Dive watch lovers, why do you love them?

Posts
1,008
Likes
5,854
And the bronze case encourages me to not worry about scratches and marks.
Bronze is a great idea. I could see myself getting into that as a watch case material. Somehow I never thought of that until now.
 
Posts
1,008
Likes
5,854
And now, of course, I'm on the Squale mailing list. They have a new watch coming out. I like the look but my dive watch needs are presently satisfied.
 
Posts
30
Likes
89
I like a dive watch for the simplicity. Set it and forget it. Wet, dirty, whatever....it'll pretty much go through anything I can throw at it. I don't dive and never have. However, you never really know what you might encounter.
 
Posts
91
Likes
136
Nice Squale. Excellent choice!

I like dive watches because I'm not a white collar guy. I'm a Marine, I fly airplanes, used to dive, I ride motorcycles, hunt, and own two farms. Your run of the mill dress watch just isn't tough enough for my lifestyle. 30m WR isn't gonna cut it. I don't abuse my watches but they have to be able to withstand some vigorous daily living. I have a handful of sport watches that are dressier than my traditional divers but most of them are good to at least 100m and have screw down crowns. My AquaTerra is one example. The exceptions being my Speedmasters. I've bought a few non diver/sport type watches and I always end up giving them to my wife. So, the main reason I prefer dive watches is my lifestyle. They're better suited for me than dressier watches.
 
Posts
1,008
Likes
5,854
Famous last words. 😎
Well…. And also I’m now looking at another watch I tell myself fills a different “gap” in my collection. Probably the only thing stopping me from going further down the dive watch rabbit hole is obsessing over other watches… 🤦🏽
 
Posts
788
Likes
2,323
Well…. And also I’m now looking at another watch I tell myself fills a different “gap” in my collection. Probably the only thing stopping me from going further down the dive watch rabbit hole is obsessing over other watches… 🤦🏽
Always.
 
Posts
788
Likes
2,323
My first watch was a Seamaster 2351.80 Blue dial and daily driver for years. Added some speedmasters which I started wearing more to the office. Tastes change and started looking at vintage divers, rotated through a few.

None of the newer Omega offerings really did it for me. Plus, looked at the prices for the current offerings, figure might as well spend the same for a vintage sub or speedmaster or something else which suits my tastes more.

Then came the Ploprof Summer Blue. 30 years ago never would've considered it. All the pics it looked massive on the wrist, never thought I could pull it off. Once I tried it on, it wears deceivingly smaller due to no lugs and is the perfect dive and tool watch.

It looks like no other and wish I would of grabbed one years ago. Was also on a cruise stopping in Aruba so there might have been rum and sun involved with the purchase, but that's besides the point.
 
Posts
788
Likes
2,323
And since we all like pics. Know I have some other ones of divers I've rotated through, might see if I still have them. They two older Subs don't get anywhere near it unless I get caught in the rain. If I am doing anything remotely outdoors or water related, grabbing the Ploprof.

Edited:
 
Posts
1,008
Likes
5,854
My first watch was a Seamaster 2351.80 Blue dial and daily driver for years. Added some speedmasters which I started wearing more to the office. Tastes change and started looking at vintage divers, rotated through a few.

None of the newer Omega offerings really did it for me. Plus, looked at the prices for the current offerings, figure might as well spend the same for a vintage sub or speedmaster or something else which suits my tastes more.

Then came the Ploprof Summer Blue. 30 years ago never would've considered it. All the pics it looked massive on the wrist, never thought I could pull it off. Once I tried it on, it wears deceivingly smaller due to no lugs and is the perfect dive and tool watch.

It looks like no other and wish I would of grabbed one years ago. Was also on a cruise stopping in Aruba so there might have been rum and sun involved with the purchase, but that's besides the point.

If I ever expand a dive watch collection, an older Seamaster (early Bond era) would definitely be on my list. Then references like the Ploprof or some of the more flamboyant yacht-timing 300Ms would be my expressive pieces.
 
Posts
13
Likes
55
For me, it’s the combination of simplicity, robustness and character.
A good dive watch is easy to read, can take almost anything, and somehow looks right on a bracelet, rubber, leather or NATO.
I don’t need to dive with one to appreciate the original purpose behind the design. And there is something very satisfying about a watch that was designed as a tool first and still looks this good decades later.
This Seamaster 300 pretty much sums it up for me.

 
Posts
6,482
Likes
22,020
Perhaps just dive watch curious.
This is good.
Primarily a Speedmaster guy but would look at divers. The idea of a go any where, do any thing watch was appealing, and how I thought of dive watches.

When Omega came out with the 4th Gen planet ocean, there was a lot of talk that included comparisons to the prior generations. That's how I discovered the 3rd gen PO in 39mm with ceramic dial. It was gorgeous to my eye, and a great build. I went looking and found a full set like new one for 5k, which seemed cheap for such a,quality build. It's been my daily now, which I would not have guessed.



The only downside is having to take teasing from my wife about not using it to go diving.
 
Posts
1,008
Likes
5,854
The only downside is having to take teasing from my wife about not using it to go diving.
The reason I don’t use the term “dive watch” around my wife.
 
Posts
934
Likes
5,049
After years of wearing a dress watch that suited my career, I started wearing a dive watch or tool watches because they now best match my leisurely lifestyle.