Forums Latest Members

DIY Makeover - Modern Speedmaster in Steel

1. captain_NEMO Apr 20, 2019

Recently acquired a modern Speedy from a TS, and I'm completely smitten with it. Love the legibility and the overall vintage vibe of the hesalite version, and the watch has been constantly running just under a sec fast per day since. Add the history and the iconic status of the watch, and it couldn't be any more perfect - or so I thought.

However, the more I stared at my Speedy, the more I realized that I wasn't completely digging the steel bracelet it came with. Don't get me wrong, the bracelet itself is a well made bracelet - it's robust and has some heft to it. I just feel that the polished inside links were a bit ostentatious for a "tool" watch, and had a slight diminishing effect on my overall enjoyment of the piece.

For the most part, I prefer the look of the brushed, unassuming metal bracelets on most of my watches. There's nothing more rugged than a Speedy on a 1450, or an Explorer on oyster. However, I didn't want to take out a second mortgage for an original 1450 and was still undecided about the 1171/1. After countless youtube videos on how to brush metal and constantly reassuring myself that I have somewhat steady hands, I decided to brush the bracelet myself.

The forums were littered with useful info on what tools were needed. Bergeon 2834C was the preferred brushing tool, but since I've had experience with similar fiberglass scratching tools, I opted to save $40 (+ shipping) and bought a $7 brushing pen from Amazon instead.

At first, I was preparing to brush the whole bracelet, but decided to just simply flip the bracelet inside out since that side was unpolished. The only thing I ended up brushing were the end links. Each sliver of the polished link took about ~40 light whisks of the pen to achieve uniform brushing. After removing the protective tape, the end results were perfect! The brushed links blended with the factory brushing flawlessly! (Caution: using the pen will result in microscopic splintering of the fiberglass. Lay down a moist paper towel as your mat and use gloves when working. Inspect and wash hands thoroughly after)

My Speedy is now perfect! Although I love NATOs and leather, I foresee using the bracelet more often now than I originally planned. The etched part number on the bracelet even gives it an "issued" look, IMO.

And now the gratuitous pics:

Before:
    IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_4753.JPG

And after:
    IMG_2254.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_9047.JPG
    IMG_2483.JPG

lustrousaurus and KLXN like this.
  2. Donn Chambers Apr 20, 2019

Don’t like the fact you can see the bracelet code. I’d either brush the “true” outside, or get an 1171.

But that’s me.

77deluxe, Foo2rama, chiswick and 2 others like this.
  3. chiswick Apr 21, 2019

Seems lot of trouble to go to for a "tool watch" each to his/hers own

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 21, 2019

E323AE77-DD5E-46D9-BE0F-2C9C06CE41F7.jpeg Seems like a 1171/1 with 633’s from an OB would work the best. They are under 400 now.

77deluxe likes this.
  5. 77deluxe Apr 21, 2019

1171s are really fantastic. They have a great feel that is hard to describe. They work so well.

6. boraxman Apr 21, 2019

Kudos for being crafty and brave enough to do that...I do agree on not caring for the number link visible though.