Forums Latest Members

Do a lot of wives not wear watches?

1. Canuck Jul 30, 2018

My spouse was at a birthday party for a 90-year old friend, recently. One of the guests asked a friend if she had the time. She didn’t. Nobody within earshot was wearing a watch, either! One of the group mentioned that Mrs. C (my spouse) always wore a watch. As it happened, she was wearing her favourite 1960s vintage Omega Sapphette, 14-karat white gold case, pastel blue faceted synthetic sapphire crystal. Remarkable what can be done with a derelict watch that you buy for scrap. A bit of sweat equity, and voila! And, yes, the textured dial has been refinished, for those who think it might matter.

03AE41AD-1E3C-4913-9670-18A972FC286B.jpeg

2. vbrad26 Jul 30, 2018

My wife does, but she is by no means an aficionado.
    The only 2 she wears however are an Apple watch, and a gold/diamond quartz Concord that she inherited from her great grandmother.
    Most women I know around my age (30) mostly wear Apple watches, thank god the Michael Kors trend has fallen off.

sdre and noelekal like this.
  3. ninjamattic Jul 30, 2018

Mine wears an Apple Watch 80% of the time. The rest of the time it's a Coach watch with a brown leather band.

sdre likes this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 30, 2018

My wife has a Seiko w/ MOP dial that is about 10 years old now. But she mainly wears a $20 Timex (the 2 cheap cloth straps I bought for her cost almost as much as the watch). She just paid $8 to get the battery replaced. She feels lost if it is not on her wrist or within reach.

sdre likes this.
  5. Dan S Jul 30, 2018

My wife has definitely gained an appreciation of watches through me and she usually wears a watch. Her two favorites are both Omegas. An old SS black dial cal 266 that I gave her and a fancy ladies coaxial Speedmaster with MOP dial and diamond bezel that she got from her employer for five consecutive years as a high performer. She also has a men’s Air-King that I gave her that seems to go in and out of favor with her and a white G-Shock. Pretty solid little collection now that I think about it.

The only problem is that I recently learned that because she doesn’t always have her reading glasses on she has trouble reading the time from some of the watches that don’t have high contrast between hands and dial. So she actually wears them as jewelry and doesn’t even bother to set the time. :)

Edited Jul 30, 2018
    sdre, noelekal, Shabbaz and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sublime_1 Jul 30, 2018

My wife wears Tag Aquaracer (quartz) daily. Prior to me buying her this watch to congratulate her masters she wore a fit bit.

Dan S likes this.
  7. bigdubnick Jul 30, 2018

My wife switches between two vintage pieces that I bought from OF...originally for myself ::rant:

IMG_1618.JPG

@rhetoric - she refuses to give them back to me

Deafboy, rbob99, rhetoric and 7 others like this.
  8. time flies Jul 30, 2018

If we're going somewhere cool or where it might be appropriate I may suggest or offer a watch for her. Sometimes she accepts. Otherwise, it's the fitbit or nothing. The fitbit is a tool, the other an optional accessory. She's not big on things dangling about her wrists. She does like shiny things on her fingers and ears. It all works out.

have fun
    kfw

9. gostang9 Jul 30, 2018

My wife has no interest in wearing a watch, and she abhors the idea of wearing a Fitit. My friend and his wife always wear their Fitbits and my wife refers to them as "tracking devices". I've suggested many lovely vintage watches to my wife and I would be very happy to buy her any that she liked, but alas she has turned down every single suggestion so far. The only thing she's hinted at possibly accepting would be a small decorative Quartz Cartier (that with her eyesight would be useless to tell time).

10. WatchWalker Jul 30, 2018

IMG_9257.JPG
    Then again, she's not really my wife....:whistling::whistling::whistling:

11. Canuck Jul 30, 2018

Truth to tell, my wife is not a watch collector. The only watch she ever bought for herself, she bought 60 years ago, when she went into nursing. In 52+ years of marriage, I have given her at least a dozen. Her usual go to watch is a Rolex Oyster Lady Date which served her well over her nursing career. Matter of habit, it is the one she wears most often. She has two quartz ones which she never wears. If she is wearing a watch other than her Rolex at any given time, 90% of the time it will be the Omega shown above. I have long ago learned NOT to ask her if she would be interested in owning a particular quality vintage one. She would say no, so I just pick it up, fix it up, and give it to her.

12. watchcollect Jul 30, 2018

Everyday. Been separated for easy access
    37EB0B0A-75D5-4C81-9CEF-22B6E8759B98.jpeg

Pretty sure this one is going to be added to the drawer soon ::confused2:: As I haven't worn it since this photo
    BB01E7B4-1349-41C8-9924-F8362FB4D207.jpeg

13. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jul 30, 2018

My wife has a few fairly nice watches but hardly ever wears them these days. I notice more and more women have moved over to fitbits.

slowhand likes this.
  14. lillatroll Jul 30, 2018

My wife wears a Garmin Forerunner when we go running, well its more of a shuffel in my case but I try my best. Otherwise she only wears a tiffany necklace that was bought instead of a wedding ring. She doesn t even have her ears pieced. She is not big on accessories of any kind. My sister wears a Micheal Kors or G Shock but she would happily wear one of mine if I gave her one, which I won t as she can buy her own :)

15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 30, 2018

Lady 'A' is never without a watch and this is the regular,

fullsizeoutput_a2e6.jpeg

16. rcs914 Jul 30, 2018

My wife wears no watch but her apple watch. :(

I even have a couple interesting ones I've picked up over the years - two 36000BPH ladies watches - one a Seiko, the other a faceted crystal Citizen. I also have a pink MOP dial rectangular SS Victorinox quartz watch that's pretty nice, but she doesn't like that one either.

Mtek likes this.
  17. Mtek Jul 30, 2018

My wife always wears her Apple Watch, I don’t say anything as she looks good wearing anything. I suggested buying a birth yr Rolex for her and she was def interested. I’m currently keeping my eye out for a nice ss model (she doesn’t like gold).

18. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 30, 2018

My wife has two watches that is her own (Both pink, typical :)): a Datejust and a Baby-G-shock

A68D5292-5B03-4800-8B20-42AB875A42C8.jpeg

But sometimes she borrows my GMT

0BEDAC6F-288B-455A-9824-0211E8DBB22F.jpeg

And sometimes she also wears my Seamaster 30.

44BDCE90-DAB9-451D-A221-400D090C388C.jpeg

My wife actually likes watches and likes wearing nice watches.

Syrte, CTS-V, SouthernScot and 10 others like this.
  19. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 30, 2018

Mrs. noelekal has a selection of mostly yellow gold Omega and Longines watches from 1950s and 1960s that I have gathered in for her over the years, small things that make my eyes water to have to read, but she's petite herself so likes them. She saves them for special occasions though, preferring a simple Longines quartz for daily wear that I picked up for her in a duty free shop in Schipol in the late 1990s.

Her favorite happens to be here today because the battery died. She's tired of the mechanical watches and about to be annoyed because I haven't gotten around to changing out the battery in it. Guess I'll change out the strap as well. She doesn't care for reptilian straps. I gotta attend to that as we're going out of town later this week.

IMG_3674.jpg

This is the one she's generally found to be wearing in photographs.

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

auxpomme, Syrte, alam and 11 others like this.
  20. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 30, 2018

my wife ignores the lovely Longines I bought her since she stole one of my RR grade Bulova quartz watches.... tragic really.

SouthernScot, Togri v. 2.0 and Dan S like this.