Forums Latest Members
  1. Swizznasty Dec 26, 2018

Hello,
    I am new to the forums and have searched in the vintage threads and wasn’t able to seek a previous post out. I recently just purchased a 1967 Seamaster deville kl6068 14kt bezel as back. When looking at the Omega website it states a regular non Chrono service would be $550 usd and precious metal non Chrono roughly $100 more. I have also been referred to a local CMW21 and wondering in anyone’s previous experience would I receive similar expertise. I have read about the CMW21 has done a rigorous 4 test course held over 3 days. Does that include vintage watches and would this potentially be cheaper or more expensive due to him not only working with Omega. Any feedback is greatly appreciated because I am adamant about my time peice having a wonderful healthy long life. In my 20’s and would like to pass this down! Also does anyone know if vintage minute hands are hard to find or is there replicas out there? Not to sure but thanks in advance !
    Ross

fskywalker likes this.
  2. zwjk Dec 26, 2018

The preferred option is always Omega, but the problem with Omega is that they would want to change the existing parts on the watch to newer "service parts". These newer parts detract the value and character of a vintage watch. For such reason, I always recommend a third party watchmaker who will let you retain the existing parts on the watch.

For vintage parts, eBay is your best bet. There's also a classified section on here also.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 26, 2018

Is not really true. For vintage Omega is typically the last place you want to use, in particular if you want to maintain originality.

Cheers, Al

Foo2rama, KingCrouchy, Dan S and 2 others like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 26, 2018

The testing does not involve any vintage work at all, and all the tests are done on modern watches (ETA quartz, plus 2824-2, plus 7750).

I would ask the person who has been recommended 2 questions:

1 - Is a significant portion of their work on vintage watches, and specifically vintage Omega?

2 - Do they have a parts account with Omega?

If either answer is no, I would consider looking for another watchmaker.

Cheers, Al

5. fskywalker Dec 26, 2018

Can you post pictures of it? Not running well or just want to have it serviced as don't know when it was serviced last?

6. Dan S Dec 26, 2018

See here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/post-purchase-info-on-a-67-de-ville.6733/#post-1125285

BTW, @Swizznasty, I am a big proponent of developing a relationship with a good local watchmaker.

- You avoid the risk and expense of shipping
    - It's convenient for minor tweaks, repairs, and adjustments that you would otherwise just decide to live with
    - He can help you evaluate purchases, which will save you from mistakes or help you decide to keep a watch that you would otherwise choose to return under time pressure
    - He may connect you with other customers looking to sell or buy a watch

Sometimes there is a special situation, and you may choose to send a watch elsewhere to take advantage of unique abilities. But this appears to be a fairly conventional job, and a good opportunity to find someone local.

Edited Dec 26, 2018
  7. Swizznasty Dec 26, 2018

@fskywalker The vintage dealer I purchased it from said his watchmaker would do a quick cleaning and swapped the original glass with a newer one ( I still have the original but due to wearing it I wanted it to be clear). I don’t know the last time it was serviced. @Dan S my buddy! Always so helpful!
    Thanks,
    Ross
    560cal KL6068.png 1967 SMD 14kt 1.jpg 1967 SMD 14kt underside.jpg

Edited Dec 26, 2018
  8. Swizznasty Dec 26, 2018

My apologies for those horrendous photos , didn't realize how such bad quality when selecting on my phone. But I do live in the Tri-state area of the US and bounce back and forth from New Jersey- CT rather enough. and in CT I found a few CMW21 but i thought to have the cert the previous CMW was included but again I am new to all of this and any valid information will be very useful. If anyone is from this area and has experience with a watchmaker who does fine work with vintage Omega pieces I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Ross