Forums Latest Members

disappointed: 8500 gaining 6-7sec a day

1. UCrazyKid Aug 13, 2011

Hello!
    I'm new here. I just purchased my first Omega, a Teak Grey Aqua Terra Chronometer 41.5mm.
    I LOVE the look of the watch and am really excited to own an in-house movement. I have ready many wonderful reviees of the 8500. However now that I have my piece I'm disappointed that it is running at the extreme end of the COSC spec at 6~7sec/day. I'm not sure what todo? Does it take time for the movement to settle down? The watch is 2 months old. I'm interested in others thoughts/experiences, especially other 8500 owners. I have read of others getting 1~2sec/day watches pretty routinely. However I'm hessitant to send it in and have it opened up and wait 6-8 weeks.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Andy

2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Aug 13, 2011

Check the list of watchmakers who repair Omega models. If it's consistently 6-7+, they can likely regulate it for you. Doesn't take long, and you should be able to have it back in a few days.

Perhaps the dealer you purchased it from could take care of this without a lengthy wait?

Hope it's a simple fix. Welcome to ΩF :thumbsup:

3. UCrazyKid Aug 13, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion. Since it is relatively new and under warranty I thought only Omega would would want to open it to regulate. I live in California but it was purchased from an AD in MN, so taking it in to the dealer is not an option right now.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 13, 2011

You should be able to take it anywhere for regulation, in movement terms, a good quality movement is consistent but not necessarily on time, the fact that it is keeping +6-7 per day means that the movement is definitely consistent, you just need to have any watchmaker fine tune it, typically they will take 3-5 days, regulate it, time it, and dial it in as well as they can over that time before handing it over, there is a cost but its very little, I think the last one I did was $30. Just find a local reputable Omega AD, or independent watchmaker, if you explain it to an Omega AD they will probably help you anyway.

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 14, 2011

As a matter of interest, can you share with us your wrist habits? For example, are you taking the watch off and resting it at night, are your habits sedentary? A watch can gain and lose a number of seconds each day depending on what happens to it.

Cheers

desmond

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 14, 2011

I've actually been wondering how much of a bearing that has on the Cal 8500, the early Rolex Calibres like 15xx series are heavily influenced by position, and my 7750 SMPC is as well but the current 3xxx series Rolex movements and the reports I've read of the Cal 8500 shows them very close in all positions. I can sort of imagine the co-axial escapement having some bearing on that in the Cal 8500, but I'm not sure why the new Rolex Calibers are also dramatically less variable in different positions

7. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 14, 2011

Yes, generally I think because of the Breguet overcoil and other technical improvements, watches of this quality should have better performance in all positions.

Omega's go off to COSC with a maximum 4 seconds variation in all six positions, but as soon as a watch gets on a wrist many thing can happen to change that.

I would leave the watch in question for a couple more months to see if it settles at all. If it is running plus all the time that is a good sign.

Cheers

Desmond

8. UCrazyKid Aug 14, 2011

Thanks for the continued replys.
    The watch is worn daily and placed face up at night for ~8 hours.
    I have warn it for long car drives ~8 hours (sedentary) and worn it all day walking a amusement park with my kids (very active) and seen the same 6-7 sec gain. It is VERY stable, just fast. I'm sure this is a good sign for a successful regulation.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 16, 2011

Stable but fast is absolute cake to solve, I always ask to have my watches between +0 and +2 if possible, always + something rather than negative, so that all you have to do is hack it for a few seconds to resync it to a correct time source. Erratic timing is something else entirely and should never be seen in a quality watch, but your piece sounds spot on, just needs to be slightly adjusted.

The reason Desmond is suggesting you leave it a while is that in the first few months of use, the timing will vary during a sort of breaking in phase, and it will settle in after that. If its already 4-6 months or longer you've had it, might be worth getting it done, else you should wait it out.

10. mandoris Nov 8, 2016

I had mine with the same stable 6-7 sec/day gaining. I took it back to the boutique for other reasons but I also mentioned this problem. They fixed it and now the watch is running with an unbelievable +0,5 sec/day accuracy. After a week it gained 3 secs! Excellent!

SmokyT and meganfox17 like this.
  11. meganfox17 Nov 8, 2016