Forums Latest Members

Difficulty Winding a Caliber 3313 Planet Ocean Chrono

1. ShawneeBob Aug 31, 2015

I'm relatively new to this forum, so my apologies if this has been addressed previously. I recently purchased a "like new" Planet Ocean chronograph (2210.50.00) from an Omega AD. I was drawn to this version because it has a more "classic" look and is slightly thinner than the newer 9700.

However, right out of the box I ran into trouble: when winding the crown to get it running, the resistance increased after about 10 winds and it became nearly impossible to wind after about 15 turns. Not wanting to force it, I immediately stopped winding and let the watch run to see what the power reserve was. It stopped running after 30+ hours (it's supposed to be 51), so clearly it wasn't fully wound.

Is is this common or there something wrong with the movement? Should I attempt to wind it further and not worry about damaging it? The AD didn't know, so your feedback and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edited Aug 31, 2015
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 31, 2015

I wonder if its just stiff seals in the crown, automatics like that shouldn't ever stop you from turning the crown when fully wound, they have a mechanism to allow it to just keep slipping past a certain point rather than coming to a stop like a manual wind might. How old is the watch and does it have any service history?

3. ShawneeBob Aug 31, 2015

Thanks for the response. No service history but still under warranty & I think it's going back. Just wanted to check that this isn't common with this particular movement. I have a number of automatics all of which wind smoothly and never become more difficult to wind. Also, it's not a screw-down crown.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 1, 2015

The 3313 and related movements are not normally difficult to wind manually. I would get it looked at - as Ash has said, could be as simple as a dry crown gasket.

Cheers, Al

5. chickenman26 Sep 1, 2015

If you're referring to your 2210.50.00, you're wrong about that. Definitely should have a screw down crown. I have a couple of newish Speedmaster autos without screw down crowns, and yeah, those are a bear to wind manually. But then, they aren't water resistant to 600m like your watch.

Edited Sep 1, 2015