Forums Latest Members
  1. adamB Aug 14, 2017

Hi All,

I'm new to the world of vintage watches, and I just ordered this 1950(ish) Omega Seamaster Automatic 2577-6.

I paid about $500US for it. Since I don't really know what I'm doing, could anyone more knowledgeable tell me whether this watch is in 'good' condition and whether I got a good deal? ie. Is it all original, does anything stand out to you as a red flag, does the movement look okay? -- I think the dial has been redone(?) (I'm fine with that).

Any information or observations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Adam

IMG_5642.JPG IMG_5643.JPG IMG_5645.JPG IMG_5646.JPG IMG_5647.JPG
  2. omegastar Aug 14, 2017

I am afraid to hurt your feelings.

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 14, 2017

I'm going to say no, not a good deal. The case is highly polished. Looks to be some serious corrosion near the crown but the photos are less than optimal. Looks like corrosion inside the caseback. The case back appears to have a matt finish, compared to the rest of the case. Better pictures will sort some of this out. Research first!!!

4. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Aug 14, 2017

The sentence a don't know what I'm doing when spending 500 bucks I just don't understand.
    Your correct it a redial which your happy with. Re good value I will leave that too others to opine.
    I have a good friend that told me they want a "watch". After giving advice I told them whatever you do just check with me before you buy anything.
    They just sent me a pic of a worn 1970s gold plated "Quartz omega" they bought for over £300.
    I really don't know why I bothered spending time and providing them with lots of information and offering to help.
    I wish someone had offered me help before my early purchases.
    Thanks to the forum for all the help and knowledge sharing over the last few years.

omegastar likes this.
  5. omegastar Aug 14, 2017

Thanks @efauser for the job. I think the movement is not fixed to the case, it is missing it's clamp.
    Should be worth the parts, around 100$ since the dial is refinished.

6. mikechi22 Aug 14, 2017

Now, I'm not one of the serious collectors on here, so take my comments with a grain of salt: I think your watch looks really nice and you'll probably enjoy wearing it! Yes, it's polished and yes, the dial might have been redone, but it looks really spiffy. The wonderful thing about these Omegas is that little intricate machine inside there that's still running its heart out 50+ years after it was fabricated! And then there's the aesthetic of the outside - it's damned nice looking! The hour markers and all on yours are great! My only worry for you is that your new purchase likely needs a service and that could run you $300 or so. PM if you would like a reference on a more reasonable option. So, I'd wear your watch happily! You're going to get compliments and you'll never bump into any of the purists out in the wild anyway!

Edited Aug 14, 2017
    bama2141, Tet, marco and 3 others like this.
  7. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 14, 2017

Welcome to OF @adamB

What you will need to take into account here is that the forums are a very knowledgeable group. Everyone is more than happy to share information and expertise, as long as everyone makes effort on what they're posting.

You've provided several good quality pictures and have given a background on the watch, and have said that it's in your possession. That's already a great start compared to some other people when they first post :)

Now onto the watch. You say that you are aware of the redial and that is fine with you. You may be fine with that, however...

As @efauser has pointed out, the case probably does have corrosion near the crown, and there has been some heavy polishing work on the case. Parts of the case are still dirty, there's been a fair amount of dirt/oil inside the caseback (and probably coming from the movement) and the rubber gasket (the black ring inside the caseback that helps prevent moisture and air getting into the watch) is pretty worn. @omegastar also pointed out that your watch is missing a case clamp.

Knowing that, if it were me, I would be asking for a refund of the watch if the seller allows it. I only say that as for $500USD, you can get a much better watch with an original dial and better case condition, and without missing parts that would prove a liability. This watch does not appear to have been serviced; if the seller did say that, it looks more like a quick clean and dip the movement in oil sort of job. So if you do decide to wear this watch, you're going to have to pay at least half the price of it to see if there are any further issues within.

I hope this information helps you and look forward to your response here :>

Tet, adamB, omegastar and 1 other person like this.
  8. omegastar Aug 14, 2017

Very nicely written.

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 14, 2017

Sorry, but I'm not going to coddle the OP. Those pictures are not good quality. Missing case clamp, likely redial (Ts next to Swiss Made but no lume is evident on dial or hands), corrosion, heavily polished, case back issue, etc., all this for a mere $500 (about $300 too much). The OP asked for an assessment so give it to him, without the sugar coating. I have to assume he/she is an adult and can handle the truth.

Edited Aug 14, 2017
    ConElPueblo and omegastar like this.
  10. adamB Aug 14, 2017

Thanks everyone for the very detailed replies and great information!

As long as there is nothing catastrophically wrong with the watch, I'm happy. I realize I could probably get a better example for $500, but that's not easy to find! With a 60 year old wrist watch, there will always be something wrong. I'm not a collector, so I just need it to run and look good on my wrist.

The only concern would be the missing case clamp -- does this mean the movement would rattle around and potentially become damaged? Or can the watch operate without this component?

Thanks again!

- A

11. TexOmega Aug 14, 2017

A stable movement is a happy movement and will give you the time a bit more accurately over time.

If a daily wearer, I'd want it cinched down well, but that's just me.

marco likes this.
  12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 14, 2017

[​IMG]

TexOmega, scbr215, ac106 and 2 others like this.
  13. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 14, 2017

Definite redial. That is a ~1950 watch according to the serial, tritium wasn't used until ~1960. The lume on 2577s is always radium AFAIK, so no Ts should be seen. That and the fact that there is no lume actually on that dial and that isn't a 2577 dial that i have ever seen before. Not a great example I am afraid.

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 14, 2017

Just to drive home the point about the Ts: https://omegaforums.net/threads/more-education-t-swiss-made-t-always-tritium.37052/#post-423205

15. Kmart Aug 14, 2017

I would say that missing case clamps would be characterized as something being catastrophically wrong.

Also, I think you'll find if you do even a little bit of research that finding a good, correct example for around $500 is not all that difficult. Saying that "there will always be something wrong with a 60 year old wristwatch" is simply untrue.

16. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 14, 2017

Can't "like" this enough.

17. adamB Aug 14, 2017

Yes this is a concern. The watch is still in the mail, so I will have it looked at when it arrives. If it is in fact missing, refund is still an option. Thanks again everyone, you've all be very helpful!

PS. If I do end up returning it, where would be a good place to look for a replacement? I know there's a 'for sale' section on this site, but I cannot post in it for some reason (don't have permission)?

18. Kmart Aug 14, 2017

You can still purchase watches without access tot the sales forums. You can just send the seller a PM.

19. Uniqez Aug 14, 2017

Have someone mentioned two missing screws?[​IMG]

Edited Aug 14, 2017
    marco, BenBagbag and ac106 like this.
  20. marco Aug 15, 2017

Adam, if you can , send it back. Thanks to this forum and its VERY informed members you have the amo !

adamB likes this.