Forums Latest Members

Difference in Grand Prize vs. Admiral?

1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 1, 2015

I would pick on @ulackfocus directly, but just in case others have info (or if Dennis is just done answering all my questions!), I ask the following:
    How does my Grand Prize (plain back but no photo):
    [​IMG]

differ from this Admiral (borrowed from an eBay listing):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are the same size and case shape, have identical dials except for the model names, same movement...
    Obviously the backs are different, too. But what else? Were they sold at the same time? Was one priced higher or considered better, and why?
    Does that bird on the back of the Admiral make it a better watch?
    Seems odd to me to have both in the Longines catalogue, so I'd guess they were sold at different times, but is my guess correct? Another guess: the Admiral preceded the Grand Prize because Grand Prize was in response to awards won for the design of the 340 caliber?
    Help if you can or care! Thanks in advance!

2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jun 2, 2015

Those are great questions the answers to which I would like to know, too.

If I took a guess, I'd bet that your last rhetorical question is the most correct.

I just received the Linder volume, but it only addresses the history of movements, so it's of little help here...

Bothering Dennis @ulackfocus is our best bet!

3. four of diamonds Jun 2, 2015

An important difference to consider is the movements in Admiral and Grand Prize models. Some of the vintage Admiral models have Longines movements (34x, 35x and even 43X) and others Record based (5xx) movements. Grand Prize models from the 60's usually have Longines 34X or 35X movements. The Record based movements found a home in the Admiral models and in my opinion are well made and sound, However, they don't generally carry the same value in the marketplace as the Longines in house movements. From my perspective, I don't down value my Admirals with Record based movements. They are classic designs and carry the high quality Longines is known for.

Grand Prize Siblings.jpg Longines Admiral.jpg Longines Admiral Front.jpg Longines Grand Prize 2.jpg
    Edited Jun 2, 2015
    noelekal, Geo! and dougiedude like this.
  4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jun 3, 2015

So...how do the Admirals differ from the Grand Prize if they each have the same movement, case size and shape, and dial furniture?

5. ulackfocus Jun 3, 2015

There's not much of a difference at all, except the Grand Prize was powered by the 34x and 35x exclusively. Many features, like hands, dial furniture, and crowns were interchangeable and you could see either style on either watch.