Forums Latest Members
  1. Greggo325 Aug 22, 2015

First of all, hello, and thanks for all the great info on this forum!

I picked up a Seamaster with a 1012 movement. Now that I have it in my hands (ebay purchase), I'm not so sure if I got an original watch. It seems to be missing the screws that hold down the movement to the case, and one of the bridges (I think that's the right word) that I see signed on most 1012's is blank on mine.

Any advice, thoughts on originality? If it's not a genuine Omega, I can get my money back through ebay.

image3-1.JPG image2-3.JPG image1-3.JPG image4-2.JPG
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 22, 2015

I'm not going to claim whether it's authentic or fake because there are too many experts here who can say with certainty, but here's a photo of a 166.0216 reference (stamped inside the case back) and I'm not seeing the similarity. [​IMG]

3. Greggo325 Aug 22, 2015

Thanks for the info. It is starting to sound like one of those watch monsters Dr. Frankenstein put together...dang. I do like the red hand and grey dial. Does the case even look correct for the 1012 movement period?

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 22, 2015

5. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 22, 2015

Return it and spend your money on better ones. I see no real substance.
    Redial in wrong case with a not so good movement.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 22, 2015

Looks like a Mumbai Special to me.
    gatorcpa

Northernman likes this.
  7. Greggo325 Aug 22, 2015

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'm returning it, and when I receive a refund I will be watching the postings here for a good one.

Northernman likes this.
  8. Greggo325 Aug 27, 2015

I'm getting a refund for the first watch, so I did a lot more looking, and a whole lot more homework. I think I did better this time: 166.020 w/560 movement, date window cyclops, and gold filled case back logo.

Omega Seamaster MINE.JPG Omega Seamaster MINE5.JPG Omega Seamaster MINE4.JPG Omega Seamaster MINE3.JPG Omega Seamaster MINE2.JPG Omega Seamaster MINE1.JPG

9. lillatroll Aug 27, 2015

Hallo, glad you got your money back.
    Are there any pictures of the dial close up? I only ask because it would be easier to say if this is a redial or not before you buy. Personally I am suspicious of pictures that don't show close up, makes me think that the seller is trying to hide something.

10. Greggo325 Aug 27, 2015

I should have specifieid that I already purchased it. I will take more pictures of the dial this weekend.

Which Watch Next likes this.
  11. Greggo325 Aug 29, 2015

I'm not getting great shots of it, but I see some aging in the chrome hour markers, and one other tiny spot. The rest of the watch looks amazing, save for a couple slight marks in the signed crystal, and small marks in the case back near the 1 o'clock lug. Give me your honest opinions, please...does anyone see obvious signs of a redial? Any other thoughts on this watch? Your opinions are appreciated.

image1-4.JPG image3-2.JPG image4-3.JPG image5.JPG IMG_4689.JPG
  12. lillatroll Aug 29, 2015

The one thing that sticks out from the photos, is that there appears to be little black lines right next to the markers at 2, 4 and 5. The possible explanation for this is that they have some how come loose and been poorly reattached or someone has repainted the dial and they have been poorly reattached. It could just be down to the photos, but if those little black lines are on the dial, next to those markers then either the hour markers need to be reattached properly or your watch probably has is a redial. You will notice that they only appear on those three markers.
    It might not be something that bothers you, I know it would many collectors but it does has an effect on what the watch is worth, and thus how much you paid for it. If it was cheap than put it down to experience and enjoy it as an everyday wearer, if you paid a lot for it ask for a refund.

13. Geo! Aug 29, 2015

These were the first thing I noticed too! :(

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 29, 2015

Pretty sure that one is a redial also. Printing seems a bit fuzzy and of course there is the printing mistake previously mentioned.

You really need to be careful with vintage Omegas.

gatorcpa

15. Which Watch Next Aug 29, 2015

Looks to me like a replacement second hand too. It is very short. My Devilles and others I have seen extend to the minute track. Appears the seller's pictures were taken as the second hand swept past hour markers to mask this "short coming". Lastly I would check out that crown, as it it also appears to be a replacement.

16. Greggo325 Aug 29, 2015

Thank you for your help Gents!