Forums Latest Members

Dilemma, good things come in threes?

1. Capt Cave Man Jan 9, 2020

Dear fellow OF members, by accident... I have a bit of a dilemma...

Late last year we had a bit of a watch-fest weekend for our wedding anniversary where I bought SWMBO an Apple Watch (amongst other bits n bobs) and she bought me my first, really nice watch, a 2014 Brietling Transocean Day Date - it was our 20th! We ended up in an AD as at the same time had I dug out her De Ville 551.0066 for a service as I, err wanted to look at a rubber strap and deployment for the Breitling :whistling:

Well, here I start to blame the Brietling... in November I placed the order from said AD and haven't stopped looking at watches since... In December I bought on a Constellation 168.0065 on a whim as it's around my birth year, hence me now being on OF more hours of the day than I dare mention, and in finding I lucked out a second time on the rare'ish Conny and now hankering & investigating the Speedmaster Professional...

I really have caught this sickness bug ::facepalm2::

Meanwhile... I haven't heard from the AD about the strap and deployment since placing the order so I fired off an email today enquiring but also asked about the rumours of a new Speedmaster movement. I explained I'm saving with the intent of buying two for my 50th in a few years time, a 145.022-69 Straight Writing (as close as damn it for a birth year) and a modern watch approx. 50 years later. I didn't know if I should bite the bullet now on a 1861 which would be more realistic for me to purchase than a suspected price hike for a 3861. I was expecting an email but within the hour I received a phone call...

Firstly, apologies that I hadn't been updated. Breitling are currently awaiting new stock, expected in Feb 2020, I read as, 'oops, order not placed yet'.

Next, they don't know about a new Speadmaster (321 aside) but that Omega have put back their annual announcements from February to March, I have no idea if this makes any sense to those of you in the know?

Then comes their whammy, if I'm interested in a 50th anniversary watch, we have just received an APOLLO XI 50th Anniversary LE, would I be interested in purchasing it?

Now, as an average earner I've maxed out in the last few months on watches, the aim was to continue to save for two Speedies but this has got my head in a spin. If I can come up with the funds (I believe I can scrape enough together) I haven't even read up on this as thought by now they would be all sold and never thought one would be in touching distance.

Are they marmite, another LE? I'm really tempted for 50 reasons although this would be me out of funds for watches for the foreseeable...

Watches::rant:

chronos and funkright like this.
  2. funkright Jan 9, 2020

My interest for the APOLLO XI 50th Anniversary LE would be driven by 'how' motivated they are to sell it to me... Outside of that, I would have to move a current piece to jump on that edition. Personally, at its initial SRP, I am not going to jump onto the Steel 321 bandwagon. Maybe a few years out as the market gets saturated (if that is indeed what occurs). Anyways, YMMV, but that's my take.

3. Capt Cave Man Jan 9, 2020

Thanks @funkright, I agree on the 321 SS and that each are to their own.

I would eventually still like to hunt down a 145.022-69 but this would have to be further down the line. I'd never considered owning a LE until it was dropped on me today... to have a ~50 year old and the 50th LE Speedmasters lined up is seriously playing on my origional thinking.

I do like the idea of what would be required for me to be motivated to push the button rather than just heart over head...

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 9, 2020

You know your going to buy the 50th, no need to ask us.
    Show us pictures when you get it. :thumbsup:

Syrte, chronos, mjb and 2 others like this.
  5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 9, 2020

I hear ya!

Deployant

Never go into debt for a watch. Ever. When in doubt, go back to the beginning of the sentence ;)

Eve, gpssti4, WYO_Watch and 1 other person like this.
  6. Capt Cave Man Jan 10, 2020

Agree 100% hence the comment If I can come up with the funds. I have a weekend to crunch the numbers before confirming anything with the AD.

DaveK likes this.
  7. RazorFrazer Jan 10, 2020

Thats really cool man.

so you wanted a vintage speedy and modern 3861 speedy? Hmm. Why dont you just wait dor the new ed white?? One great watch that you can wear sounds like more fun than two that are battling for attention.

8. Ian_km Jan 10, 2020

A nice problem to have!

I passed on the 50th because it didn't sing to me, however others love it and it will be a special bit of history. So if you like the design and can afford it then go for it. I've also declining the list for the 321 but that was more budget related I'm afraid.

9. Dan S Jan 10, 2020

Have you looked at the 50th anniversary LE? It’s definitely not for everyone.

10. mjb Jan 10, 2020

You need to go see the watch in person to decide. Pictures are misleading.

I fell for the DSOTM in pictures, then saw that it was 44mm (too big for me) and then I went to the store and put it on, and I was a goner.

When I bought my Speedmaster Pro in October, I never dreamed that I be buying another one in December. So much for restraint, budgets, etc.

11. Capt Cave Man Jan 10, 2020

If I go ahead I can reserve it on Monday, I'll take an afternoon out to head over and review before any final decision...

I'm understanding that right now...

12. Capt Cave Man Jan 10, 2020

My origional bright idea ::screwloose:: was a birth year Speedy and a modern 1861 for my 50th. As my half century is still ehem, a few years away, I was planning an enjoyable hunt. With investigating the history a bit more, I had settled on a 145.022-69 Straight Writing.

With the rumours of an imminent change to 3861, I was considering hitting the button on a 1861 early.

The offer of the APOLLO XI has come out of the blue hence posting and has now set my Friday night of action in reading up on OF threads and reviews.

If going ahead, it means any hunt for a '69 is off the cards for a while but the thought of both still really jumps out to me.

13. RazorFrazer Jan 10, 2020

I personally would pass on the 50th. especially at MSRP.

14. Evitzee Jan 10, 2020

Why? None are being sold at less than MSRP. Prices seem to holding at above MSRP right now.

15. ChrisN Jan 10, 2020

I bought a new Speedmaster in 1997/1998. It's a great thing to own that ages with you. Not my 50th but, close to my 40th... I think any watch that you buy for a special occasion is a lovely idea. I've got a few, as has my wife;). They are not universally loved on here but my 1996 claw Constellation was the first expensive watch I bought new and am intending to keep that:)
    as well as the Speedmaster.

I am going to sell (in UK) a -69 with virtually perfect DON and 1039 bracelet later this year on the 50th anniversary of its production so, June 12th (according to the extract). Serviced and 2 year warranty (when I find the time to do it). If it's of interest, let me know and I'll send some photos.

Cheers, Chris

16. Capt Cave Man Jan 10, 2020

Hello Chris, the new would be put aside for a proud father to son moment, believe me, at only 17 he deserves it. A '69 would be for me.

I could be knocking for first dibs if I don't get it. Sorry to ask, is it a straight writing back with a DON? Would love to see some photos if you have time?

The reason I'm interested in both is that when my mum was in her early teens still to reach 21... and only just has ;) she worked in a photo developing shop in Cambridge. This happened to be around the time of Apollo XI splashing back down to earth and a number on the ships returned to Lakenheath or Mildenhall USAF, guess where they took their films to be developed...

Apparently most, if not all staff made extra copies :whistling: I've yet to have that conversation with my biological father who kept them when they separated... to have originals!!!

17. ChrisN Jan 10, 2020

Good story and hopefully, you'll pick up those originals... Interesting job your Mum had, especially in that area. Went to Mildenhall in the early eighties (?) and remember the F104 display at an airshow there - terrific.

Nice idea as well to get a modern Speedmaster for your son. Sure he'll love that as the years go by.

In fact, mine is not a SW as it has the Hippocampus and "Speedmaster" written on the back so, a 145.022-69, sorry. I see I have a quick photo on Instagram as it's late here in the "land of summer sun" (Somerset:)):
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B0HHOUfn8MA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

It's a nice watch but I don't wear it a lot. Can send other photos if you want. Enjoy the hunt for what you want:thumbsup:.

Cheers, Chris

18. Capt Cave Man Jan 10, 2020

Grew-up watching the Mildenhall airshows and hooked up with Mrs Cavey at one of them.

That's an extremely nice DON Speedy @ChrisN

19. Capt Cave Man Jan 17, 2020

Well, what a day!!

May I introduce my latest into the fold, my first Speedy to boot! I didn't think it would be one of these... apologies on the photo, may need to upgrade the phone just for OF.

image.jpeg
    OmegaRookie likes this.
  20. Evitzee Jan 17, 2020

Congrats, but what's up with that bracelet?

pianomankd likes this.