Forums Latest Members
  1. virro Nov 26, 2017

Hi!

I´ve found an Apollo XI 20th aniniversary speedmaster, but two things makes me a bit hesitant.

1. The serial number on the movement is close to the serial number on the back of the case (not caseback). But they are different.

2. The movement is a cal 861, but I´ve read that it should be a 1861.

The watch was sold in 1989, fingers crossed that you count that as vintage :)

Thank you in advance
    Vicor

2. davidswiss Nov 26, 2017

It should be an 861.
    The movement number is not the reference number on the inside of the case back which should be 145.0022.
    On the side you should have Apollo XI 1969 and sometimes an extra number.

virro likes this.
  3. virro Nov 26, 2017

Great regarding the movement :)

But the SN on the movement and on the back of the case (see photo) are different :S
    Thank you for your reply :)
    Speedmaster.png

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 26, 2017

If you PM me the serial number I'll look it up and see if I can find any information on the Omega Extranet...

virro likes this.
  5. omegasaso12 Nov 26, 2017

If movement number doesn not match serial on case I would not buy a watch unless there is some proof behind who and why changed numbers.

All modern omegas I have and seen all have matching numbers.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. virro Nov 26, 2017

That´s what I thought. But then I started searching and got mixed answers. This is a watch from 1989, so it is not vintage, but might not count as modern either? We will see what Archer says :)

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 26, 2017

Victor (the OP) sent me both serial numbers, but unfortunately they are low enough that no results come up on the Omega Extranet. Serial numbers below 50 million often come up with no results found, so I can't help with specific information from the Extranet.

Does the watch have all the other features that this LE should have? Does the escape wheel bridge look consistent with the rest of the movement in terms of colour?

There are circumstances where a movement number can change (for example a movement damaged beyond repair is replaced) but I would expect that Omega would then modify the case to have the same serial number.

Since this watch is from before the year 2000, you could get an Extract of the Archives for the movement serial number, and see if it's for the LE. As it stands I would consider it a frabken unless there is evidence to prove the contrary.

Cheers, Al

virro likes this.
  8. virro Nov 26, 2017

I´ve contacted Omega, a few times they really helped me out with verifying 165.024 serials when I was searching for that modell. Will let you know what they say :)

davidswiss likes this.
  9. Lupo Jun 1, 2019

Hi all, I resume this thread because i find the same peculiarity on a '91 Speed, case and movement have different serial number (but very close, 4 units difference). Case number is 4826xxx1 , movement number 4826xxx5 !!
    I don't know what to think about it, I'm sure the watch never was manipulated because i know the owner.