Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. tyrantlizardrex

tyrantlizardrex C is NOT for "Lizard". Mar 7, 2016

Hey All,

Looking for a little guidance/advice on a 176.0012 that I picked up last year.

This is a one owner watch, that the owners son got given as part of his estate, it's dirty, needs new glass, and a service... and maybe a refinish.

I say maybe, because I am torn on what to do.

STS have done fantastic work on the MK3, the Geneve Chronostop, and the Seamaster Chronostop that I've sent them - all were in need of some love, and I feel are much better now than they were when I got them.

The 1045 though, still has sharp edges, still has the original finishes (if a little scratched), and as far as I can tell hasn't been near a watchmaker since it left Switzerland in 1984.

So, help me decide:

1 - The tidy up - deep cleaned, fully serviced by STS
    2 - Full spa treatment - refinished case, deep cleaned, fully serviced by STS
    3 - Sell it - given than I'm not sure what I want, I'm putting this out there as an option.

I know different things appeal to different people, some love a factory fresh look, and the 3 watches I've had refinished have had lots of positive comments... I just wonder if this one is good and honest, and should just be left alone, or if it would be even better for a good going over.

Lots of pics below... help me out here guys.

IMG_6803.JPG IMG_6804.JPG IMG_6807.JPG IMG_6808.JPG IMG_6809.JPG IMG_6810.JPG IMG_6813.JPG IMG_6814.JPG IMG_6815.JPG IMG_6816.JPG IMG_6818.JPG IMG_6820.JPG IMG_6825.JPG

2. oddboy

oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 7, 2016

If you're gonna sell it, then leave as is.

If you're gonna wear it, get the movement serviced and leave the rest as is. Looks very nice to me.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo

ConElPueblo Mar 7, 2016

Yup - depends on your plans, really...

Keep forever/for a long while: The full treatment.
    Keep for a while, use frequently: Service.
    Sell on in a foreseeable future: Leave as is.

Ray916MN and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  4. Garv

Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Mar 7, 2016

I'd tidy it up and wouldn't go full treatment

5. Archer

Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 7, 2016

Just because the case can be made to look new again, doesn't mean it should be. I would not touch the case no matter what you decide to do with it.

Cheers, Al

6. tyrantlizardrex

tyrantlizardrex C is NOT for "Lizard". Mar 7, 2016

I think that's where I am on this one to be honest.

The MK3 had been highly polished, and had a couple of chunks out of it, so to me, a laser weld, and refinish was an improvement to the condition that it had been put in, not through use, but through a 1990's "refinish".

This 1045 is one owner, and to be looks to be pretty straight, with just a few age related scratches... a refinish would lose that honesty.