Forums Latest Members

Difference between 15000 Gauss and Master Co-Axial

1. JCBS May 22, 2015

The Master Co-Axial has 15,000 Gauss and the 8508 has not Master Co-Axial on the dial but has also 15,000 Gauss.

I know that the Master Co-Axial has an accuracy of 0/ +5 sec/day and the other Omega movements does have an accuracy of -1/ +6 sec/day, according to Omega standards.

Are there more differences between an not Master Co-Axial 15,000 Gauss and a Master Co-Axial? Or am I wrong in my conclusion that the 15,000 Gauss is not a Master Co-Axial because it not says Master on the dial?

Kind regards,
    Arno

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2015

Two things happened one after the other, one was the antimag movement with debuted with the Aqua Terra Anti-Mag, then after that Omega announced their adherence to the new METAS standard. The later didn't involve any movement changes, just a different certification process.

Riviera Paradise and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 22, 2015

Timing specs for all Omega COSC watches are still the same - all are -1 to +6 average daily rate...they may change in the future, but not yet in any documentation I have seen.

Cheers, Al

IAm_KY, jpmc86 and Riviera Paradise like this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2015

Yea it only applies to the new METAS certified rather than COSC certified watches, they've changed the specification to +0 to +5 though the movement is the same in order to differentiate it from the previous COSC certified watches.

http://www.omegawatches.com/press/press-release-detail/2838

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 22, 2015

Hi Ash - yes I'm aware of the METAS. What I am saying is that none of the actual timing tolerances Omega publishes for watchmakers to work towards have been changed yet. In other words, Work Instruction 28 has not been changed yet, so all the tolerances for these watches are all still -1 to +6. There are no "METAS certified" watches with different tolerances at this time.

Cheers, Al

6. sailingchamp May 22, 2015

The Master Co-Axial Seamaster watches are delivered without the chronometer certificate that came with the older versions.

Could it be that these watches are already tested to METAS standard but by Omega and not METAS while the agreement with METAS came into fruition only later? Does it take until mid 2015 to design a new "credit card" certificate?

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2015

The chronometer cards were removed quite a bit before the METAS announcement, I don't think its related.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. JCBS May 31, 2015

Just found this link: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6994149&rid=12189#msg_6994149

To clarify, once an Omega calibre is COSC-certified, it then qualifies for the Master Chronometer testing by METAS (Swiss Federal Institute of Metrology). In addition to measuring the performance of the watch in daily wearing conditions, METAS tests that the watch functions properly when exposed to strong magnetic fields of 15,000 gauss. Altogether, METAS measures eight criteria: 1 The function of the movement during exposure to a magnetic field of 15,000 gauss; 2 The deviation of the running time of the watch in six positions; 3 The deviation of the running time of the watch between 0 and 2/3 power reserve; 4 The function of the watch during exposure to a magnetic field of 15,000 gauss; 5 The deviation of the average daily precision of the watch after exposure to a magnetic field of 15,000 gauss; 6 The average daily precision of the watch in tests replicating daily wearing conditions (six positions, two temperatures); 7 The power reserve of the watch (autonomy functioning without winding); and 8 The water resistance of the watch (tested in water).

But it nothing says something about accuracy.

Kind regards,
    Arno

9. DAM May 31, 2015

So, as yet, the Aqua Terra is not available with this certification?

10. JCBS Dec 22, 2015

My Omega De Ville 8500 has an accuracy of -1 sec/week, and I have read that this is about the regular average for this Omega 8500 movement. It oly depents how the watch is put to rest, my watch an most of them need to be positioned overnight with the crown up. I am very confident with this result. You can find these movements in all the Omega series, even with the anti magnetic master movement. Some of the sea Masters do have the 8400 movement, which is also a Master movement and released later than the 8500 series. Good luck to you all.

Kind regards,
    Arno

CaptDngr and meganfox17 like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 22, 2015

I now have data on the timing specs...they measure isochronism differently for the METAS specs than they do for COSC, so until I have time to look at it in more detail I can't say if it's a looser or tighter standard than for the COSC watches. As noted the average rate specification is 0 to +5 for the METAS instead of -1 to +6 for the COSC, but the delta at full wind is exactly the same, so 12 seconds of delta measured over 5 positions is still allowed.

So from what I can see now, this is just tighter regulation, rather than better adjusting...

12. PatrickJ Dec 22, 2015

I could be wrong but with the older 8500 when it has a service will it be upgraded to be the same as a new omega 8500 sold. so will it be as anti magnetic as a Master Co - Axial?

13. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Dec 22, 2015

I wouldn't bet any money on that happening. In fact, Omega is probably betting that you'd be willing to buy a new watch that has the latest anti-magnetic properties :)

addendum:

Omega probably has buckets of non-anti-magnetic replacement parts for the older 8500s that can be used for repairs & servicing.

Riviera Paradise and PatrickJ like this.
  14. SMATGE Feb 22, 2016

The Master Co-axial is not METAS certified. It should read Master Chronometer on the dial in that case.
    8508 / >15,000 Gauss was just the first marking to be used. It corresponds to 8500 Master Co-axial, basically.

billyblue and Riviera Paradise like this.
  15. billyblue Feb 22, 2016

^He's right

16. JCBS Jan 11, 2017

The update from regular 8500 up to master will not be done because it simply won't fit. The service cycle for the 8500 is set on a generous 6-8 year, so in about 6 years my watch will have my first service. I do have changed my leather strap because these do have a lifetime of about 2 years, a metal would last longer but is much more expensive (too expensive for me at 1500 Euro). The wrist accuracy of my regular 8500 is going down from -1 sec/week to -6 sec/week after 2 years. On the timegrapher my watch shows a +2 sec/day rate (after 24h rest with crown and dial up), so nothing to complain about.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 11, 2017

Dimensions of parts do not change...

18. JCBS Jan 12, 2017

I do have a regular 8500(B) but I realy think that my watch meets the 0/ +5 sec/day precision (on the timegrapher), but not the antimagnetic part of 15000 Gauss master. I am serius wandering what magnetic resistance level my 8500 (Si14) watch does have, it has a silicon spring and I believe it could match far above 1000 Gauss. Half way master would be nice.

smile[1].png
  19. JCBS Jan 30, 2017

Last weekend I have found an 850 Gauss magnet and with that magnet my watch stopped running easy, so it is for sure that the magnetic resistance of the 8500 (Si14) is much less than 1000 Gauss, I think it will be only a few hundred Gausss

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 30, 2017

So after exposing your watch to the magnet, it stopped running completely?