Forums Latest Members

Dilemma: vintage vs. daily wearer

1. ClarendonVintage Apr 30, 2017

Have been thinking about this for a while, I enjoy vintage watches mainly and am also planning to get a daily wearer.

Always wanted to get a vintage omega pie pan, but i cant see it as a daily wearer obviously. Question is: would you wear a vintage watch (dressy) as a daily wearer? How has maintenance been? :)

citizenrich likes this.
  2. TexOmega Apr 30, 2017

Made to wear daily if maintained properly, just don't swim or get caught in a deluge of rain.

Tjmmartin, Baz9614, Foo2rama and 5 others like this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 30, 2017

Vintage is the daily wearer around here.

4. albertob Apr 30, 2017

Is getting the same in Italy :)

ConElPueblo and ClarendonVintage like this.
  5. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 30, 2017

I haven't wore a new watch in 30 years, all of my watches are vintage and I wear them every day. They were built to last and run. If you cant enjoy them whats the point of owning them?

marco, Vitezi, Baz9614 and 9 others like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 30, 2017

If you are a water rat like me you need a good waterproof watch. My modern GMT Master II is my water and cycling buddy. Then as I discovered if you are running accross Airports in July, don't wear your Tri Compax. Then as I discovered if you are commuting in the rain, don't wear your Angelus. That's why I also own some modern JLC and RGM. You need a mix IMO.

bigsom, Mad Dog, George.A and 2 others like this.
  7. Kmart Apr 30, 2017

+1. I wear my vintage Speedy a lot of the time but you can't exactly wear vintage watches to the beach / pool / while diving / when it's 100 degrees out and humid. Some people would just not wear a watch but I can't go anywhere without a watch on my wrist. So I have my modern divers for that.

8. neilfrancis Apr 30, 2017

ClarendonVintage likes this.
  9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 30, 2017

Vintage wrist when its dry
    vintage pocket watch when its damp or threatening.
    diver when its wet and I need a motorcycle ride.

cheap-ass quartz when I'm cleaning the toilet.

Tritium and ClarendonVintage like this.
  10. ClarendonVintage Apr 30, 2017

This might sound a little silly, but one thing I am dreadful of is the effect of the glaring sun + temperature on my vintage watches. Say you walk down a freezing street in the morning and enters a room with a warm heater at your work place/school. Don't know what fog protection would a vintage watch have.

11. Rman Apr 30, 2017

You own a vintage watch company and you're debating wearing a vintage watch?

I think the word here is discernment. Would you wear a fur coat on a tropical beach? Would you wear a Tricompax skiing? Would you swim with your phone in your pocket?

BenBagbag, Paulomega and albertob like this.
  12. albertob Apr 30, 2017

I agree with the mix.

For special occasion I wear my vintage omega.
    To go to the beach/informal occasion Swatch sistem 51
    To go on holiday my diver from citizen.
    To go to the office I have a modern certina.
    I'm considering to add to them a datejust from the 90s though...

13. LaurentBxl Apr 30, 2017

You can still wear a vintage diver when it is damp/raining. But I agree that some commun sense is helpful. I make my choice in the morning and the weather is part of it. Even more if I use the motorbike.
    For me it is not a question of money, but a question of eventually damaging a vintage watch for which parts are hard or impossible to source.
    I only use my seadweller near water, that is the only watch that gets tested for waterproofness every year.

14. ConElPueblo Apr 30, 2017

The only modern watches I own are a Speedmaster and a couple of digital Casios. I wear the Casios strictly when out running or on a field exercise - for all other occasions I wear vintage and always get a great feeling from it. So what if it may cost me a watch at some point, life is for living.

micampe, michael22, albertob and 5 others like this.
  15. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 30, 2017

Wearing and enjoying vintage watches!!! He must be MAD! this guy is off his chain.... RUN!

Having said that.... why own them if you can't wear and enjoy them? It is, after all, what they were made for.

My Dad wore his fifties 30mm Omega Century from when my Mom bought it for him until just a few years ago... and he wore it everywhere.

I don't remember it ever letting him down... except once when the crown came off so he soldered the end of the stem to replace it. It had this big blob of solder for a crown for years, how he got away with it I'll never know. So yeah, I think they really can take it.

marco, michael22 and ConElPueblo like this.
  16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 30, 2017

I'm with @ConElPueblo on this one.
    I don't own any modern watches.
    Connies every day - come rain or shine (to be fair it doesn't rain much in Kuwait)
    I only take them off when I'm doing the washing up - but then again I have a maid for that ;)

Watches are for wearing - and enjoying.

17. ras47 Apr 30, 2017

Ha! I'm the opposite, but also the same. I don't have any true vintage watches. My Rolex GMT2 was made in 2000, but it's not vintage - just a little old. Anyway, I too say "wear 'em." I'm wearing the Rolex while my Speedmaster is in the shop for a bezel replacement, but I wear what I have. The enjoyment of using my watches far outweighs any enjoyment I could get form having the watches sitting in a cabinet or in a safe. But that's just me.

Peemacgee likes this.
  18. Canuck Apr 30, 2017

Speaking as someone whose newest watch is 28 years old, I am always wearing vintage watches. Antique watches for every day wear? Definitely not!

19. ClarendonVintage Apr 30, 2017

I was thinking along the lines of maximum protection while wearing them daily. Not subjecting them to Bear Grylls conditions anytime yet :)

20. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 30, 2017

You have a 28 year old watch? What's next quartz?

I wear 'em all, its what they're for. Although the cylinder escapement movements make a bit nervous... there are NOoooooo parts!

P1010312.JPG P1010080.JPG

nlogax, Mad Dog and ClarendonVintage like this.