Dipping toes in Vintage with an Omega Geneve

Picked this up as a first foray into something vintage and also a birth year even if its a silly idea to want a watch for that reason. Anyway aside from the year I wanted to suss out the size for me at 36mm.

Its an automatic Omega Geneve, basically their basic entry level line. Condition is OK with some scratches on plexi or whatever it is. Might try and polish some of them out, you can see them in the pics and one is casting a shadow on the dial. The dial itself looks to be in good condition. Case has a few marks also but not too bad. Overall it looks decent enough. 1012 automatic movement so nothing fancy but seems to be fairly robust and reliable. Strap isn't to my liking and it has an Omega buckle but I suspect chyynaa, no scratches and says acierinox (weird flaired X) and swiss stamped on it but seems wrong. Also too short and brown isn't for me. I need to do more investigating on the buckle especially as I have only scanned the buckle thread

I'll have a play with it, want to get it on a nice looking back strap so suggestions welcome. From there I'll wear it as a dress watch and see if vintage is for me. I'll get some high mag pics under a digital microscope for fun when I get a chance and when I do I'll post them.

I think I can get away with the 36mm but reckon its style dependent and a black strap may aligator style might give it a bit more weight?? Let me know thoughts on straps, don't want to spend a fortune but something decent.

Looks nice. Could use a crystal polish as you say. 36mm is on the larger vintages sizes.

Nice watch. Enjoy it! The size it's good even for our modern era. I know that many peoples prefer watches over 40mm but for this model look very good on the wrist. Did you consider to find a stainless steel bracelet or you prefer your watches on the leather band?

Very nice first vintage. Definitely polish the scratches out of the crystal. This is a good skill for a vintage watch owner to develop. A plain black strap would look nice in my opinion. I think the padding on the one you have is too much for the watch, and I am not a fan of the brown for this dial color.

Thanks all. Black Barton alligator leather strap ordered so that should help "lift" the entire look.

Ive been looking at the poly watch stuff on Amazon as I've seen it mentioned in a few how to vids. I also read somewhere about the cape cod metal polishing cloths but need a bit research on them. I have a tin of mothers so that may be just as good.

Looking forward to getting the strap and going from there. Size is smallfor me as my usual going out watch consists of a Seiko King Samurai or King Turtle, neither small in their own right at least not until compared to my big pilot clockon an a wrist that I love.

I'll update with pics and posts as I go.