Forums Latest Members

Different patina for different lume plots--bad sign?

1. isaacg Jan 16, 2018

Hi OF,

I've been lurking around the forum for a few months now trying to learn as much as possible before making my first purchase, but I'm still a newbie and I wanted to ask the more experienced members a general question. If a dial has creamy, attractive lume on the hands and at some of the markers and has grayish unattractive lume at other markers, is that an indicator of reluming or uneven moisture entering the watch? The seller states that the dial retains its original lume, and personally I find the watch attractive with the exception of the grayish-colored lume plots.

I am asking this mostly for my own edification although I must admit I am at least a little bit intrigued by the watch in spite of what seems to be a fairly high price.

Again, I am new and trying to learn, so I really apologize if I have overlooked previous threads concerning the same issue (but I have searched!) or if I have violated any posting rules, but I would appreciate any input you guys have to offer even if that is just direction to a previous thread.

Thanks,
    Isaac

https://www.splendidfinetimepieces.com/product-page/1950-omega-pre-seamaster-sub-second

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 11.05.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 11.05.38 PM.png

murph likes this.
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 17, 2018

I'd say the gray lume is the original and the creme hands and lume plots have been redone.

Price is high by about two times.

isaacg, BenBagbag and ConElPueblo like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Jan 17, 2018

Possibly at the same time the hands got a make-over.

With lume plots as heavily affected as the dark ones on this dial, I would expect the large areas on the hands to be affected as well.

isaacg and BenBagbag like this.
  4. watch_nut Jan 17, 2018

@isaacg for a newbie you have pretty good observation. I would suggest to look around and be patient. These can definitely be had for less money.

isaacg likes this.
  5. isaacg Jan 17, 2018

Thanks to all for the input! Much appreciated.