Forums Latest Members

Did your acquisition match your pre-acquisition lust?

1. M'Bob Dec 17, 2016

In other words, did that watch, job, significant-other, vacation destination, car, etc., that you lusted after, talked about, dreamed of, and otherwise basically obsessed over ever match the great feeling you had prior to obtaining it?

A friend, who is a fanatic about Japanese tin toys from the 50's, says the answer depends on whether you are a collector, or just a buyer of nice things.

A buyer can have satisfaction; the collector can have only temporary joy, because otherwise, there would be no impetus to continue adding to the collection.

2. ulackfocus Dec 17, 2016

I had a 5 year honeymoon with my VC Malte Grande.

Riviera Paradise and Dogmann like this.
  3. Drawarms Dec 17, 2016

its the trill of the hunt for me, then my attention shifts to something else after the acquisition.

4. trim Dec 17, 2016

Sadly not - which I really ought consider a personal defect. Ah well, it keeps me hunting watches.

5. t_swiss_t Dec 17, 2016

Your statement reminded me of a favorite quotes from Yeats: "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

I guess collectors are all Irish at heart.

Deafboy, Longbow, Lonestar and 9 others like this.
  6. abrod520 Dec 17, 2016

This one, so much. Wanted it ever since it debuted at Baselworld a couple years ago. Modern watches are tough to buy as they're very often disappointingly thick or out of proportion but this thing is awesome. If it were manual-wind and the bezel rotated, I might not ever wear another watch!

IMG_2136.JPG

7. 63TR4 Dec 17, 2016

A bit of both for me with my TR4 (sorry, no big watch purchases to reference yet). It was thrilling to hunt for one and always exciting to test drive and look at each vintage Triumph, but being able to drive and work on (mostly work recently) one without hunting has its joys too. Sure there are other cars I'd love to have and drive, but every time I drive mine I forget the others and am happy with what I've got. So to answer the question, it very much lived up to the pre-purchase hype.

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 17, 2016

Mrs S proved to be a worthy long distance pursuit and has put up with me for 30 years. My Nacra 5.8 has provided 12 years of sailing adrenaline buzz. Happy with my music collection not a clunker in there. Audio/Video gear is so good I have no need to upgrade. Now as for watches all these year end review threads have enabled me to resist an further temptation. Next year I will make sure the juice is really worth the squeeze.

9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 17, 2016

On the watch front....

The skyfall was one I immediately fell in love with when it was released a few years back. I knew I would buy it on the used market. Sadly I rarely wear it, but very much looking forward to the day I gift it to my eldest son.

The Gemini 4 was one I was mesmerized with, but back then I thought it was rare and had never seen one in real life or on a message board (WRUW). I did not even think it would be possible to own one. You can't imagine how happy I was when I found one a couple years back. Poor pics on eBay and I knew it was risky but the price point was low enough to take the risk.

IMG_20161217_090014.jpg IMG_20161211_085744.jpg

10. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Dec 17, 2016

A mixed bag for me
    Cars have never lived up to the hype, so these days I drive a golf
    Handmade acoustic guitars, yes and no, but I have yet to flip a single one
    Travel destinations, Bali exceeded expectations, as did France and Italy, Thailand and Germany fell short.
    Watches as above... with the best ones my affection waxes and wanes but always waxes again... only one was a flipper from the moment I opened the box

Edited Dec 17, 2016
    Riviera Paradise likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 17, 2016

Yea ... never disappointed by travel destinations .. good add.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  12. M'Bob Dec 17, 2016

Peculiar thing: many cars are more fun to look at than own, which is why cars shows are great. One exception: all Porsche owners I know love to drive their cars, more than they like to look at them. Seems like the 911 body style doesn't seem to evoke the same emotional response as many other cars at the same price point that look better, but don't drive as well.

13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 17, 2016

I love the hunt, but never really go after anything in particular...I buy what the market presents.

My SSS was a grail that I happened to find very early this year, and I still love it even though it gets relatively little wrist time.

My 5513 on the other hand, was my second grail I obtained this year and I cannot stop wearing it. To me, it is the perfect vintage watch. I know for a fact that I will never tire of it.

I see me trading some pieces in 2017 to get other grails, but who the hell knows...the unknown is what keeps us going.

rollingrevolver and Jwit like this.
  14. M'Bob Dec 17, 2016

This raises an interesting point: in some collecting venues, what's "out there" is not well documented, so collectors hunt and are often surprised to find things they never knew existed. On the other hand, I would think that the offerings from most watch companies have been pretty well outlined, so collectors usually first identify what they want, and then go on the hunt. Except for that occasional prototype...and we all know how that goes.

63TR4 and Larry S like this.
  15. Dogmann Dec 17, 2016

Hi all,

Well I got my first Rolex a mint 16600 Sea Dweller and it ended up just sitting in its box just never truly bonded with it so no it most certainly didn't live up to my expectations at all. I had also been lusting after a Vacheron Constantin Overseas Series 1 stick dial and then just over month ago I traded it in and up for a Vacheron Constantin Overseas Series 1 42042/423A but with the Black Military dial and I just can't take it off my wrist I just love everything about it and it could easily be my one watch so has seriously exceeded my expectations. As always what's a post with out pictures so here are some.

[​IMG]2016-11-12_05-22-34 by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

[​IMG]2016-11-12_05-21-40 by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

[​IMG]2016-11-12_05-22-09 by Marc Obermann, on Flickr

Marc

watchknut, cicindela and LawBrk like this.
  16. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 17, 2016

just checking out the "bought" list for 2016 and I only picked up one watch.
    some days I struggle to pick out the "best one" from the pile to wear, I guess I may have actually finished the collection.
    and there are certain pieces that are a joy to wear every time I put them on ('55 Tresor) no matter how long I've had them.
    So yes, I guess the lust can be satiated and actually having the grail piece you watched for for a while can be a lasting pleasure once its acquired.

(that Tresor again, I always wanted the classic '50s gold dress watch and its perfect)
    P1010081.JPG

17. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 17, 2016

You were married to a big Danish lady?

18. ulackfocus Dec 17, 2016

Yes, when she baked it was ALWAYS big pastries.

DanishLady.png

Riviera Paradise and M'Bob like this.
  19. Cortezthekiller Dec 18, 2016

I tend to take a lot of time researching before I buy, so haven't been disappointed yet.

20. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 18, 2016

Depends on what it is. For me when it comes to hobbies - I wrote this here on OF earlier:

"Do not surrender to - what I have named - "grail emptiness". The feeling of meaninglessness and anxiety that can hit you when you have reached one of your goals. The emptiness and sometimes disorientation has its explanation.

Take comfort in the knowledge that collecting is not solely about the possession of things. It is as much, or more and for some, maybe to the full extent - about the quest. The research, the hunt, the journey, meetings, contacts - and the dreaming.

You are not alone in your grail emptiness. I would say we all suffer from it in different ways and forms. I tackle it by finding a new grail to covet and long for. Sometimes I alternate between hobbies to find new inspiration.

I found this some time ago and I think it is well put
    (for clarity - a quote within my quote of myself):
    “The main thing is that I discovered that half the fun of owning a watch is, like the fulfillment of all desires, about the pursuit –shopping around is fun and ownership is the beginning of something, but also the end.” Jack Forster, Contributor, Forbes Magazine"

When it comes to other things in real life ("job, significant-other, vacation destination, car, etc") I am not a hunter-gatherer. I do my research, decide, go for it - and am satisfied. Almost never dwell on these topics once there (maybe a little when it comes to cars).