Forums Latest Members

Digging patina ...is it ruining your life?

1. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jul 7, 2019

So...ever since I purchased my patinated 1964 birth year 105.003 Echo Whiskey from great seller @Darlinboy in May of this year, the wife unit [MacGyverette] states that I’m obsessed with patina ...

Examples:

Pictured below, my patinated Vans Authentics ...after a year of skateboarding in the sun at various local skateparks, the black fabric has faded to brown ...I think it looks so freaking cool that I’ve patched the soles of these Vans Authentics and have retired them from skateboarding ...now they’re my “I’m a cool poser skater dude dress Vans” ...

A10FC45A-F360-42E5-A7A6-37FF3CCF23A8.jpeg

Pictured below, my patinated floor pan seat bolt assembly in my daily driver 2007 Ford Police Interceptor [P71] which I purchased new in 2007 ...that beautiful orange rust looks so hot ...very utilitarian looking ...like farm equipment ...I freaking dig it ...

NOTE: Apple Pencil technology was utilized in the pic below to mask the presence of cracker crumbs on/in the floor pan carpeting ...

A9227D2E-545D-401A-B87A-4091A5F296A8.jpeg

So ...I ask you now ...

1. Has digging patina regarding watches carried over to digging patina regarding other stuff?

2. If so, has it ruined your life?

3. If so, do you like your ruined life?

Also, post pics of your ruined life.

Parting pic below ...thanks a ton, @Darlinboy ...you are responsible for ruining my life ...but I like it. :thumbsup:

1313B7F4-0A75-457A-A0D5-ABE64665FBE1.jpeg

Edited Jul 10, 2019
    Yak1, Syrte, Eve and 42 others like this.
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 7, 2019

The faded Vans are pretty cool, and I can understand the patina on the watch thing, but the seat mount, that’s rot dude... sometimes patina is acceptable, cool, even valuable.

But rust on structural car parts is rot, not patina... Brown on helicopter rotor bolts or in your shorts is bad... it ain’t cool and it ain’t patina... it’s just bad. Rust is just another form of brown.... just less smelly... brown is always bad....

Unless it’s coffee

Or bacon

Or chocolate

3. JwRosenthal Jul 7, 2019

My 10 year old pair of of Simple’s say hi to your Vans. Now that’s patina!
    57AC6CAE-3EA5-4A8C-907F-BFBD82FA3DA8.jpeg

4. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jul 7, 2019

You Canadians are the biggest “Debbie Downers” in our entire solar system. :D

5. JwRosenthal Jul 7, 2019

I live in a house built in 1938, I work in a building built in 1799, I drive a car made in 2006 (with one in the garage from 1993), I live in a body born in 1972- my life is about patina.

6. marturx Jul 8, 2019

Here are my shoes I wear in my tireless wanderings in fleamarkets in my pursuit for high end luxury watches.

So far I haven´t found any, but I´m confident that I will, before my Timberlands wears out :whistling:

51C92E86-D6EA-48E8-86A6-D495E0DFE3EE.jpeg

7. Ssunnylee24 Jul 8, 2019

I love my selvedge denim.

blufinz52 and Mad Dog like this.
  8. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 8, 2019

Haha favourite OF quote :D

eugeneandresson and Mad Dog like this.
  9. airansun In the shuffling madness Jul 8, 2019

Patina is like drunkenness: in moderation, it can be a pleasant embellishment, but in excess, it is an abomination.

10. snarkq Jul 8, 2019

This thread speaks to me. Everywhere I see lovely patina. Recently my 12" cast iron pan started to develop a rusty film, just yesterday I invited over neighbors and couldn't wait to show them my "chocolate" cookware. They didn't seem very impressed but I explained to them how the pattern was even and honest and demonstrated a wabi-sabi aesthetic. Even bread, when it gets that light inkling of mould, transforms into a beautiful tropical specimen. But these delights are nothing in comparison to the mirror in my bathroom, which has developed a lovely "starry night" patina from errant toothpaste splashes. I almost caught the cleaning lady wiping it up last week and had to keep her at bay. Does she know how much that mirror is worth now? I swear, some people just don't get it!

Kmart, Dan S, AveConscientia and 7 others like this.
  11. michael22 Jul 8, 2019

Mad Dog likes this.
  12. JwRosenthal Jul 8, 2019

What I love about this thread so far is guys wearing $10k+ watches while wearing shoes fit for the dump- take that TRF!
    And I will add- yes, I own Shell Aldens and 6 pair of White’s custom boots- my Simple’s are my favorites.

Darlinboy and Mad Dog like this.
  13. OHS Jul 8, 2019

I run a reclamation yard... My whole life is basically about digging patina :)

But it's definitely a fine line between too new, beautifully aged and time for the scrap heap!

Couple of random examples...

IMG_20190609_110609.jpg IMG_20190606_151334.jpg
    Syrte, Kmart, Bumper and 16 others like this.
  14. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 8, 2019

I do not have any issues buying used items. But I do take the marketing terms with a grain of salt

Patina, wabi sabi Japanese term, Honest who knows exactly what that term may define.

Tropical dial is oxidation

All these terms are euphemisms for beat up or F'd up. All these terms define items that are less than perfect.

It all depends on the collectable item what these euphemisms define. On watches that’s up to the buyers to decide.

On firearms the euphemisms come down to condition 90% 80% etc. The lower the condition the lower the value.

These euphemisms are marketing terms. I would rather have a nos, OR mint watch than one that is well worn or worn out

In the automotive world cars are referred to as pre owned vs used car and the BS goes on and on. Vintage is an old car or pos.

Welcome to the modern world all the NOS, MINT ETC. items are drying up so people become inventive with marketing terms. It does not matter if the collectable is a watch car or firearms etc.

The euphemisms descriptions are used items Sometimes very well used or F’d up, worn out or dumpster material

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited Jul 8, 2019
    JwRosenthal, Mad Dog and GandOsDad like this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 8, 2019

I had exactly the same pair.
    ::love::

Bought them in Hawaii before they were even known in Oz. Wore them every minute I didn't have to wear proper shoes at work. Tromped all around the world in them. They got seawater wet, they got dog chewed, they got dunked in swamp mud, they got put through a front loader, they got used as gardening shoes in their autumn years. I can't remember what I did with them, might have to look in the garage and see if I've still got them (I don't think I could've put them in the bin).

nzshadow, Bumper, marturx and 2 others like this.
  16. CaptainWinsor Jul 8, 2019

Great looking place. Wish I was over there looking around

17. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 8, 2019

If I can’t find an item that I know I haven’t thrown out, I can safely assume that my wife has tossed it in the bin. I can also safely assume that when confronted she will say that she told me she would do so and that I either mumbled my agreement or didn’t answer, which amount to the same thing. Unfortunately I rarely have evidence to back up my claim that I wasn’t given due notice :cautious:

Kmart, Edward53, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  18. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 8, 2019

And that why we either don’t listen or simply answer with a grunt... she’s going to do what she wants anyway.

How do you keep from continually turning left while wearing those things?

Kmart, Bumper, McKinley and 4 others like this.
  19. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 8, 2019

EH!

Twelve and one half months of snow per year followed by three months of mosquitoes (same year, time drags up here) makes for a pretty grumpy crew. I’d migrate south with all our seniors but figure you guys have it worse down there.

What with Trump and being overrun with Canadian seniors and all...

And then there the seals! Vicious little bastards. All you guys see is how cute they are, but the little buggers come into town on garbage day lookin for easy pickings and often wipe out half the back bacon we’ve got. They’ll even take the occasional old person if they weren’t quick enough to migrate south. Vicious I tells ya!

One of the little buggers got one of my favourite sled dogs last year.

Mad Dog likes this.
  20. Jonatan Jul 8, 2019

Those should buff right up with a little spit shine.

Mad Dog likes this.