Forums Latest Members

Did i buy a fault second hand reduced?!

1. Omeganewb Oct 27, 2018

hi so i started a thread last week about a reduced i was looking to buy a few people advised against given the watch had to papers etc but i went to see the watch and everything seemed ok

Then today 24hrs later i have found the stop watch hand keeps stopping and the hand reset button (3rd one down) no longer sends the hand back. Yesterday i could click it and the hand moved back to 11pm, but today it wont even “click”.

Do i need to wind the watch - this is my first omega so clueless, thinking i should have paid abit more and bought from a shop instead of private seller. Are these relativly cheap fixes from and private watch repair shop?

Thanks

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 27, 2018

Sounds like something may have broken inside that works the reset. I am not sure about your winding question; is the watch stopped now even though you have been wearing it? If it is stopped you can wind it, and then start wearing; and if the automatic winding does not keep the watch wound then that is likely another issue requiring a movement service. And it could be that a piece in the chrono complication broke off and is wedged elsewhere, prevent proper functioning of the watch.

Also, I am not sure why it would have reset to 11:00 yesterday; don't you mean 12:00?

3. jimmyd13 Oct 27, 2018

The watch is a 2-2-4 chronograph. That means the chrono starts and pauses with the pusher at the 2 o clock position. The pusher at 4 resets. You cannot reset the hand if the chronograph is running (even if the spring has run down to the point that the watch has stopped - you will still have to press 2 to pause before you can press 4 to reset).

Has the watch stopped because the mainspring has run down? Does it restart if you shake it for a while or wind it? (I was going to suggest that you wear it on your right wrist, but we'll leave that joke out of it for now).

4. MRC Oct 27, 2018

I was one of the three people saying "walk away", and no-one that I saw said "snap it up". You were advised that a proper independent service would cost at least £350-- about 35% the price of the watch, and that was considered low by another poster.

There are no cheap fixes.

The Reduced is considered a horribly difficult watch to service.

My normal watchmaker (super reputation for mechanical chronographs, he looks after my 1960's Heuers) would not even look at my Reduced.

Give it to Omega to sort out? Bill will be £500 minimum. Yes, I have sent a watch to Omega in Bienne, but I had owned it from new and the cost of that service was about twice its current worth.

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 28, 2018

Why did you ask for opinions if you were going to ignore them? If you are lucky, it’s just that you aren’t active enough to keep the watch wound automatically. Manually wind it for around 60 turns and then see if it behaves as it should. Next see if it is keeping time OK. If it doesn’t, then you should insist on a return and refund. Unfortunate but not unexpected.

Edited Oct 28, 2018
    Omeganewb and frederico like this.
  6. Omeganewb Oct 28, 2018

118BC55D-188F-4C17-B37D-D0ECA097B46C.jpeg
  7. Omeganewb Oct 28, 2018

Maybe the hand being lose was causing it not to reset properly? I didnt understand what you said about chrono starting and stopping at 2o clock, but when even stopping it firsf past 2 and clicking reset it didnt work

Taking it to a watch repairs now

8. rcs914 Oct 28, 2018

I'd take it back to the seller now instead and get my money back.

9. Omeganewb Oct 28, 2018

Hes not responding to texts. And i bought privately not via ebay/paypal.

I paid by debit card could i raise something with my bank?

10. rcs914 Oct 28, 2018

There are almost no protections with debit from my understanding - only credit. Since the money has almost certainly gone out of your account it is essentially gone.

11. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 28, 2018

When you say privately, what exactly were the circumstances? Where was it adverstised? You may have leverage over the seller if he is a forum regular somewhere or you can make some noise which embarrasses him enough. Name the seller here. I don’t buy that he was unwitting and didn’t know it had issues, you have been ripped off here are deserve a refund. I do think you should have listened to the warnings but I am on your side in getting restitution.

Omeganewb likes this.
  12. Omeganewb Oct 28, 2018

It was listed on chrono24 but i met him and paid outside the site

I know where we works and his fb so can inform his employers and friends

13. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 28, 2018

Approach him first and state that he has sold you defective goods and you insist he refunds you. If he gives you the brush off then I would name and shame him. And yes I would make noise on fb, wherever, just be careful to stay the right side of the libel law.

14. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 28, 2018

What the fu--???? His employers? Please tell me you are kidding.

Honestly, you purchased a watch many told you not to purchase. And you paid for it in a manner that offers no protection. You made multiple poor decisions here. While I agree with being diligent in trying to get your money back, please take some responsibility for getting yourself into this mess.

Davidt, KingCrouchy and Joe_A like this.
  15. Alphasports Oct 28, 2018

The chrono hand acting strange can be a sign of its impending falling off...mine did the same this summer...AFTER coming back from full Omega factory service! It went back in to be correctly reinstalled but when I got it back again the entire chrono no longer worked, like zero response. Brought it back again, they said it worked fine in their shop (of course!) so they sent it to Toronto for a full inspection (again) where it's been for 2 months. Haven't had it for more than a day since April. Initial full service cost me CAD $1000 and it's been back twice since then. So yes, when they say the Dubois-Depraz chrono sandwiches are troublesome, I would tend to agree. Nice watch but a PITA.

16. Omeganewb Oct 28, 2018

Thanks all, when i take into account the price i paid + service its still an ok deal, big learning curve for the future

So i just took it to an Omega store and booked it for the full service. What i forgot to ask is, does the service include ALL repairs ie is there a chance they could charge me more than the £550 i paid? The lady didnt mention this

17. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 28, 2018

No the price should be all in, no extras, but it’ll be around £550. You could try elsewhere though. Watchguy would be a lot cheaper. Swiss Time Services would save less but still be authorised and very reliable.

18. jimmyd13 Oct 28, 2018

I don't mean for this to sound personal but you've made just about every mistake in buying a watch that it's possible to make:

1) bought a watch that you were unfamiliar with and unable to fully inspect and assess;
    2) ignored the advice of a number of people with far more experience who said this was one to pass on;
    3) made the purchase privately with no warranty; and,
    4) paid in a way that offers no protection.

There is no such thing as a cheap, quality watch in the same way that there's no such thing as a cheap luxury car. The only way that you can get a good deal on watches is to know exactly what you're buying and what it may need. That knowledge is an investment itself - it doesn't come quickly or cheaply. Still, it pains me (and I'm sure others reading) that you've paid so much for your education. £550 is the norm, but still expensive, for a complete service and repair. You might want to make a call to STS on Monday and ask them if they can rescue you from this deal for less.

19. frederico Oct 28, 2018

This^ x 1000
    No idea what the OP has learned so far or what he hopes to learn from this situation.

Omeganewb likes this.
  20. Omeganewb Dec 11, 2018

I got my girly watch back serviced/fixed and now working fine, loving wearing it and now looking into the next purchase - a seamaster/tudor sports watch!

3B0670BC-19B0-44CA-A362-32627F6036CE.jpeg
    WYO_Watch and STANDY like this.