Forums Latest Members

Different tritium looks on vintage Speedmaster dials

1. interzonez Jun 28, 2017

I've seen quite a variety of different states of tritium hour indices on vintage Speedmaster dials.

From no tritium left (maybe scraped off) to varied shades up to perhaps NOS and the tritium looking original - though likely dormant in it's capabilities to stimulate the lume. Any ideal look here? As original as possible? Type of patina preferred?

What about this tritium dial - it's a natural stage of tritium aging or not? It's a step dial from 1969

check-tritium.jpg

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 28, 2017

I'd say to answer your first 2 questions. Different years can age differently my guess is different formulations.

As for preferences... well I think it's up to it looking good. I've seen mossy dials that end up looking great. But you want it to have 4 points. All there, original and evenly applied (or easily assumed original), even patina across all markers,and looks good.

As for that dial... fails 2 points to me.

mr_yossarian likes this.
  3. interzonez Jun 28, 2017

Last 2 points ?

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 28, 2017

1.All there
    2.original and evenly applied (or easily assumed original)
    3.even patina across all markers
    4. looks good.

Guess which 2 the dial posted fails in my eyes.

5. interzonez Jun 28, 2017

Gonna have to go with 2, 4

6. interzonez Jun 28, 2017

Tritium on this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/192230689494?rmvSB=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network in the close up images seems to be very similar condition - though the look is saved maybe by the brown tropical dial..

Edit: actually looks better. Tritium on some dials looks scraped or tidied up in some way. I suppose some dials can be restored in light way without altering the vintage quality.