Forums Latest Members

Ding Dong The Smartwatch Witch is Dead!

1. Riviera Paradise Dec 20, 2016

Rejoice Mechanical Watch Lovers!!!...The Apple Watch Witch is Dead! Apple Watch sales down 71.6%!!:whipped:

Interesting seeing this appear in a tech online site:
    http://gizmodo.com/no-one-is-buying-smartwatches-anymore-1788153001

Of course a bit of an exaggeration saying the Apple Watch is dead, but the recent folding of Pebble and sales drop of the Apple Watch do show that the imminent collapse of the mechanical watch industry is not going to be motivated by the smartwatch, as some hysterical analysts predicted initially, at least with this current iteration of the smartwatch.

Interesting that Garmin sales are up...so there is clearly demand for a Health/Sports related smartwatch and Tag/Heuer have had surprising initial sales with their "smartwatch" (not sure if Biver is right about future dramatic expansion for 2017...but who I am to question Biver's pulse on the market?:))

Of course mechanical watch sales are taking a fall, but as we know that seems to be more motivated to significant drops in the Hong Kong/Chinese market and watches in the precious metals category (which are indeed ridiculously overpriced - look at the retail price of the gold Omega Globemaster, for example)

Latest report from the FHS out today shows some degree of stabilization:
    http://www.fhs.swiss/file/59/comm_161111_a.pdf

Cheers.

Mad Dog, müslüm, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  2. Fost Dec 20, 2016

three witches watch three Swatch watches... which witch watch which Swatch watch ?? :D

(Nothing related to the post sorry but as i am not English i really love this joke !! even if alone...)

Edited Dec 22, 2016
  3. Canuck Dec 20, 2016

Remembering what I said in the thread re: the downfall of the mechanical watch being precipitated by the Smartwatch..............:):thumbsup:! Doom and gloom, indeed!

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  4. WatchVaultNYC Dec 20, 2016

I wear a smartwatch, practically 24/7. It tracks my steps, notifies me about work and personal stuff, give me directions while walking (without having my phone up all the time), controls my music, shows me security camera footage, records conversations that need to be recorded, shows me my shopping list. I can even use it as a remote camera trigger for my phone. It is waterproof and lasts 2-3 days on a charge (Sony Smartwatch 3). It's one of the most useful devices I own.

For people who counter "but your phone can do most of that", I reply "well your home computer and landline can do most of what your mobile phone does, and much better - yet you have a mobile phone. Convenience, convenience"

I wear it on my right wrist. I wear a mechanical watch on my left. If you understand that in function it does not compete with mechanical watches at all (except for maybe the low-low end), then there would be less haterz IMHO.

Edited Dec 20, 2016
    Tik-Tok of Oz, Mad Dog, Alpha and 8 others like this.
  5. Riviera Paradise Dec 20, 2016

Great input by an actual smartwatch owner:thumbsup:

I have seen people wearing Fitbit on one arm and a mechanical watch on the other and I have considered that option. All I might want in the future is notification of e-mails/text, something like this https://wearchronos.com/ would be good enough for me or a Fitbit type band with notification. Not sure I would want to wear it all the time.

Can't really see myself wearing a larger device such as a smartwatch and a mechanical watch...and I have no issue reaching for my smartphone to actually see where I am going via GPS, especially in Rio where the shortest route could lead you to a favela with some rather mean chaps sporting AR-15s at the entrance.;)

Tik-Tok of Oz and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  6. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Dec 20, 2016

Funny, I actually just bought a Garmin Fenix 3

7. ulackfocus Dec 20, 2016

I have watches that are so smart they don't even need batteries! ;) ::psy::

8. AveConscientia Dec 20, 2016

Does anybody remember my Apple "Watch" rant? I still feel the same way can't wait for them to be worthless and them over in my Corvair.

9. AveConscientia Dec 20, 2016

I may be wearing a Casio DBC 600 but yeah down with the "smart" watches
    image.jpg

10. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Dec 20, 2016

isaac.owen.nz, Mad Dog, kkt and 3 others like this.
  11. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Dec 20, 2016

adi4, Mad Dog, kkt and 3 others like this.
  12. Rman Dec 21, 2016

I'll kindly remind folks that millions of women were burned at the stake for no good reason.

kkt, Archer, dialstatic and 2 others like this.
  13. Collectionist Dec 21, 2016

Yes (said The Pythons) and then the rabbits will come out - to eat you. White killer rabbits.

14. meganfox17 Dec 21, 2016

I always believe smart watches are here to stay. They are neither a Witch threat or Voodoo curse nor a replacement but a wonderful compliment. Get the best of both worlds ,keep abreast of the latest digital trends & stay ahead of the competition[emoji68]

I'm getting a Samsung Gear 3 next year[​IMG]What makes you think Superdoc doesnt own one of the18K gold or platinum babies[​IMG]

15. Riviera Paradise Dec 21, 2016

I think the samsung gear with the more classic rotating bezel is one of the better attempts out there:thumbsup:...will be interesting to see your posts on your future experience using both smartwatches and mechanical...don't really care if @Superdoc does have or will have a gold or platinum smartwatch...that would actually be quite depressing in terms of bling ostentation::puke::.

Also I don't see what "competition" you are so concerned about...take a step back and perhaps you might see that the smart move could actually be to not follow all the latest digital trends and have the power and freedom to disconnect;)

My thread post title was in jest and to provoke...and a bit of :whipped: for those that predicted the downfall of the mechanical watch.
    Cheers

kkt and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  16. dialstatic Dec 21, 2016

I'm not happy at all with these declining sales. I don't own a smart watch but always felt that at some point, they would be worth buying into (like how I only got a mobile phone when the first iPhone came out: finally a phone that did everything I wanted it to).

I wanted to be a late adopter of the smart watch, reaping the fruits of the investments of the early adopters before me. But this decline doesn't send a strong signal to producers to develop and innovate further. It may remain a gadget this way, and not live up to its potential. Oh well, guess we'll see.

17. meganfox17 Dec 21, 2016

Thank You for You concern & advices Riviera but I can formulate my own opinions & come to a conclusion on such matters. I'm the Witch of the OF , remember ? Justifying my reasons & posting photos of any future smartwatches are not my style Sir.

Seriously Riviera , you need to cool down & relax . Pray tell me why did you accuse me of being some pseudo celebrity Diva wanting to be in the limelight on the forum ? Or was that only a provoking jest too ? You want a woman off the forum ? Ok Riviera. I'll just tell the Mods to ban me. I wont be complaining because maybe I deserve it

When you were missing for months , ask Sergio how many times I posted stuff saying how much I missed Riviera on the forum. @ulackfocus interpreted my posted photos yesterday with absolute Dead Accuracy because Dennis is familiar with my "amateurish " looney twisted style & you actually accused me of being some pseudo celebrity Diva just like the young women seeking attention these days ?

Totally UnCool , Uncalled For , Sir. I have learnt my lesson. Thank You for having me on your thread Sir.

18. ncstate1201 Dec 21, 2016

Well maybe sales fall on these things because there probably isn't a collector market (yet) and all early adopters of tech that want one probably already have one and I am doubting they will buy a second until there is a huge advance in technology, at that point there may be a huge flood of preowned on the market and their sales may go back up. Just my thoughts... my nanny actually walked into my house with a new one yesterday...ugh

19. ulackfocus Dec 21, 2016

The reason the market is down now is because it isn't new anymore. All the "gotta have the latest tech" people already got their fix when these smartwatches came out. Their desire to be like Dick Tracy has been quelled.

Maybe they could make a shoe phone next for us Maxwell Smart fans.

noelekal and Riviera Paradise like this.
  20. Riviera Paradise Dec 21, 2016

SORRY @meganfox17! My post was indeed uncool and uncalled for.

Edited Jan 10, 2017