they are.