Forums Latest Members
  1. Rman Dec 14, 2015

Is there a member here at the forum who has any connections to the restoration department in Bienne?
    I would be very grateful for a little help in my attempt to restore a great old piece.
    My communications through a local boutique is not getting the kind of response I would hope for.
    regards,
    Rman

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 15, 2015

I'm not surprised.

All I can suggest is be persistent and don't accept half answered questions. I sent a watch in on behalf of a customer that had a very specific case issue once and I went back and forth with the local CS people many times before I finally received the answers I needed. I was forwarded a portion of an email from someone at Bienne that expressed to my local CS group that they were very frustrated I was asking questions and wondering why I would not "just trust them" but they finally did answer the questions I asked to make sure that particular problem was resolved.

I told the local CS manager that my philosophy was "trust but verify" and he understood where I was coming from, but said they were getting so upset he would not question them on my behalf any longer...

I'm not sure what difficulty you are having, but tell them it's your money and your watch, and you want them to answer your questions (hopefully) before giving them the approval to proceed. If you have already approved a service and they find something they feel needs replacing, they reserve the right to do that even if you have not agreed to it in advance...

Cheers, Al

thelinendial likes this.
  3. Rman Dec 15, 2015

@Archer Thank you for the reply.

Yes Al my local boutique manager was extremely helpful and facilitated a back and forth as best he could. Bienne made assertions like: "Your watch has probably been repainted. But if we restore the dial we will paint it exactly the same as the repaint, although it likely isn't correct"::confused2::.
    And "the hands are not originally paired to the dial," but they wouldn't put the correct hands on the watch.::confused2::
    They would, however, offer an expensive service to a movement that is already immaculate.:D

I hope my story will save someone some hassle in the future.
    A devastating fire in the Omega factory around 1950 destroyed any document that would inform the restoration department what your piece originally looked like. They will not restore your dial or replace the handset or crown.
    If your watch is pre-1950, you shouldn't send it to Bienne unless it needs work on the movement.
    The End.

Edited Dec 15, 2015
    thelinendial likes this.
  4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 15, 2015

Actually most serious vintage omega collectors do not send anything to Bienne - the cost is high and for the most part the results are disappointing. And even if the watch is post 1950 the chance that the repaint will be done correctly is close to zero - and they outsource this service and don't do it inhouse.

thelinendial likes this.
  5. Rman Dec 15, 2015

Indeed. Quite a shame.

Does anyone know of brands that go out of their way to restore a piece to original condition besides Patek and Vacheron? Has anyone used Longines restoration department and have anything to share? Perhaps in the future collectors will migrate to these brands just because they offer these services and consider it a duty to keep their creations in tip top shape.

Edit: I realize we are all looking for examples in perfect original condition, that shouldn't negate my comments.

Edited Dec 15, 2015
    thelinendial likes this.