Forums Latest Members
  1. misterhyde Aug 9, 2020

I bought from an Omega AD a month ago a brand new Planet Ocean 600m. The white dial and bright orange bezel one which I intended to use in the height of the summer. Unti then it would remain well packaged with silicone moisture pouches in my underfloor safe. The safe is not damp, it’s dry. The watch has never been worn.
    The weather has been nice and so I took it out to wear it got the first time. As the cold dial hit the warm air it totally clouded over with condensation from the inside. I contacted immediately the AD who suggested I contact Omega direct, not because he was avoiding the problem, but because it would be quicker.
    Quicker for what? I do not want a seal check and a service, I want to give this piece of shit back and get a replacement watch. Do I have to accept the same watch back in perfect order or can I demand a replacement?

43B74E1F-AF36-4285-AFF5-63CCE95D2DBA.jpeg
  2. Evitzee Aug 9, 2020

You would be on firmer ground if the watch was bought within the last week or so, but now a month has gone past so the 'gimme a new replacement watch' period is iffy. You may have to settle for a service to correct the problem. Make your case to the AD. How cold was the safe, pretty unusual for this to happen with stored watches.

3. misterhyde Aug 9, 2020

I bought from an Omega AD a month ago a brand new Planet Ocean 600m. The white dial and bright orange bezel one which I intended to use in the height of the summer. Unti then it would remain well packaged with silicone moisture pouches in my underfloor safe. The safe is not damp, it’s dry. The watch has never been worn.
    The weather has been nice and so I took it out to wear it got the first time. As the cold dial hit the warm air it totally clouded over with condensation from the inside. I contacted immediately the AD who suggested I contact Omega direct, not because he was avoiding the problem, but because it would be quicker.
    Quicker for what? I do not want a seal check and a service, I want to give this piece of shit back and get a replacement watch. Do I have to accept the same watch back in perfect order or can I demand a replacement?

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 9, 2020

Use the credit card protection, hopefully. Dispute the charge and go easy on the underfloor storage thingy ( a dry safe that is well above the 600m would be my honest description).
    Stuff happens and I would trust an Omega assessment/correction.

The AD views you as hassle and unprofitable time, look from their perspective.
    I would hope you are well served Dr. Jekyll and don't have to go all Mister Hyde on them.

5. kip595 Aug 9, 2020

If through a boutique, I'd say try to get the salesperson on your side to go to bat for you w/Omega (Swatch Group if you prefer) directly. As an AD, they're probably correct that going through them will slow the process rather than speed it.

In the end, on a watch so new and obviously under warranty, I wouldn't be worried, but unless something in the T&C has changed it will probably be at Omega's discretion whether to issue a completely new replacement, though moisture collected inside can make a case for it. 'Demanding' a replacement will probably produce results in the opposite direction IMO. It will depend, of course, not only on your behavior, but also the rep you end up dealing with on the watch.

Good luck!

6. wolfe44 Aug 9, 2020

I like that planet ocean color scheme. Even if they service it instead of giving you a brand new one does it really matter, assuming no damage was done?

7. NGO1 Aug 9, 2020

They will only offer a replacement if you bend hell on them. They, however will try to have you send in for service, under service warranty.

if you send in the watch for service, you’ll probly get a free Omega hat...just saying.

8. funkright Aug 9, 2020

Why when someone asked a question did you just copy and paste the same original comment? Good luck in getting serviced quickly, I can understand the frustration but you’ll definitely get treated better if you take the same approach (helping them help you).

9. Meme-Dweller Aug 9, 2020

I think two threads merged

OmegaP99 likes this.
  10. Gruesome Aug 9, 2020

Sorry about the bad experience with your Omega. I hope the warranty replacement issue gets sorted out. This link has some info on the options: http://lehtoslaw.com/does-the-lemon...-you-buy-something-other-than-a-car-or-truck/

One part of the description though I do not understand, and that is why condensation would happen on the inside when a watch is brought from a cold and dry environment into warm (and humid, I assume) air. Normally, condensation would then happen on the outside of the cold watch, where the humid air is now cooled below the dew point. Large amounts of humid air would have to get into the watch for it to condense there before the condensation on the outside has warmed up the watch.

A procedure to test watches for water ingress involves cooling the outside of the dial of a warm watch (e.g. by putting a few drops of cold water on the dial) and observing water condense on the inside. So the watch would have to come from a warm humid place into a cold environment, the opposite of what you described.

Quite puzzling.

Edit: just reread the original post; those 'silicone moisture pouches' hopefully were 'silica desiccant pouches'.

Edited Aug 10, 2020
  11. Donn Chambers Aug 10, 2020

I was also wondering about this. Living in Florida, this is a common occurrence from me when I leave my car — the air vent blows right on my watch, cooling it significantly.

One assumes the OP checked that the fog wasn’t on the outside of the crystal only, but if someone has never experienced this Or understood the physics, I could imagine they’d think the water was inside.